PDA

View Full Version : is anyone here on google places?

greenoak
03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
we just signed up....its kind of neat....i was wondering where it would turn up ...just when you googled green oak?
somehow we are first in our town on a part of google places, with some reviews...we didnt have anything to do with the reviews....but they would make great ads...we have more reviews than the other businesses and i think that was why we are first....even tho we just signed up yesterday...i have no idea how the nice reviews got on there.....
i cant think of what to do with this, but a lot might see it and use it...good map too...

Martina Iring
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
That's wonderful that you already have some good reviews! Some businesses struggle to get their customers to make the effort of writing something up. A terrific credibility booster!

Businesses can get on Google Places without the business owner being involved. But you definitely did the right thing by claiming your listing. Now you can provide all the important information about your business - business hours, contact information, a link to your website, pictures etc... Make sure that you have taken advantage of all the information fields.

One great feature about Places is that you are able to offer your customers a coupon for a small monthly fee. This might give people a little extra incentive to actually come into your shop and browse your antiques.

All the best with your business :)

Cheers,

Martina

J from Michigan
03-04-2011, 08:24 PM
A few of my competitors have been abusing it... they claim fake addresses.

Very frustrating! :(

greenoak
03-04-2011, 09:38 PM
sounds good martina....i think i have a lot to learn about google places....
can you take bad reviews off j?

J from Michigan
03-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Sorry, what I meant is that my competition are using false addresses, so they show up in searches for different locations searched...

They use gas stations and strip malls for addresses.

Capitalist
03-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I've actually made money claiming Google Places listings for people. I target lawyers, dentists, and doctors, have a small presentation showing an unclaimed listing and one that is actively updated, and offer to claim and build out their listing for $200. I've had 8 or 9 take me up on the offer so far - easy money, and the client is getting benefit without having to learn the tech behind it.

Paper Shredder Clay
03-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Great idea, but how do you approach them without sounding spammy?

greenoak
03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
ive heard of people trying to sell wanted names to people...... id hate to buy my name from someone who had it and only had it to keep it from someone who wanted it from getting it in the normal way....
seems like a wierd way to make money...i know its the norm tho...
helping someone get on places sounds like a good idea....especially if you werent holding their name hostage...

jpohl
03-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Sorry, what I meant is that my competition are using false addresses, so they show up in searches for different locations searched...

They use gas stations and strip malls for addresses.

Not sure it helps but I know Yelp cracks down on that sort of stuff. I never suggest anybody do fake reviews because if you do it wrong, you are way worse off than not having any reviews. So you can either wait for them to get tripped up or you can add reviews pointing out that other reviews are coming from gas stations etc. There is another less ethical solution but I'll let you figure it out from what I wrote about how they can get busted in the first place

deesseboutique
03-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Hi Ann
This is Angela from De'esse on the Bohemeian Retailers blog.

Yes - I am on Google places. It is just another cog in the wheel as I see it - one more place to get your name and info posted on the web. I do see there are some "impressions" but very few clicks so I don't know what to say about it other than make sure all your information is up to date and add as much info and links as they allow. All exposure is GOOD.

deesseboutique
03-17-2011, 03:05 AM
Capitalist
So you don't actually go in and "claim" the listing but rather explain how you could do that service for them?

I could see how the non-tech savvy person could be especially suspect of your offer though. I see the value - for a business with nobody on staff capable of editing these listings that can be a big negative. Better to pay someone to get the job done and done right.

deesseboutique
03-17-2011, 03:06 AM
Capitalist
So you don't actually go in and "claim" the listing but rather explain how you could do that service for them?

I could see how the non-tech savvy person could be especially suspect of your offer though. I see the value - for a business with nobody on staff capable of editing these listings that can be a big negative. Better to pay someone to get the job done and done right.

greenoak
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
hi angela!! ...glad to see you here... i really like google places....not too sure about the adwords for us tho...
i sure dont understand but iwegot on google places and used our $100 google words coupon in the last couple of weeks......and yesterday and this morning greenoak is #1 if you google shabby chic....i mean above rachel ashwell...it must be just local....but dang!!! i dont mean as an ad, just the regular google.... i dont get it...but ill sure take it...we did use shabby chic in our adwords ...

Spider
03-17-2011, 09:18 AM
... i dont get it...but ill sure take it...we did use shabby chic in our adwords ...That is very interesting!

For techie readers (please excuse me, Ann) - Does this signify that Google artificially improves the natural ranking for Adwords clients?

greenoak
03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
i wondered that too....it isnt really a huge word on our site...but all the big guys in the shabby world probably use both places and ad words too....
. we arent first down in texas are we?......could you check?
the ramifications of this could be really good for us..... even if its short lived....

