PDA

View Full Version : Gimp Help

billbenson
01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
@ eborg or any other Gimp users: I've tried to use Gimp a few different times. I used to be ok at photoshop. My problem with Gimp is it opens the file you are working on and other things in different windows. If I have a bunch of stuff open, its a pain to keep track of where all the different windows are.

How do you set up Gimp to be able to change tools etc without having to go search for stuff? It just seems like a pain to deal with the way it is set up.

vangogh
01-12-2011, 11:43 AM
I gave GIMP a try a few years ago and could never get comfortable using it. I'm not sure if it was GIMP itself or my familiarity with and having to unlearn the Photoshop way of doing things. I never did install it, but I think if you search there are plugins for GIMP that will make it more Photoshop like. I'm not sure if that will be what you need, but it might help and it's probably worth searching out the plugin.

Patrysha
01-12-2011, 11:49 AM
I use Gimp tons, but I am not really sure I understand the problem. Maybe because I've used it so long that I don't think about it much anymore...

Are you talking about the way the toolbox and the other elements (like say layers) are separate windows that aren't connected to the piece you're working on?

Harold Mansfield
01-12-2011, 01:05 PM
@ eborg or any other Gimp users: I've tried to use Gimp a few different times. I used to be ok at photoshop. My problem with Gimp is it opens the file you are working on and other things in different windows. If I have a bunch of stuff open, its a pain to keep track of where all the different windows are.

How do you set up Gimp to be able to change tools etc without having to go search for stuff? It just seems like a pain to deal with the way it is set up.

You mean how you can have 2 or 3 windows open to work on one project? I've just gotten used to it. I also use multiple monitors so I just pull everything to the monitor that I want it to be on. It's common for me to be piecing together 3 or 4 images and have them all open at once, taking what I need from each.

In Windows 7, if you loose track of where a window is, you just hover over the icon in your toolbar and choose the one that you are looking for.

Is that your question?
I'm not sure I'm getting it.

billbenson
01-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Are you talking about the way the toolbox and the other elements (like say layers) are separate windows that aren't connected to the piece you're working on?

Thats exactly what I'm talking about Patrysha. In contrast Photoshop has all of the elements on the screen and different images that you might be working with in tabs withing the one window. I find that a much easier way to deal with it. Eborgs approach of putting them on a second monitor is one solution. In Linux you can have multiple desktops as well (don't know if windows has this feature or not) which would do the same thing.

Still, I find it inefficient to have to go searching for elements all the time.

VG is correct, there is a Gimp installation with a Photoshop like interface. It was a pain to install with a ton of dependencies on Linux so I never installed it.

Patrysha
01-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Ahh...see I switch back and forth between Gimp and Photoshop Elements. I had the full Photoshop once, but it died in a hard drive crash a couple of computers back and I never could find the disk. Lost in one of our moves no doubt. I don't know how I work with them, I just do. And I only ever use one screen. I like Photoshop, but could never justify the expense considering that Gimp does what I need it to...our middle son got Elements for Christmas though as a freebie with his tablet. So I've started using that again.

Patrysha
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
There are tons of tutorials on things like that...Gimp Basics-introduction + Beginner Tutorial Exercise How To Use Gimp (http://wn.com/GIMP_Basics-Introduction_+_Beginner_tutorial_exercise_How_to_u se_GIMP)

billbenson
01-13-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm doing a lousy job of explaining myself here. Its exactly what your above statement says Patrysha. It has nothing to do with Photoshop or Photoshop elements. I used the word elements because you used it in the above quote.

I'd like to keep the toolbox, layers, etc always attached to the document I am working on. I've gone through a bunch of tutorials although not recently. It would be nice to be able to keep the toolbox, layers, resizing etc always attached to the image I'm working on. I've never had success in trying to do that.

vangogh
01-13-2011, 11:20 AM
I think that's just the way it is. If I'm understanding right it's the way Photoshop does things now too, at least on the Mac side. The toolbox, the layers palette, etc are floating boxes and then there's a window in the middle with your images. Each images can be in its own tab inside the window or on it's on separate window. But the tools are located as floating palettes outside the image windows.

Patrysha
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm doing a lousy job of explaining myself here.

Actually, no you weren't. The tutorials were meant for the goofball spammer that posted this morning saying they wanted to create a picture with better abs and bigger shoulders. It must've been removed and that sent the conversations sideways. I get what you mean but I don't know that there is any workaround for it.

vangogh
01-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Yep you can blame or thank me for the removal of that post. All his posts were copied and pasted from other sites. Bye, bye auto spammer. :)