PDA

View Full Version : Facebook on google

greenoak
02-26-2011, 09:20 AM
i dont see much from my facebook showing up on google......
for example a 3 week old ~ props for shops ~ mention on my web page is on page 3 of google for that term....but ive never noticed anything from facebook....
i have lots of pictures on my facebook and would like to get some google going on if possible...ive used the right words but nothing....and apparantly they dont count facebooks type of linkage...lol. any hints
Green Oak Antiques | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/greenoakantiques)

J from Michigan
02-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Not sure 100% of what you're asking, but...

I've heard that Google doesn't crawl Facebook.
The links of FB are nofollow, so you won't gain any anchored text (keywords) from linking from there. But you will still get traffic from there, which is helpful.

Harold Mansfield
02-26-2011, 05:15 PM
You can't exactly SEO a Facebook page like you can a website and Facebook images are not included in Google's image search. Facebook is sort of a closed entity and as L mentioned is no follow..so there is no link juice from Facebook, but it can be a source of traffic.

Facebook pages will be seen in the search results, but pages that match exact keyword searches do better, and even better if the search is specifically for Facebook pages, eg: "Antiques, Facebook".
Google does index Facebook and Twitter pages and keyword discussions, and trends, but not everyone has their settings set to see them and it's not 100% for every search.

Bottom line is, you just aren't going to get the same Google benefit from a Facebook page as you would from your own website and/or blog because Facebook itself is a website, not a search engine and the information on it moves through very fast...faster than spiders will index it.

greenoak
02-26-2011, 05:40 PM
that kind of what i figured...maybe it will change sometime....
..do you think searching within facebook might be the next big thing....?

J from Michigan
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
I would look at Facebooks and Google as two separate opportunities for customers/traffic.

I did a test with a coupon for Facebook advertising (similar to the Adwords one we spoke about previously.)

My results: 1 week- $50

260,000 impressions
50-some clicks
0 calls/inquiries

I have never seen that many impressions or clicks before, so there clearly has to be some sort of opportunity... I just never found/pursued it.

Harold Mansfield
02-26-2011, 09:41 PM
..do you think searching within facebook might be the next big thing....?

No. Not really. It is where people search for other people, but I don't see it as any kind of business directory or search.
People will still look to a company's website to get the information they want about the company. No 3rd part website will ever take the place of your own website.
Remember, although big and popular..Facebook is still a website.

greenoak
02-26-2011, 11:12 PM
you dont think they get to my website from the facebook? if its people to people why do businesses go for
business fans?
i have a link to my site on my facebook....and its used..they need the website for the map and hours etc etc...but lots of folks have seen us first on facebook... freiends of friends etc etc...

Harold Mansfield
02-26-2011, 11:46 PM
you dont think they get to my website from the facebook?
Of course they do.

if its people to people why do businesses go for
business fans?
Because it's a direct line of communication. So that they can be seen in their followers news feeds with what ever postings, specials, contests, etc. The wisdom here is to catch people while they are are on Facebook.

i have a link to my site on my facebook....and its used..they need the website for the map and hours etc etc...but lots of folks have seen us first on facebook... freiends of friends etc etc...

That's good. Nothing wrong with that. Those are probably referrals. People have interacted with your page and it showed up on their activity stream, so their friends checked out what they were doing over there. That's the whole point of Facebook.

But someone new who is looking for you, your products, services, or a business like yours in your area will likely not go to Facebook first to search. They will use a search engine. Or possibly even a Yellow Pages.

greenoak
02-27-2011, 09:15 AM
thats how i see it too..
..but i think we are getting a big facebook PLUS too.... all these young homeowner women are on facebook with their friends and i see some of them hearing about us for the first time on facebook, thru their friends ., even tho they werent activley searching google for us...........
its new and different ...thats for sure....i can imagine searching on facebook...since im on it a lot..... but i havent so far....it seems like a natural direction for them...