PDA

View Full Version : Are You Using Text Mobile Marketing Yet?

mobile resolutions
03-05-2011, 02:27 AM
Mobile media is the future of advertising! Text message advertising WILL slash your marketing costs and increase your profits by 50% in 30 days. Anyone using this to market their business? If not, why?

Spider
03-05-2011, 08:51 AM
And it will likely quadruple the number of people who hate you!

mobile resolutions
03-06-2011, 11:12 PM
On the contrary...our system is 100% permission based so you are only sending out information to people who want to hear from you! @spider Have you ever used text mobile marketing in any of your marketing campaigns?

Spider
03-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Never. Don't intend to. I don't even use my phone for texting.

Capitalist
03-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Never. Don't intend to. I don't even use my phone for texting.

While I don't use text marketing (yet), this is rather short-sighted in my opinion. I don't visit niche sites or buy vinyl decals either, but others obviously do - I've made a ton of money from each.

You don't have to use your phone to send the messages, any more than you have to use an email client to send an email marketing campaign. You can either use a tool designed with the needs of a business owner in mind, or you can pay a marketing firm to do it for you.

I don't care what the mechanism is - if it provides value to my customers and provides leads for my business - I'm in.

Spider
03-07-2011, 09:48 AM
However you dress it up, I find it intrusive and I don't imagine myself doing it. And I don't feel I could advise my clients to do it. If you want to do it, I don't imagine there is any law against it. Please don't send me any text advertsing, though.

Capitalist
03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
However you dress it up, I find it intrusive and I don't imagine myself doing it. And I don't feel I could advise my clients to do it. If you want to do it, I don't imagine there is any law against it. Please don't send me any text advertsing, though.

It really isn't a matter of dressing it up - it's completely opt-in. I don't think anyone here is discussing getting a list of cellphone number and sending random text messages out.

I don't mean to sound blunt, but I truly hope you don't advise your clients based on what marketing methods you feel would work on you - if so, you are doing them a disservice. You are simply not the target audience for this advertising method.

I carry my iPhone 24/7. I communicate on whatever platform my clients and partners prefer - for some, that's via phone. For other, that's email and the occasional physical letter. For others, that's text messages and Facebook. It really doesn't matter to me - I'm here to make money and provide value to my customers, not to fuss over methodology. I am part of the target audience, here.

Jacoby
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Couldn't agree more. I'm consulting a text messaging advertising business right now. I cannot believe the amount of legal work they have to go through. Interesting stuff.

CloptonCapital
03-23-2011, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't pay someone else for this type of marketing, by that I mean a full service firm. There are plenty of sell serve systems.

Blessed
03-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't pay someone else for this type of marketing, by that I mean a full service firm. There are plenty of sell serve systems.

I would - because of the legal work - I'd want to make sure all of that stuff was covered 100% and that isn't my area of expertise so I either spend time learning the laws or farm it out to someone else who is 100% liable if we infringe on a law and incur a fine. Before I'd spend the time learning what I needed to know to do it right I'd let someone else do it a few times and see if the return warranted the extra effort on my part to learn what I needed to know to do it legally and effectively.

deesseboutique
03-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Hmm, interesting.

I see it from both sides. I like using text messages to save time and effort. If somebody needs a short bit of info from me (or the reverse) a text is the ideal way to convey it. You don't have to answer the phone, converse or waste time checking voicemail to get the answer/info you need. Fast, clean and efficient.

I might want to receive marketing info via text, but that is a BIG might. I would rather get that via email where I can check it at intervals through the day. Texts can be invasive in that sense, so unless it is information I need NOW - no, I would not want marketing stuff sent via text.

Would MY customers want it - hmmm - again, maybe they would. Hard to say.

There is definitely a place for it though - and Opt-In is fine.

Is there REALLY that much legal involvement for texting ? Is it akin to sending unsolicited faxes because there is a possible monetary cost for the recipient ?

I have been spammed both ways - by fax and text and it is infuriating - so I can see the reasons for safeguards.

CloptonCapital
03-24-2011, 01:55 AM
I would - because of the legal work - I'd want to make sure all of that stuff was covered 100% and that isn't my area of expertise so I either spend time learning the laws or farm it out to someone else who is 100% liable if we infringe on a law and incur a fine. Before I'd spend the time learning what I needed to know to do it right I'd let someone else do it a few times and see if the return warranted the extra effort on my part to learn what I needed to know to do it legally and effectively.

