PDA

View Full Version : For the web and print designers out there

AmyAllen
01-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Wherein Kim from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills meets with her web designer (http://www.hulu.com/watch/207392/the-real-housewives-of-beverly-hills-kims-water-bottles#continuous_play=on).

At about minute 1:30 in the clip, you'll truly start to feel for this guy.

I'm sure we've all had a client like this at some point... Not a "Real Housewive"... Just someone with an "interesting", or overly-literal design aesthetic.

Anyway - too funny not to share. I love the look on his face when she starts talking about the ocean.

Harold Mansfield
01-31-2011, 10:27 AM
It wasn't too bad. Funny, I was watching thinking to myself, "If you want to express water, and refreshment I'd probably go with a dynamic waterfall shot over the ocean, since the ocean is salt water and is commonly associated with pollution, and leave the sunset out of it since that infers the end of a day rather than a beginning and is commonly associated with romance and retirement".
JMO of course.

Patrysha
01-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Stoopid CRTC...can't watch hulu...phooey...

Harold Mansfield
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Stoopid CRTC...can't watch hulu...phooey...

What's CRTC? Some Canadian regulatory thing?

Patrysha
01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, the Canadian Radio and Television Commission...the board that regulates that a certain percentage of content on radio and television is Canadian (among other things to maintain Canadian culture whatever that means)...and keeps us from accessing things like Hulu & American TV stations online (like I can't watch Jon Stewart on the American station's website I have to watch it on the Canadian website) and why our Netflix is nothing compared to the US version...

Harold Mansfield
01-31-2011, 11:10 AM
That's funny. Anytime I ever watched Canadian TV, it was always British shows like Faulty Towers, Benny Hill and Absolutely Fabulous. Can't say that I remember any Canadian specific programming outside curling and the CFL.

vangogh
01-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Amy I think I know what you mean. Sure the ocean is water, but most people don't think of drinking it when they see it. I'm not sure how it's really going to help a bottled water company. A fresh water stream would probably be a better choice if you wanted to stick with the literal imagery. Using the ocean will get people to think her water is ocean water.

I can't say I feel that bad for the guy though. Something tells me had she not come up with the idea, he might have. He also should have offered his own opinion instead of just sitting there.

Patrysha
01-31-2011, 11:52 AM
That's cuz 90% of the time they layer it with just enough shmaltz to make it American...like a few years back with a show called Due South...or they make them so Canadian centric that they never develop a huge audience (Corner Gas, Little Mosque on the Prairie)

We make lots of documentaries, lots of children's shows (Calliou, Little Bear, Degrassi, Fraggle Rock), and lots of stand up comedy (Comics, Just for Laughs)...but most talent just heads south and it seems that most of them are comedians...

Harold Mansfield
01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Just got the press for Just for Laughs today. Didn't know Fraggle Rock was Canadian, but I do remember Degrassi. Little Mosque on the Prairie? Is that a real show? If so, I hope it's a comedy, the title is hilarious.

Patrysha
01-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Just got the press for Just for Laughs today. Didn't know Fraggle Rock was Canadian, but I do remember Degrassi.

It's still on...they've brought it back. I think it's called Degrassi the next generation now

Little Mosque on the Prairie? Is that a real show? If so, I hope it's a comedy, the title is hilarious.

Yes, it is a real show. Going into it's 5th season now...and yes, it is a comedy...here's a clip about it from cbs Canada's "Little Mosque on the Prairie" - CBS News Video (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7259860n&tag=contentBody;housing)

I guess I don't hate the CRTC...I understand why they exist and why the rules are in place. I dread to think what the musical landscape would be like without the Canadian content regulations. I don't know why it hasn't worked as well for TV and Film as it has for music. But it's annoying to get a link to something and not be able to view it (and it's usually not important enough to find alternative ways of viewing it).

As a offtopic of the offtopic...I watched Fawlty Towers on PBS.

bizmultiplier
06-15-2011, 03:42 PM
This one is also funny.

YouTube - ‪The Process (a.k.a. Designing The Stop Sign Video) - ORIGINAL‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wac3aGn5twc)

vangogh
06-15-2011, 06:34 PM
I had seen that once before. It still makes me laugh. I think I could watch it again and again. Sadly it's not all that far from the truth with some jobs.