PDA

View Full Version : link with Twitter?

Nomad
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Just a thought. Lots of good content at this forum. I am not a big user of Twitter, but just started to use it again for my business and this time around, I am actually finding it a little more useful in following sites as they post new information. You might want to think about hooking up the forum to Twitter so people can see posts "on the go" and answer them from their mobile devices. Might work very well for a forum like this. Not sure if you have a facebook page (not sure why you would need one, either), but for example, anytime I update a post on my fb page it automatically updates to Twitter. I think you might be able to set it so that as soon as anyone posts a new thread, it would be sent as a "Tweet".

vangogh
02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
I think the 140 character limit at Twitter would make that mostly impossible. You'd get the first sentence of a new post and not much more. It might be possible to set up a fan page at Facebook and pull some content there, but even then I probably wouldn't set that up. It would mean we'd be giving away our valuable content to them and letting them profit off all the work that goes in here. A fan page that doesn't pull in all this content is a possibility. I'll think about that.

As for posting on the go, the forum should work with browser capable phones. Some of the javascript might not work, but I'm not sure if that would prevent you from doing anything. I'll look to see if anyone has created alternate themes that would work better on a phone. I would imagine it's possible to create one, though I might have to be the one creating it.

I like the idea of making the forum more mobile friendly. I don't think Twitter or Facebook is necessarily the way to do that, but I'll add the idea to my to do list and see what I can come up with.

KristineS
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Keep in mind that people on the forum can also tweet or post a link to their facebook profile when they find a post on the forum that they like or think is useful. I'd actually prefer that to an automatic Tweet or post myself.

Paper Shredder Clay
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Twitter is great for posting links to blogs, but forums doesn't work so good. I suppose vangogh could post a link to the most discussed forum entry of the day.

vangogh
02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm not the biggest self-promoter though. I don't even tweet my own blog posts. I don't have to though since I have enough readers who post them for me. A most discussed form thread might be interesting. I thought of that more for a weekly or monthly newsletter sort of thing. Something to think about. I will look into how to connect Twitter and the forum better. At the very bottom of every page of the forum there are buttons to bookmark the page. Nothing for Twitter though. I'll see if that's something easy to add.