PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress 3.1 may break some of your plug ins if you are running a multisite

Harold Mansfield
02-23-2011, 08:32 PM
I just got wind of this. Apparently the new WP update contains a lot of updates that break existing plug ins if you are using a multisite set up.

Usually what will happen is the plug ins will slowly start to put out upgrades to make them compatible.
I would probably wait until then to upgrade:
Here is what I was just alerted to:
WordPress 3.1 will break a lot of your plugins :/ Unless you are getting them from WPMU DEV!!! | WordPress, Multisite and BuddyPress plugins, themes, news and help – WPMU.org (http://wpmu.org/wordpress-3-1-will-break-a-lot-of-your-plugins-unless-you-are-getting-them-from-wpmu-dev/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Wpmu-Wordpress-Mu-PluginsThemesAndNews+%28WPMU.org+-+WordPress+MU+plugins%2C+themes+and+news%29)

Nomad
02-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks! I just upgraded one of my sites without many plug-ins, but not the others. Got the email form WP that the new update was the best thing since sliced bread.... I might just wait and make toast... lol.

vangogh
02-25-2011, 02:36 AM
This is sometimes the case with any major upgrade of WP. Developers can get access to the new version of WP as it's under development so those who are on top of their plugins should have one ready pretty soon after the official WordPress release. It's not a bad idea to wait a few days or weeks to upgrade. When the upgrade is minor it's usually not a big deal.

This probably one reason to favor commercial plugins for your most important functionality. Since their business depends on their plugins working they tend to make them compatible with new versions quicker. The lone developer giving away a plugin for free doesn't have the same incentive to upgrade.

WordPress has added functionality where you can test to see if your plugins will work with a new version of WP. I think it might be able to check before you upgrade. If not then it might be coming in this version. I think upgrading was one of the features high on the list in 3.1.