PDA

View Full Version : Google Adwords new display ad launched

Reflo Ltd
02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
I know there is a separate post about this subject but I just launched my first ad (a display ad) through Google Adwords.

I thought it might be informative to chart the progress and response it generates.

I will keep everyone posted on the results.

I will also attach a copy of the ad I created for this.

greenoak
02-25-2011, 03:37 PM
wow...what an attractive ad...love the colors...
and the message, a smart..... is clear and short....

J from Michigan
02-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I like it... a lot!

I've never tried a display ad, but boy, you have me tempted now!

Reflo Ltd
02-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks J and Ann!

I think it is more expensive per click but I think it would be more effective. Time will tell.

Patrysha
02-25-2011, 07:00 PM
I would test it moving your headline "Avoid dental and speech problems with your children" to the top and moving your logo and tagline down...

I know close to nothing about AdWords but I think finding a way to capitalize on people looking for "weaning from sippy cup" or "weaning from bottle" would be high on your list :-)

TotalPC
02-25-2011, 08:55 PM
just remember to split test with a few different ads. You would be surprised at what might generate better CTR's.

Reflo Ltd
02-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Patrysha, those are excellent Search Phrases to add to the "keywords" list.

And good advice from you both on trying multiple ad styles. I like that idea and will definitely give it a shot.

Here is the first update......

Ad is still not active, I am told it can take as long as one full day.

Reflo Ltd
02-28-2011, 10:10 AM
latest update.....

Apparently it takes some time to approve a display ad. I am still waiting on an approval. My ad was submitted Friday, late morning.... and I created a brand new account so I don't know if that adds to the delay.

TotalPC
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
yes, for some reason display ads can take a long time to get approved. I don't know why, but sometimes i have seen them take a week or two.

J from Michigan
03-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm eager to hear how things progress.

You are sort of my guinea pig. ;)
(I've never tried a display ad.)

Reflo Ltd
03-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Here is the latest...

My display ad was taking longer than it should have to be approved so I called in for customer support and got someone that actually helped me out this time. Steve was the guy that actually helped me complete my account setup. Very helpful and nice guy.

It turns out that you have to have a text ad too in order to begin the campaign. The image add will not display in the search results page but will be placed on various sites that accept Google ads. It's the text ads that actually show up when a search is done via Google.

So now my ads have been running for 3 days now. I have limit set at $10 per day. Per Steve, he suggested I raise my original bid of $1 max per click to $2.75 to cover all of my selected keywords. It turns out that different keywords cost more than others if you want your ad associated with them... I assume it is based on the popularity and other bids for those keywords.

I was getting clicks but at a high cost with this limit.... so I changed it back to $1 max and now still get clicks but at a lower price. I do not get clicks from the high cost words now but still get them from other searches which is fine by me.

The downside is that I have had 21 clicks over three days according to Google. These have generated no sales for me. I can also track the source of visitors through my server company and interestingly, I do not see this many visitors coming from Google which gives me some concern.

Now, assuming that I really am getting the clicks from Google, why am I not getting sales? I can only guess.

Here are my ads and their results..... (attached as PDF) 112

J from Michigan
03-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Your costs are not too bad... I pay $4-$5 per click, for some keywords.

If you click on one of your campaigns in the 'watch list,' then click "keywords" it will tell you which keywords brought you the traffic/click.

Maybe you have some negative keywords that are sending useless traffic to your site.
I had that problem with people searching for "window cleaning jobs" and "tools."

And make sure that you don't click an ad yourself... Google will reimburse you if you do, but it takes a while.

jpohl
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Are putting this on the search Network of Google? If so, try out the content network. I have had some good banner luck there in the past. Some suggestions, rotate ads. When doing banner ads on google, I highly suggest you get half a dozen different designs created either by yourself or outsource it. Then put them all into google at once. When they all get approved, pause all but two of them. The reason is that banners get manually reviewed and takes a LOT longer than text ads. So if you find a banner not working, it takes a while to get the next approval.

Also may I suggest on at least one ad, go ugly. Not hideous or offensive use some red background and yellow lettering. I have not idea why but it works, not all the time but it has for several campaigns I had in the past.

For your keywords, when you have enough data to see some beingng shown but not being clicked, pause them immediately. Anything that hurts your click-thru will increase your costs.

Reflo Ltd
03-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Your costs are not too bad... I pay $4-$5 per click, for some keywords.

The problem with that, for me, is that my product sells for $7.99 each... so the costs can become more than the benefit.

Reflo Ltd
03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Are putting this on the search Network of Google? If so, try out the content network. I have had some good banner luck there in the past. Some suggestions, rotate ads. When doing banner ads on google, I highly suggest you get half a dozen different designs created either by yourself or outsource it. Then put them all into google at once. When they all get approved, pause all but two of them. The reason is that banners get manually reviewed and takes a LOT longer than text ads. So if you find a banner not working, it takes a while to get the next approval.

Also may I suggest on at least one ad, go ugly. Not hideous or offensive use some red background and yellow lettering. I have not idea why but it works, not all the time but it has for several campaigns I had in the past.

For your keywords, when you have enough data to see some beingng shown but not being clicked, pause them immediately. Anything that hurts your click-thru will increase your costs.

Thanks for the pointers... they sound like good ideas that I implement as things develop.

I have the one display ad which is what I think you are talking about. I could also make banners for those type of ads as well. I will probably add them to the mix later and then rotate them in and out as you suggested.

jpohl
03-05-2011, 11:34 PM
If you need any more suggestions or help, shoot me a message, no cost or obligations, just some good ol fashioned help

Reflo Ltd
03-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks Jeff,

Will do.... I have a meeting next week with a large retailer that is interested in my product. Once I see where that is going, I can get a better idea of where I need to go with this.

Pete

J from Michigan
03-06-2011, 07:11 PM
The problem with that, for me, is that my product sells for $7.99 each... so the costs can become more than the benefit.

I understand. I am marketing an area of about 20 miles (10 or less in some cases,) so I think I have to pay more for my keywords.

That's what's cool about this forum... we all have such different products/services, but we still learn from each other. :)