Spider
03-17-2011, 09:38 AM
You mean, you want me to go to G?! Okay - for you, Ann!

Shabby chic =

Chic Shabby Sale
Save up to 82% on Chic Shabby Bargains!
buycheapr.com/Chic-Shabby
Search ResultsRachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Official SitePoplin and linen bedding, slipcovered furniture, accessories and baby bedding.

Shop - Interiors and Exteriors - Heritage - Contact
Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Official Site (http://www.shabbychic.com/) - Cached - SimilarGallery - Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Official SiteInteriors and Exteriors · Details · Behind The Scenes · Shop · Press · Blog ...
Gallery - Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Official Site (http://www.shabbychic.com/gallery/interiors-and-exteriors/) - CachedShow more results from shabbychic.comShopping results for shabby chic

Princess Emily Carriage Canopy Full Size Bed 374-045$357
JoJo Designs Riley's Roses Shabby Chic Kids Bedding - 4 Piece Twin Set$80
Maxim 20113WTVI Larchmont 3 Light Shabby Chic Vienna Ivory Chandelier$134
Capital Lighting 4600SC 4 Light Petite Mini Chandelier Light$184
SWM 34709 Distressed Wood Carved Shabby Chic End Table White$51Simply Shabby Chic : Target Designers : Shopping Directory : TargetFind Simply Shabby Chic Target Designers Shopping Directory Products and Promotions such as Simply Shabby Chic, Bath Coordinates, Bath Rugs, Blankets, ...
www.target.com/Simply-Shabby-Chic-Designers-Shopping/b?... - Cachedshabby chic - EtsySpring Love . Golden White. Romantic Shabby chic Flowers and Birds with Swarovski ... $7.98 USD. Shabby Chic, Vintage 1950's Enamelware Pot, White & Brown ...
on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace. (http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type...shabby_chic) - CachedShabby chic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaShabby chic is a form of interior design where furniture and furnishings are either chosen for their age and signs of wear and tear or new items are ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabby_chic - Cached - SimilarShabby ChicMar 4, 2011 ... Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Couture has just launched a baby bespoke bedding collection. Customers can choose from a lovely selection of ...
rachelashwellshabbychic.blogspot.com/ - Cached - SimilarShabby Chic Design: Decorating Tips & IdeasFind shabby chic inspiration and decor ideas for your home from the ... Carter incorporates shabby chic and eco-friendly materials in this bedroom. ...
HGTV - Decorating, Outdoor Rooms, Landscaping Ideas, Kitchen and Bathroom Design (http://www.hgtv.com) › Decorating › Decorating Basics - Cached - SimilarSHABBY CHICŪ Furniture | Bella Notte Linens | Somerset Bay ...Sommerset Bay Home Furniture and Bella Notte Linens at Cottagechicstore.com which is a lifestyle store offering the best Shabby Chic Furniture as well as ...
SHABBY CHICŪ Furniture | Bella Notte Linens | Somerset Bay Furniture | French Country Tables | Pine Cone Hill (http://www.cottagechicstore.com/) - Cached - SimilarShabby Chic & Cottage Style Furniture, Bedding, Lighting and FabricShabby Chic & Cottage Style Furniture, Bedding, Lighting and Fabric.
notooshabby.com/ - Cached

But that was Location: USA
Let me change location to Texas =

Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Official SitePoplin and linen bedding, slipcovered furniture, accessories and baby bedding.

Shop - Interiors and Exteriors - Heritage - Contact
Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Official Site (http://www.shabbychic.com/) - Cached - SimilarGallery - Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Official SiteInteriors and Exteriors · Details · Behind The Scenes · Shop · Press · Blog ...
Gallery - Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Official Site (http://www.shabbychic.com/gallery/interiors-and-exteriors/) - CachedShow more results from shabbychic.comShopping results for shabby chic

