PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Wordpress.com please.

jamesray50
01-11-2011, 10:26 AM
My blog is written in wordpress.com and then it is integrated into my website. But I was checking Google Analytics today and realized that it had never been submitted to search engines so it is not being crawled or read by anyone unless they see it on my web page. So I have submitted it to the search engines, but Google wants me to enter a tracking code for the analytics to work. Where do I enter this? Or can I with Wordpress.com?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Spider
01-11-2011, 03:13 PM
My blog is on WP .com and Google has it indexed, was included very quickly after creation, and is quite fast at getting the posts indexed, too. I don't know if this is the result of the blog having its own domain, arranged through WP. You can add a domain to your blog for under $20 a year.

Premium Features — WordPress.com (http://en.wordpress.com/products/)

BTW - topnotchbookkeepingblog and topnotchbkblog are currently available in all versions.

Harold Mansfield
01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
My blog is written in wordpress.com and then it is integrated into my website. But I was checking Google Analytics today and realized that it had never been submitted to search engines so it is not being crawled or read by anyone unless they see it on my web page. So I have submitted it to the search engines, but Google wants me to enter a tracking code for the analytics to work. Where do I enter this? Or can I with Wordpress.com?

Thanks in advance for your help.
You can't insert the Google analytics code on Wordpress.com blogs.
Source: http://en.support.wordpress.com/stats/

They do however have a stats program already .

Google analytics really has nothing to do with whether or not your site has been submitted to search engines. GA is a stats program. The only thing happening is that you site isn't being monitored by the stats program.
By it's very nature ( being on Wordpress.com) it is already submitted to SE's and being crawled since the root domain is already submitted and crawled frequently.

Once you check that box in Settings->Privacy, it starts getting crawled by SE spiders.

vangogh
01-11-2011, 03:42 PM
It's like Harold said. Your site is being indexed, but you can't use Google Analytics. One of the downsides of going the free hosted way. You'll have to use the stats WirdPress.com offers, which will probably be sufficient though it will mean having two different analytics packages for the site as a whole.

If you already have a site that I presume you're paying to have hosted why not install WordPress instead of using WordPress.com. Depending on your host it could be as simple as a couple of clicks. Even if that thought scares you people like myself and Harold offer services to install and setup WordPress. Not free of course, but hardly expensive and easily worth the value of being able to have all your analytics in one place, not to mention the general benefits of having a self-hosted solution.

Harold Mansfield
01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I think right now I think she is temporarily on a Microsoft site builder.

vangogh
01-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh, that would explain not having both together then. Of course you and I would both likely recommend placing both site and blog on a single self-hosted WordPress install.

jamesray50
01-12-2011, 12:09 AM
It's like Harold said. Your site is being indexed, but you can't use Google Analytics. One of the downsides of going the free hosted way. You'll have to use the stats WirdPress.com offers, which will probably be sufficient though it will mean having two different analytics packages for the site as a whole.

If you already have a site that I presume you're paying to have hosted why not install WordPress instead of using WordPress.com. Depending on your host it could be as simple as a couple of clicks. Even if that thought scares you people like myself and Harold offer services to install and setup WordPress. Not free of course, but hardly expensive and easily worth the value of being able to have all your analytics in one place, not to mention the general benefits of having a self-hosted solution.

My website is on Microsoft and the only way I could get a blog on it was to add a page and link the page to Wordpress.com. That was the only platform that is given as an option to use. I plan on combining both website and blog into one as soon as my website developer is available to move my website to Wordpress.org.

vangogh
01-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Makes sense. I hadn't realized you were on Microsoft when I made my comment above.