PDA

View Full Version : The "little" things

Dan Furman
03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
In business, I find "the little things" mean a LOT. And a lot of companies cheap out on them, too.

For example, a nice restaurant serving cheap bread... that really annoys me, and negatively reflects on them. Or last week, I got rid of cable and got DirectTV installed. Everything went well, except that I had three boxes for three TV's, but they only gave me one printed channel guide card. Yea, I could print out one from the website, but it's not the same thing. How much could it really cost them to include one nice channel guide per decoder box - 25 cents?

Now, I'm not going to get rid of DirectTV over this, but it ensured my very first experience with my new setup was somewhat negative. Over something that likely cost less than a quarter. Just stupid.

In my own business, I try to go the opposite route. I tend to overdeliver. For example, each project goes out with a nice readme file that's pretty comprehensive in what I was thinking when I wrote the project - it's obvious I spent time creating it. Also, if doing web copy, if needed, I'll sometimes purchase a pic(s) from istockphoto to insert into the copy (which helps me write anyway), and just give it to them. I don't always do this (especially if they already have their own pictures), but the ones that get it feel like they got a gift. Costs me maybe a few bucks. On a 1k project? Yea, I can afford that.

My goal is to have them think "Wow, he didn't have to do that. Cool". I want the experience to be positive - I think it goes a long way.

Ask yourself: what extra "little things" do you do?

Spider
03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Super post, Dan. And I did appreciate the picture. It got my thinking together, too.

Blessed
03-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I do this all the time - certain "little things" are definitely worth the effort. I find the payoff is in referrals and repeat customers.

Today I took a call from a customer for a client - I was able to do a little research find the answer to the question and go another step beyond that and find out what the customer could have done to ensure a smoother transaction and gave them all of that information. The customer was very pleased because we "went the extra mile" the client was very pleased because the customer was happy and happy customers equal more business. It took an extra two or three minutes to find the extra information and an extra five to explain it to the customer - so for 7 minutes of my time I was able to further solidify a good relationship between my client and their customer.

I have other examples - especially in my design work, but that is the most recent example and it's in a new line of virtual assistant type work I've started doing which is paying out well and is a compliment to my design work for certain clients!

greenoak
03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
we put t he soft more expensive tp inthe bathroom...and give free coffee and cookies every day...figuring most folks stay over an hour and might need some nice extras...

Harold Mansfield
03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
There's always a few things that I do that weren't asked for, but I know they will need down the road, or adds some extra "pizazz" or professionalism to the project.

It's a fine line. I have to pick and choose who I go the extra mile for because many times it's either not appreciated, expected, or opens the door to ask for more free stuff and time. For me, buying a couple of images can open the door for them asking for a flash slide show or more images.

I also find that when I do add a few freebies that I think a project needs, they then have less respect for the time I spend doing the entire project and don't consider an extra hour or 2 a big deal that I should charge for.

It just depends on the client. I don't do it for everyone. Some people will try to take advantage and "one more thing" you to death.
I can usually tell within the first phone call who needs to be "a la carted" and who can be trusted to stay within the services of a flat rate.
I don't always get it right though.

huggytree
03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
i learned this at around my 2nd year in business...the differences between success and failure, highend or low end is some very small decisions.......people will pay extra for those small extra's......

one of my biggest things i do is get the bids complete within 24 hours-typically within 8 hours....my customers are amazed when a bid comes over their fax the same day..other tradesman take 1-2 weeks....it takes no extra effort, just a commitment to get it done when i get home than night.

same day billing also seems unusual...why doesnt everyone send invoices asap? i want to get paid

when i have a call back i typically show up same day...sometimes within 2 hours....even if i have to pay extra to get the repair part NOW! i pay it just to impress...

you treat a customer right and they dont price shop you....ive had some beg me to keep them as customers when they make a mistake....its like the relationship is backwards and i have the control....

im lucky that im in a type of business where most of my competitors run their businesses poorly...

if price isnt the customers only concern i win and hold their business

Steve B
03-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I also have a similar advantage over my competition. Most of them are idiots and don't take care of their customers.

I do about 20 or 30 little things in every job that is a step above what anyone else does. Nobody would notice any one of them, but they don't take much extra time and only cost a few more dollars. When you add them up, it makes for a significantly better experience for the customer and the dogs.