PDA

View Full Version : Need help starting the right way

bigluelok
02-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I am new to the small business world. I am starting a small t-shirt store online based on Honda enthusiast and want to do this the right way. I have a simple site at the moment and am working on making it better.

What do I have to do to get started the right way in California?

mettro2
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Congratulations on your new business. So what exactly do you mean when you say "the right way"?

jpohl
03-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I second Mettro2's request for more info. I am going to assume though that you yourself are a Honda enthusiast. That will probably be your key to success. By that I mean that you do anything and everything that a Honda enthusiast would do. You go to the Honda gatherings and network. You make sure that you hang out in forums where other enthusiasts hang out, answer questions, ask questions and generally be part of the community. Don't be salesy. Be real.

if you are looking for help on traffic for a web site. There are a lot of directions you can go but making sure you have an SEO friendly site is the first step. You can do a google search and find tips for that. If you are going to the meetups for Honda owners, I would definately get some business cards made up with your site URL displayed in big letters.

Business Attorney
03-04-2011, 07:06 PM
One suggestion: Make sure that you don't build your business based on trademark infringement. Unless you have a license or other permission from Honda, don't try using the Honda name in your business name or URL. Sell only licensed goods. I have seen people think that they have built a great business online only to have it disappear when they get the cease and desist order from the trademark owner.

crm
03-07-2011, 01:06 AM
I'd second David's advice, trademark infringement could be an issue here. I wouldn't worry too much about setting up a business the "right way" yet. The first thing I'd do is wear my t-shirts everywhere I go, and I'd go to motorcycle meetups, rides, car shows, and similar events. Setup a store on ebay or etsy and see if people go for it.

You may have already covered that step however! I'm not sure on the specifics in California, but in Australia, you can run a "hobby" business. As long as your income is under $50,000 p.a. and it's intended to be a hobby for now, then you don't have to worry about compliance with many business-type regulations. I'd check with your state government's website, they usually have information on what you need to get started in terms of what ever you need to setup a business in that state.

ChrisHeggem
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Do you mind sharing a link to your site?

The most important thing for you is to get customers. Do you know where your target market is? How do you plan on getting them to buy from you? Those are things you should focus on when you're getting started.

yanni
03-22-2011, 10:38 AM
"the right way?" are you trying to become Geographic specific? This sounds like something that could be a worldwide operation. Limiting your self in a deep niche could be damaging.

CloptonCapital
03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
That's a good point, why only California?