PDA

View Full Version : How Anonymous Can a Company Be??

andy_ric
01-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Hello,

I'm on my way to becoming a serial enterprener, I currently have an online retail business that I run out of my house.

One of my upcoming ventures involves political satire and paraphenelia that could be considered contreversial by some. With the current political climate and the shooting in Arizona, I want to protect myself as much as possible, just in case....

My business will be online and I will use a virtual office for my paperwork with the state and other filings. Additionaly, I will use a PO Box for mailing.

I would appreciate any others advice and methods that would help me stay anonymous as possible.

Thanks,

billbenson
01-20-2011, 10:55 PM
You are going to have to have a physical address for your DBA. So if someone wants to find you they can. You can "not advertise it" by private domain registration etc., but It will be out there if someone really wants to find you. And those are probably the dangerous ones.

SCUBA9097
01-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Realistically, one can only go so far with remaining anonymous in a business, after all, there has to be some form of accountability if laws are broken or if people wish to file complaints. I'm sure there are all sorts of creative ways to almost completely hide your identity, but I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV and I didn't stay at a hotel that made me a genius last night. :)

As a side note, please don't attach too much to the incident in Arizona. It wasn't political, it wasn't related to firearms, it was a very disturbed individual who fixated on his own troubled thoughts. It doesn't matter if you own a political satire business or wash cars, there are people out there who just aren't wired like the rest of us and could become obsessed over the smallest things, real or imagined.

andy_ric
01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
^^^Thanks for responding, I don't plan to be anonmymous to the point where I'm breaking a law. I will still have an llc registered that will be attached to a virtual office address and an additional po box when official business has to be communicated. I can be contacted its just through a series of channels and not directly at my home.

You are going to have to have a physical address for your DBA. So if someone wants to find you they can.

I'm going to use a virtual office for my physical address, I will not be using my home address. If they look up the business through the local secretary of state it will say the virtual office address.

SCUBA9097
01-21-2011, 12:24 AM
andy_ric, you would be surprised how many time I had to re-write that so it didn't sound like I was accusing you of planning to do something illegal. I certainly hope it didn't come across that way, as it wasn't my intent.

andy_ric
01-21-2011, 07:53 AM
^^^^^ Oh, I didn't take it that way. Thanks for responding, I need all bases covered.

Harold Mansfield
01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Basically you just want to keep your address out of the picture. It's easy. Use a P.O box as your business address and on every profile, domain registration and everything else online. I mean everything. Affiliate and add programs. Pay Pal. Everything.
In NV, you can even use it on your drivers license. Basically just don't ever use your home address for anything ever again and change it where ever it is now.

The only place where you can't hide it is in the county records if you own property and own the place where you live. So to combat that, for your political satire, use a screen or pen name.

Patrysha
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I've known at least two women who used a persona to promote their online entities to protect their own identities...though eventually one did come out and start publishing and re-branding with her own name. I read another blog that is written by a pseudonym...in that case it is a safety and privacy precaution too.

huggytree
01-21-2011, 09:49 PM
people on the far right and far left say Horrible things...i think someone on the left compares someone to Hitler weekly and someone on the right compares Obama to some Communist....they dont get shot weekly for these comments do they?

your worried about nothing....1 person gets shot and its not even political and your worried.....nearby in Milwaukee 10+ people get shot every night for a pair of shoes or a dirty look

Its a good idea to stay anonymous as much as possible when mixing 2 different businesses...do everything you can...being worried about someone hurting you is silly...get a concealed carry permit if your worried.

dont offend ANY customer....make sure none of your regular customers finds out about your politics...no bumper stickers

there was a woman in my old networking group who announced she was holding an Obama party at her house....i know at least 2/3rds of the group was conservative....by discussing the issue she put off most of the group....she didnt get any leads and dropped out after a couple of months...im sure sharing her politics didnt help....others in the group have stood up and talked about conservatives during the meeting...they were cheered.....thats how conservative the group was.....i took them aside and warned them....you may have just lost 20% of the group because of your comments....it works both ways....a lot of people have strong political views...dont turn them off to you

realtyexpert
04-06-2013, 07:09 PM
I've known at least two women who used a persona to promote their online entities to protect their own identities...though eventually one did come out and start publishing and re-branding with her own name. I read another blog that is written by a pseudonym...in that case it is a safety and privacy precaution too.

I am a little late to this party/string, but I have the same questions about remaining anonymous. Has anyone learned more about this subject since this string was started? I need to operate a few legal enterprises/entities, anonymously. I am sure that it can be done.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

videogamesrock
11-06-2013, 11:23 PM
I am a little late to this party/string, but I have the same questions about remaining anonymous. Has anyone learned more about this subject since this string was started? I need to operate a few legal enterprises/entities, anonymously. I am sure that it can be done.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Step 1 register your LLC in a Private State (i.e. Nm, De, Co, In, etc.)

Your name will not go on the paperwork only your organizer. When you file annually report your designated organizer will file for you. You will open a physical address at a ups store under the business name. You will pay someone to be your registered agent.

The secretary of State will never post your name. They wont even ask who the Managers or Members are of the LLC. Do not fill out the paper work yourself, you only need an organizer in those states. Once your organizer fills out the paperwork, have them sign a notarized statement that says I Joe Blow am the organizer for ABC LLC and forming the LLC on behalf of YOU the Managing Member.

Legal document showing the organizer recognizes you as the owner and you will be the only with that paper so don't lose it.

But my name will be on my bank account? Yes that still isn't public information and never will be.

But what if someone illegally requests my tax returns? If they illegal request your tax returns I suggest making a multi member LLC owned by 2 more single member LLC's. Lets say all 3 out of NM, (which is a one time $50 fee and no fee ever again). You then file the Multi member LLC (ABC LLC ) as a partnership return issuing K1 forms to each partner. That would be the two Single Member LLC's.

When you file your tax return the K1 form will have both your private single member LLc's tax ID and name on it, but since the IRS considers single member LLC's a fall through entity, you will file your taxes with your social and on your name on those LLC's therefore never leaving a single link between you and any of the 3 LLC's in discussion. No I'm not a lawyer I just speak from experience and having people show up at my front door unannounced. Please read my blog I recently wrote about it. You can also email me with questions. The single Member LLC's cannot use the K1 to file on the tax return, you must use your social. Zero paper trail between your company and you.

My blog with more details How to Start an LLC and remain Private (http://howtostartanllcanonymously.blogspot.com/)

Please welcome me to the community, I look forward to chatting with folks on the message boards! :D

SBF
02-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks for sharing this information. I am exploring it further. I guess the one institution that you must provide accurate contact information to is the IRS for the EIN, unless the EIN is not necessary. What is your experience there? Is an EIN required for establishing LLCs?

videogamesrock
03-15-2014, 01:42 AM
Thanks for sharing this information. I am exploring it further. I guess the one institution that you must provide accurate contact information to is the IRS for the EIN, unless the EIN is not necessary. What is your experience there? Is an EIN required for establishing LLCs?

You can get someone else to apply for it. Who ever applies is the responsible party to file for taxes.

IRS website won't post your info on ownership. In fact no one can call and find out either.