PDA

View Full Version : How did you hear about us?

Reflo Ltd
01-30-2011, 02:56 PM
I added a form field on my website checkout page that asks "how did you hear about us". Almost every single order since has included a response of some sort. It is not "required" but apparently people feel compelled to enter the info. It has been very helpful for us to know where folks are hearing about us (and where they are not).

greenoak
01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
great idea....

Harold Mansfield
01-30-2011, 06:23 PM
I don't have it on a form, but it's usually the first question I ask on the phone since I am still amazed that it actually rings.

TotalPC
01-30-2011, 06:23 PM
whenever i make a purchase and i see that field, i fill it out probably 95% of the time. Especially if there is a dropdown with most of the relevant options, then i will definitely choose something.

Has the info been roughly what you expected or are you getting customers from very unexpected sources??

jamesray50
01-30-2011, 06:51 PM
I forgot to ask my first and so far only client. I think it is a great idea. Then you know where to spend your marketing dollars.

jamesray50
01-30-2011, 07:32 PM
You have an interesting product. I have never heard of it. How do people hear about it?

Blessed
01-31-2011, 12:45 AM
that is a question I always ask for myself and for those clients I do some virtual receptionist work for - it really is helpful to know that information!

Reflo Ltd
02-01-2011, 08:52 AM
whenever i make a purchase and i see that field, i fill it out probably 95% of the time. Especially if there is a dropdown with most of the relevant options, then i will definitely choose something.

Has the info been roughly what you expected or are you getting customers from very unexpected sources??

I am occassionally surprised by some of the replies. It does help me find out when my product is being discussed someplace new... which happens every now and then. Other than that, I would say that the results are pretty much expected and I can also track what does not work as well as what does.

I was originally creating coupons for online use. A different code for each group so that I could track where they come from. I am surprised at how many people do not use the code at all even though they came from a place where it was advertised. The "how did you hear about us" field has been WAY more effective than the coupon codes.

Reflo Ltd
02-01-2011, 08:57 AM
You have an interesting product. I have never heard of it. How do people hear about it?

We just began selling in Decemeber of 2010 and so far we have used some free advertising sites and blogs. We do giveaways with some mom blogs to spread the word. Also using Facebook. Word of mouth through the mom blogs seems to be pretty good. We are not setting the world on fire but I think we've sold about 250 cups since December 8, 2010.

We have also used some inexpensive paid ads such as a premium account on US Free ADs and paid ads through facebook. I am not sure either has produced any sales.

Blessed
02-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Mom Blogs are a great place to have your product. Especially if you can get picked up by some of the larger blogs - like 5 Minutes for Mom. It's definitely the cheapest way to start building an international customer base. Not all moms read blogs, but enough do to make it worthwhile!