PDA

View Full Version : Bing more accurate than Google???

Business Attorney
03-02-2011, 12:28 AM
To throw a little Bing into the mix, ComputerWorld recently reported that "Bing searches more accurate than Google's, study finds (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9208879/Bing_searches_more_accurate_than_Google_s_study_fi nds)"

vangogh
03-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Interesting. I always have 2 browsers open and I have Bing set as the default search engine in one and Google in the other. For some queries I find there's little difference in the results as far as what I consider a quality result. For some things I like Bing's results better, though for most things I still find Google ends up giving me better results.

A few of things to consider.

1. I tend to search a lot for very specific and highly technical things.
2. I have both engines set to show me the maximum results on a single page. That's 100 results for Google and I think 50 for Bing.
3. I'm ore familiar with how Google works so I can use more advanced queries better.
4. I often find I need to use the time filter on Google and wish Bing would add this as it's the one thing that would get me to search Bing more often.

While I may still find the result I want on Google it may be several pages in and I still have to use some advanced searching to find it. More and more I don't find what I want on Google in the top few results, which seem to be littered with all sorts of Google properties now as opposed to search results.

Bing has been slowly gaining market share since last year, though Google still dominates of course. About a month or two ago, Google did see it's first decrease in market share either ever or in a very, very long time. I think it will be a good thing for all of us if Bing continues to gain market share as it will further competition and likely lead to better results for both.

seolman
03-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Another great tool (mentioned by Mr Gogh in previous posts) is Blekko (http://blekko.com/) slash tag search. Sometimes it helps me find niche sites I probably would not have found so quickly in Google or Bing.

vangogh
03-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Nice to see you Dave. I haven't used Blekko much yet. I tried it out when it first launched and found some things I liked about it. At the time the results seemed a little scarcer than I liked so I've been waiting for them to index more of the web and for more people to build slash tags. They have an interesting idea and I do plan on trying them more.

seolman
03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I definitely tend to stick with Google for most things but when I am digging for technical sites I have found Blekko throws out some pretty decent results (so far).

search phrase /tech

vangogh
03-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Good to know. I did add them as one of the search engines available in my browser. Maybe I'll set it as default for a few days and see what I think.

jamesray50
03-03-2011, 03:24 AM
I don't like Bing. The last time I checked they still hadn't listed my company and I submitted it the same time as I did with the other search engines and it shows up in the other search engines.

vangogh
03-03-2011, 10:53 AM
First submitting your site to search engines is really just a wasted activity. The other engines didn't list you because you submitted. Those submission forms have been spammed so many times that quite honestly search engines ignore them. They pretty much even say they do. I'm not even sure why they still provide the forms. Search engines follow links. The way to get search engines to crawl and index your pages is to have links pointing to those pages. Something like your signature here or a link on a social media profile will work well. All you need is a few links on sites that are visited frequently by search engines to get them to find your site.

Bing does list your site. I typed your company name and you were the #1 result in Bing.

Deciding whether or not a search engine provides good results based solely on how they rank your pages or how much traffic they send to you doesn't really say much about their results. I certainly understand how you would feel, but I wouldn't judge them based on a single site, even if the site is your own.

seolman
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I think I'll start my own search engine and name it "crosby". Slogan "compliment your Bing with Crosby"

mettro2
03-04-2011, 03:27 PM
From my experience Google is overall the most accurate, but Bing is better for niche searches. For example, I found that buying a plane ticket is much easier to do on Bing

Harold Mansfield
03-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Bing is definitely made with shopping in mind, but If I'm looking for articles and information I'll take Google any day of the week over any of them.

vangogh
03-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm finding both to be pretty good at general queries and then each is a little better at niche searches. Again it's all good as some competition for Google should only improve search results all around.

vikrantsharma1
03-05-2011, 05:17 AM
I think Bing still has long way to go in terms of search results quality to compete with Google. The other point is the user's willingness to switch their default search engines. I don't have to remind myself to use Google for searching but I will need to do so for Bing even if it starts providing better results.

Capitalist
03-06-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't think a search engine can really be "accurate". I know that Google is more consistent, though, in the way it ranks sites. Bing seems to be several years (decades?) behind in the way it works. As a general rule, I rank my sites in Google, and then check Bing - I'm usually already where I want to be at that point.

vangogh
03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
The other point is the user's willingness to switch their default search engines.

That's a good point. I think some of that will be taken care of as Microsoft works with computer makers to have Bing set as the default search engine. I think it already is on some computers. I'm sure it's the default search engine on Internet Explorer too. It might be harder to get people to change back to Bing after they've switched to Google, but I'd bet a lot of people end up with Bing as the default so if Bing's results are good enough those people may never switch away.

Bing seems to be several years (decades?) behind in the way it works

I don't think they're that far back. I do think Google still gives the better results overall, but Bing's results are pretty good.

If anyone wants to compare you can visit Bing vs Google (Bing seems to be several years (decades?) behind in the way it works). You type in your search query and it'll display the results of both Bing and Google next to each other so you can compare.

SoloResults
03-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Bing signed an important deal with Facebook recently. Expect to see Bing's results based on Facebook "likes". So if your friends like one page more than another, expect that page to rank higher in the results. Google won't have this feature so it will be interesting to see the results after launch.

vangogh
03-08-2011, 11:00 PM
I saw that. Don't forget Microsoft owns a small part of Facebook. Less than 1% if I remember (or was it 5%), but they paid some good money for that small share. They also have more connections with Twitter than Google I believe.

CloptonCapital
03-24-2011, 11:51 PM
To throw a little Bing into the mix, ComputerWorld recently reported that "Bing searches more accurate than Google's, study finds (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9208879/Bing_searches_more_accurate_than_Google_s_study_fi nds)"

One of my sites (I have 20 active) is being "reassessed" by google (lost my rankings, but still indexed) likely because I was building a lot of content and links quickly. Bing and Yahoo raised my rankings considerably and Google is giving me trouble. Bing is likely going to be the real competition for Google.

Anthony
04-30-2011, 06:55 AM
I also heard about that thing Bing is accurate than and i checked at a website and found good results. i think Bing is doing great job in these days than Google but not for all results but if they will be continue with that work then it can be possible that they can beat Google very soon.