PDA

View Full Version : A Method For Writing Blog Posts

vangogh
09-29-2008, 01:50 PM
I came across this post on writing coherent blog posts (http://michaelmartine.com/2008/09/24/seven-steps-to-more-coherent-blog-posts-more-readers-and-more-subscribers/) and thought I'd share.

The post describes a process for writing blog posts that is:

an easy method for writing coherent blog posts, which will allow you to stand out from the crowd and attract a readership

For quite some time I've tried to find a process for my writing to make it more efficient. While I'm generally happy with the quality of my content, it usually takes me longer to write a post that I'd like. I tend to write in a haphazard manner. I get an idea, sit down to write, and just go. I suspect the same is true for many of you.

There are some who think that it's just the way we write. Some people take longer to write a post than others. I don't really believe that. I think you can make more efficient use of your writing time.

I'm curious to know who here has a process in place for creating blog posts. Even if you don't use the process on every post, do you have some kind of process that works for you.

Please share. Thanks.

KristineS
09-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I generally don't have a process. I tend to be like you, I get an idea, I write a post.

I have to say the posts that I write that I like the least are the ones where I try to write according to a system. I tend to do better when I get an idea, do the research to flesh out the idea and then write the post.

So, I suppose I do have a process, at least for some of the stuff I write. It's just not a very formal one.

the goat
09-30-2008, 12:19 AM
I always sit on a post for at least an hour or so. I will get the idea, write it, edit it a few times and then I will save it without publishing. I will then go back to it no less than an hour or so later so that I can look at it with a fresh outlook.

I find that if I get inspired, crank out a post and then publish it right away, that in my haste I sometimes assume that the reader will comprehend things just because I feel they are implied. What I mean is that if the idea is fresh in my mind I may inadvertently leave out small details that seem inconsequential to me, but are glaring omissions in hindsight.

A friend of mine who teaches kindergarten once told me that the hardest part of her job is to remember that you can't just teach what 4+2 equals. You first have to teach what 4 and 2 are. I try to remember that in my writing and not leave out any details, no matter how obvious it seems to me.

I feel that letting a piece rest for a while and revisiting it later can really help with it's readability.

vangogh
09-30-2008, 02:05 AM
I like to leave some time between writing and editing a post too. Sometimes I don't have the time to wait, but at the very least I'll take a break and work on something else for a bit. I'd like to be able to get ahead with writing to the point where I can let posts sit for a few days between writing them and editing them.

Harold Mansfield
10-01-2008, 01:16 AM
There is definitely a difference between posts that I really feel are good content and just throwing something up to get a days post in.
Some posts require sources and links to proof or documentation. Those tend to take me about an hour of editing, reading, re editing, adding and spell check.

I write it better if the idea is fresh, rather than coming back the next day to post about something I learned of previously, and those tend to get more traffic and bookmarks.

I normally only know that main point, the headline, and my spin comes of the top of my head as I am writing and that usually comes off as sarcastic humor, which is normal for me, so no prep needed.

I can't say I actually prepare since I blog current events and politics, it goes up on a moments notice.
The other blog is easier, information is sent in to me...only around twice a week do I "talk" about music, artist, or review something.

KristineS
10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
A friend of mine who teaches kindergarten once told me that the hardest part of her job is to remember that you can't just teach what 4+2 equals. You first have to teach what 4 and 2 are. I try to remember that in my writing and not leave out any details, no matter how obvious it seems to me.

Oh, I like that.

Sometimes I tend to leave out details, simply because I think they are self evident. That's a good reminder that just because I understand something doesn't mean that everyone understands it.