If you read the CANSPAM act you would read that you can not delegate away legal responsibility. It clearly says that if you pay someone to market on your behalf and they screw up you are also at fault. The self services online have failsafes in them. It's easy, have an opt-out as in "reply to this message with the word stop to no longer receive messages" and don't send messages to people you dont have a relationship with. PS I've researched this, unless you're running a night club or some other business that people go to repeatedly, dont bother there is no conversion.

CloptonCapital
03-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Hmm, interesting.

I see it from both sides. I like using text messages to save time and effort. If somebody needs a short bit of info from me (or the reverse) a text is the ideal way to convey it. You don't have to answer the phone, converse or waste time checking voicemail to get the answer/info you need. Fast, clean and efficient.

I might want to receive marketing info via text, but that is a BIG might. I would rather get that via email where I can check it at intervals through the day. Texts can be invasive in that sense, so unless it is information I need NOW - no, I would not want marketing stuff sent via text.

Would MY customers want it - hmmm - again, maybe they would. Hard to say.

There is definitely a place for it though - and Opt-In is fine.

Is there REALLY that much legal involvement for texting ? Is it akin to sending unsolicited faxes because there is a possible monetary cost for the recipient ?

I have been spammed both ways - by fax and text and it is infuriating - so I can see the reasons for safeguards.

SMS spamming was made illegal almost immediately after text messaging became popular. The only text message list I was ever on that I liked was one that would give me a discount into a nightclub and it was opt-in and run by mobilestorm

mobile resolutions
04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Attached is information for an SMS Text Message Advertising company that is becoming the .com of Mobile Media.
Find out more...

Power Packed 90210 Review
Access Code: 833195#

Text faststart to 90210
Get started today!
www. mobileresolutions.com

Hope this helps those who are seriously looking into this as an option to brand and promote your business.

jamesray50
04-03-2011, 11:15 PM
What about the cost to the person receiveing the text? Does it work for all carriers? One of my pay as you go plans a few years ago charged for texts coming and going. I wouldn't want to pay to receive advertising.

mobile resolutions
05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Cost depends on persons plan with their carrier although most people are on unlimited plans and those who aren't choose whether they want to subscribe to a mobile campaign to receive info. It works for all major carriers.

Spider
05-07-2011, 09:10 AM
There does not appear to be any opting in or opting out process available - certainly not on my case. I am beginning to see far too much unasked-for mobile advertising - CVS is the current nuisance, leaving me text messaages and voice messages on a regular basis. I have stopped using CVS totally and now only shop at Walgreen's or the general supermarket. (I have also sold my stock in CVS)

I'd hate to see how many road accidents mobile advertising causes, given people's propensity to answer their cellphone when driving!

Mobile advertising is in the same class as Fax advertising - a forced cost to the recipient and therefore totally unacceptable. in my view.

billbenson
05-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Ya, I find it far worse than spam. I dropped a company I had a subscription with because they kept sending me texts. I only see this as a way to piss your customers off (or prospects)

Russ in Vancouver
05-07-2011, 02:51 PM
There will always be spammers that are not aware of the laws in place to prevent this type of advertising. As MR said, it is opt in, one reason has already been mentioned in this thread, because it can cost the non opt in phone owner money to receive the spam.

But there are many great benefits to this type of marketing,
real estate, "text 90210 to receive more info on this listing"
restaurants, text us to hear about our daily and weekly specials
Car sales, text us to see our best deals or new inventory
Residential contractors on a job site with signage, text us to hear about our services and get a free estimate
Courier companies put a small sticker on their bumper, text us to see our rates
the list goes on and on

Old school still works, but sometimes we have to go with the flow.....
From my understanding, the younger generation texts an insane amount, hehe, Ive only read about it, but honestly, I cant even imagine how they can text so many times a day.

