PDA

View Full Version : Stock Market

KristineS
09-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Have the recent events in the stock market caused any problems for anyone's business? How are you handling doing business in this interesting climate? Have you made any changes in how you do business?

BillR
09-24-2008, 03:33 PM
We typically carry a fair amount of working capital in our current business - our cash assets are anywhere from 200K-500K.

Because of that we did do a lot of checking to make sure all of that was covered by FDIC in the case of a bank failure. Otherwise we didn't do anything.

Evan
09-24-2008, 09:35 PM
I also am a partner in an investment partnership with almost all of our assets in the stock market. Granted there is definitely a big loss, there have been some stocks that are doing well. Despite the short-term drops, I really see big gains ahead. The situation is just becoming very tough to stomach for most people.

orion_joel
09-25-2008, 01:00 AM
I think that the idea of losing large amount's on paper asset's like stock's is hard for most people to stomach. Which really makes this the ideal time for people with the cash asset's to get onboard (even though it may be worth waiting a little to see where things are going) but there is going to be some stocks available at massive discounts to the actual value of the company asset's and as Evan said some big gains ahead.

I have already seen some companies in Australia that even though our economy is doing fairly well, are at anything up to half the price they were a year ago.

KristineS
09-25-2008, 08:13 AM
I definitely agree that agree that there will be opportunities for those people who are able to take a long term view. I think a lot of people are just running scared right now. Heck, I don't even have that much of an investment portfolio and the current state of the economy scares me.

Ad-Vice_Man
10-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Emotions+Business=failure

If the basic principal is to buy low and sell high... then why do so many people buy in good times and sell in bad... it's the other way around people.

Business Attorney
10-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Emotions+Business=failure

If the basic principal is to buy low and sell high... then why do so many people buy in good times and sell in bad... it's the other way around people.

One of my best investment decisions was to buy stock on October 19, 1987, though I have made plenty of bad decisions to offset that good one. I have also bought particulars stocks several times right after bad news came out about a company and I thought the stock was oversold. About half the time, it turned out that there was more bad news coming and I lost money. The other times I guessed right, but it some cases it took quite a while for the stock to recover.

This time, I am not plowing anything in yet. There is still too much uncertainty about what is wrong and what it will take to fix it.

llcollins82
10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm not much of an investor, but right now, I definitely am glad I don't have much money in the stock market. I'm a planner. Uncertainty bothers me so I am also scared about the current economical state.

Let me tell you, I will be watching the VP debates tonight to see if they say anything about it

phanio
01-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Are you refering to businesses that have securities on their books or personal investment in the markets?

Hopefully the securities on your business's books are short-term, fixed income type securities. If not, only thing to do now is wait and hope for a speedy recovery.