Princess Emily Carriage Canopy Full Size Bed 374-045$357
JoJo Designs Riley's Roses Shabby Chic Kids Bedding - 4 Piece Twin Set$80
Maxim 20113WTVI Larchmont 3 Light Shabby Chic Vienna Ivory Chandelier$134
Capital Lighting 4600SC 4 Light Petite Mini Chandelier Light$184
SWM 34709 Distressed Wood Carved Shabby Chic End Table White$51Simply Shabby Chic : Target Designers : Shopping Directory : TargetFind Simply Shabby Chic Target Designers Shopping Directory Products and Promotions such as Simply Shabby Chic, Bath Coordinates, Bath Rugs, Blankets, ...
www.target.com/Simply-Shabby-Chic-Designers-Shopping/b?... - Cachedshabby chic - EtsySpring Love . Golden White. Romantic Shabby chic Flowers and Birds with Swarovski ... $7.98 USD. Shabby Chic, Vintage 1950's Enamelware Pot, White & Brown ...
on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace. (http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type...shabby_chic) - CachedShabby chic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaShabby chic is a form of interior design where furniture and furnishings are either chosen for their age and signs of wear and tear or new items are ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabby_chic - Cached - SimilarShabby ChicMar 4, 2011 ... Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic Couture has just launched a baby bespoke bedding collection. Customers can choose from a lovely selection of ...
rachelashwellshabbychic.blogspot.com/ - Cached - SimilarShabby Chic Design: Decorating Tips & IdeasFind shabby chic inspiration and decor ideas for your home from the ... Carter incorporates shabby chic and eco-friendly materials in this bedroom. ...
HGTV - Decorating, Outdoor Rooms, Landscaping Ideas, Kitchen and Bathroom Design (http://www.hgtv.com) › Decorating › Decorating Basics - Cached - SimilarSHABBY CHICŪ Furniture | Bella Notte Linens | Somerset Bay ...Sommerset Bay Home Furniture and Bella Notte Linens at Cottagechicstore.com which is a lifestyle store offering the best Shabby Chic Furniture as well as ...
SHABBY CHICŪ Furniture | Bella Notte Linens | Somerset Bay Furniture | French Country Tables | Pine Cone Hill (http://www.cottagechicstore.com/) - Cached - SimilarShabby Chic & Cottage Style Furniture, Bedding, Lighting and FabricShabby Chic & Cottage Style Furniture, Bedding, Lighting and Fabric.
notooshabby.com/ - Cached(The Shabby Chic Cottage) Budget Decorating, Tutorials, DIY ...Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage: A little shabby, a little chic, a little cottage , a whole lot of ... Sign up to get The Shabby Chic Cottage in Feedburner! ...
(The Shabby Chic Cottage) Budget Decorating, Tutorials, DIY Projects, Mobile Home Reno (http://www.theshabbychiccottage.net/) - Cached - SimilarAmazon.com: Shabby Chic (9780060982041): Rachel Ashwell: Books

47 reviews - $23.10 - In stock

The Shabby Chic Home by Rachel Ashwell Hardcover $23.10 ... $23.10. Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic Treasure Hunti... by Rachel Ashwell ...
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more (http://www.amazon.com) › ... › Expert Advice › Rachel Ashwell - Cached - Similar

I hope that helps.

greenoak
03-17-2011, 09:43 AM
thanks spider..that was really nice of you....!!
..it must be local....
and btw....right now im gone , not even in the 7 pack...oh well...

deesseboutique
03-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Hmmm, that seems kind of suspicious ? Could the results possibly artificially enhanced during the ad placement , not necessarily organic results ?

Angela

greenoak
03-17-2011, 11:39 PM
i kind of wonder that too, , it could have caused a few more clicks..
..just checked...im first again!!!

Business Attorney
03-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Ann,

In Chicago, my search looked a lot like Frederick's. I'll email a PDF to you.

greenoak
03-18-2011, 04:21 PM
thanks DAVID, i just got it.... ....we are pretty close in geography......and you put in the exact search i did....
?????...even if its just local ill take it!!
heres what i got from justt putting shabby chic in the google search...and my ad is probably over by now....

Advanced searchAbout 10,700,000 results (0.15 seconds)
AdOld New Shabby & FUN. - Kitchen Islands Harvest Tables+more
Come See Us in Rochester IN
www.greenoakantiques.com

CloptonCapital
03-21-2011, 05:37 PM
I am on Google places, but frankly for financial business it doesn't help much. Since it's free and easy though I would say just do it anyway.

lisawilliams
03-23-2011, 01:20 AM
Hi,

Hello everyone this is Lisa Williams I am new to this community and happy to be here. This is my first post. Well getting listed on Google places is great for local business. Getting visibility in the 1st page results of Google depends on whether or not your business exists in Google places on that category.

Thanks

greenoak
03-27-2011, 09:40 AM
lisa ...welcome....i hope to hear more about YOUR business....
your idea seems to really fit whats happening on my google...... ....i just hope my #1 spot goes out farther than our little town....
ann

DIYSmallBusinessMarketing
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
You can report the spam listings to Google. If you open the place page and scroll to the bottom, there is a link that says "Report a Problem". When you click on that, a page pops up with several options, including one to report the page as containing inaccurate information or spam. It does take Google a little while to investigate it, but they will remove the listing eventually. My guess is that they also ban the user who submitted the listing.