Spider
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
... But there are many great benefits to this type of marketing,
real estate, "text 90210 to receive more info on this listing"
restaurants, text us to hear about our daily and weekly specials
Car sales, text us to see our best deals or new inventory
Residential contractors on a job site with signage, text us to hear about our services and get a free estimate
Courier companies put a small sticker on their bumper, text us to see our rates
the list goes on and on ...All of the above I see as a subterfuge to get my cellphone number - which would result in my making note of the company and choosing not to do business with them. And why would they want my cellphone number? To call, text or message me in the future, stuff I have not asked for.

real estate, "text 90210 to receive more info on this listing" Me: You don't have to make me call you to get the information if all you want to do is let me have the information - you can put the information right there where you said " text...."

restaurants, text us to hear about our daily and weekly specials Me: Why should I have to text you for daily and weekly (and monthly and yearly) specials when all I want to know is what you are serving today?!

Car sales, text us to see our best deals or new inventory Me: I would think most people, when they go shopping for a car know what type of car they want. They - and most certainly, I - do not want to know about all your inventory, only the type of car I would like to buy. I can do that best by calling you, not have you call me.

Residential contractors on a job site with signage, text us to hear about our services and get a free estimate Me: You are not going to be able to give me an estimate from my phone number. You will have to call me. Well, how about I call you, when it suits me, not when it suits you!

Courier companies put a small sticker on their bumper, text us to see our rates Me: So I call you - while driving - concentrating on your bumper sticker instead of watching the traffic, the stop lights, that child playing on the curb, and focusing on my driving (making me a hazard on the road.) I'll let go of the steering wheel so I can write down your rates (making me more of a hazard) just in case one day I would have a package to send. Oh no! Not 'one day' because ylou will be calling me back before I even reach my destination, which I'll answer - while driving - making me a hazard, once again!

It's a trick to get our phone numbers, whichever way you look at it. And any company that says to me so blatantly that they think I am stupid enough not to realize that, does not get my business.

Spider
05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Oh, did I mention that I don't like, and don't want to receive, mobile advertising?

:-)

billbenson
05-08-2011, 12:58 AM
Oh, did I mention that I don't like, and don't want to receive, mobile advertising?

:-)

While I have the same attitude as you do Spider, I wonder if all cell phone users do? For example I am on the email list of various places I buy electronics from. I opted in. I also filter them to send them to their own folder. Perhaps people that are more dedicated to cell phones and less attached to computers want the same thing and have a mechanism for controlling it?

Spider
05-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Sure. And perhaps some people who own a fax machine like to receive fax-spam. It wasn't a good idea to let inconsiderate marketers send unsolicited faxes and it's not a good idea to let inconsiderate marketers send unsolicited text and voicemail messages.

If people want to receive that stuff, I have no objection - and I am not objecting. What I object to is the unsolicited spam. (Actually - that's what spam is - unsolicited.)

This sort of thing should be opt-in, not opt-out. And anyone caught sending messages to anyone who has not specifically requested the message should be fined heavily, publically lambasted and, I would hope, the public would then not deal with them. Being caught spamming should have very serious consequences. Currently, the penalty isn't even a slap on the wrist - it's more likely to be increased business.

billbenson
05-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Agreed Spider. My question is do people who really know texting have ways of controlling / deleting etc spam? I just use my cell to call a tow truck when I break down, so I don't know the technology.

Spider
05-08-2011, 05:25 PM
The textifinados probably have ways to combat the deluge. It's the others - the ordinary people - who use their phone as as phone, that are getting abused.

billbenson
05-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Ya, but we are in a day and age where we need to be ahead of the learning curve. Think of parents trying to control their kids texting or on the computer.

Spider
05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Why should I think of parents trying to control their children? Why should someone who only wants to use their phone as a phone have to be ahead of the learning curve? For someone who does not wish to learn something, there is no learning curve!

Technology certainly is wonderful and amazing, but I don't agree that excuses other people or give them lisense to be inconsiderate towards the remainder who do not share their entusiasm for technology nor for the stuff they are trying to sell. One might prefer the bicycle as a means of transport and choose to forego the charms of the automobile, but that does not give automobile drivers the right to run people down if they don't get out of the way fast enough!

All I am asking for is a little consideration for the rights and needs of people who choose to not be pestered by others. Is that too much to ask?

954SEO
05-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Spider, then don't opt in lol. I completely understand what you're saying. I'm an avid iPhone user and small business owner and trying to think of a way that this makes complete sense, and it doesn't. Isn't spam email enough?... I have a hard enough time with unsolicited phone calls. My lid would flip if I started getting spam texts.

I do notice some businesses and other organizations running text campaigns, but I think Facebook and Twitter are better ways to follow someone/something. I'd rather "Like" a business on Facebook and read about it in my feed (maybe).. Am I wrong?

Spider
05-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Spider, then don't opt in ... Of course I don't opt in. That's not the problem. The problem comes from companies that call me, fax me, text me and e-mail me without being invited to do so. Unsolicited. Not opted in. They seem to think they can pester anyone they choose with impunity and as long as I don't opt-out they can be inconsiderate and make a nuisance of themselves.

mobile resolutions
05-26-2011, 12:36 AM
@Spider- As stated previously my company offers an OPT-IN ONLY service for those who choose to market their businesses using mobile media. Sorry for your previous negative experiences with other companies in this market.

@954SEO-I love facebook and twitter and am an avid user of both, but like millions of others I access both through my cell. As a business owner why would you not capitalize on the one thing that the majority of people carry with them 24/7. How many times today did you stop what you were doing to read a tweet or FB status? Now compare that to how many times today did you stop what you were doing to read a text? Nothing wrong with connecting with your customers who want to hear from you via a SMS text message campaign (my company even offers a social media connection that sends the same text to your facebook, twitter,and linkedin accounts with 1 click of a button).

Spider
05-26-2011, 09:42 AM
... (my company even offers a social media connection that sends the same text to your facebook, twitter,and linkedin accounts with 1 click of a button).That's the next thing that drives me up the wall. A person has an account at Facebook plus a business page, and accounts at Twitter and LinkedIn. I have an account at Facebook and LinkedIn - and let's suppose I have one at Twitter, too, as would many people. This is my friend so I connect to him at all these places plus I am a fan of his business page.

Now, when my friend posts a message on Facebook via your service, he also wants to reach his business fans, too, so he posts there, as well. Your serivce sends his message to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. I have my Facebook, LinkedIn and let's suppose Twitter, all set up to send me an e-mail when any of my friends post on my feed.

This simple arrangement has me receiving this one message eight times. I have 257 friends on Facebook - times 8.

Talk about information overload!

tylerhutchinson
05-26-2011, 06:40 PM
I agree with Spiders point of view. As a consultant and marketing firm if I see where a company can benefit form it, I would promote using it and trying it out.

My personal opinion is I choose when I want to see advertisement. I assume watching tv or being on the internet I will see advertisement and have to deal with it. If I am out driving or shopping I do not want to be bothered by having my cell phone going off over advertisement. I know a lot of people feel the same way as me. Text message advertisement is not being accepted as easily as others. Luckily their are apps that can help block cell advertisements.

Spider
05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
I have an app for my cellphone that works perfectly every time. If you send me $50 I'll tell you what it is, but it sounds like "I don't answer the phone, unless it's my wife calling!"

Jason Didsman
05-27-2011, 07:26 AM
Only thing I would disagree with is that sms someone every day would annoy them, especially given that they generally cant or dont communicate back with bulk smsing. With T and FB people have the option to see you message.

That said, it is a fantastic way to send a awesome call to action offer, very direct and likely to be very effective with the right message. Just don't do it to often.

Cheers
JasonD

Spider
05-27-2011, 11:33 AM
How about, like, Never!

Nicole Hurley
06-03-2011, 01:16 PM
I think that marketing is meeting technology and Mobile Marketing is going to start booming, and already is. Text marketing is great for many reasons, but the one that comes to mind to me is TEXT MESSAGES HAVE A 95% READ RATE WITHIN THE FIRST 15 MINUTES! It's real time marketing. I sign up for mobile marketing at my favorite spots if they have the option to. Why not get free stuff, discounted items, or hear about special events?? I think that mobile marketing is a great technology!

For those of you worried about legal issues with this - there is an MMA, Mobile Marketing Association, that sets standards, and best practices methods. I would like to think that all Marketing firms in the business are aware of what is right and wrong, and wouldn't advise you to do anything that you could get in trouble with.

For those of you who are considering going mobile, I would like to suggest that you research it... get a few different prices, from a few different companies... surprisingly to many I'm sure, there are some Mobile Marketing companies that have patents to offer things that others can't. So look into these things - keep in mind your POS system, and see if there are any companies integrated with your system. This way you can make coupon redemption easy for not only employees but also for accounting purposes.

Mobile Marketing is great, and just because you don't text on your phone doesn't mean your target market doesn't!!