PDA

View Full Version : Steps to Start Online Business

kinglin1
01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I already have my product (for a clothing business) and a website designed, now I need to figure out how to register with the state (Minnesota).

Do I need do sign-up for a dba? What permits will I need? I plan to make sales outside of my state. How do I pay local sales and state taxes outside of my area?

Spider
01-04-2011, 10:49 PM
In Houston, Texas, we have something called Houston OneStop (or something like that) that is a city or state government office that provides information from all government departments pertaining to a single subject - in this case, starting a business. This saves people having to contact multiple govt.offices for specific information, rules, regulations, etc. Your city might have something similar.

If you can't find such an office, contact the librarian at your local public library. Public librarians are a treasure trove of information. They'll either answer your question specifically or point you to exactly the right place, book shelf or reference section for you to discover it for yourself.

Librarians are a gift to civilized society! It would be worth it if you had to pay for their help but - can you believe - their help is free.

kinglin1
01-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Hey Spider,

I found some information from the local chamber of commerce, and it seems to be answering many of my questions, however. I'm going to take your advice and visit the library tomorrow, to make sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks

vangogh
01-05-2011, 02:48 AM
Check the website for the secretary of state and/or the department of revenue for Minnesota. They were easy to find so I'll save you a little time

Minnesota Secretary of State (http://www.sos.state.mn.us/index.aspx?page=1)

Minnesota Department of Revenue (http://taxes.state.mn.us/Pages/index.aspx)

The Secretary of State site is the one you want for starting a business in Minnesota (http://www.sos.state.mn.us/index.aspx?page=92). The link will take you to the appropriate page on the site. The Department of Revue site looks like it deals more with taxes.

The starting a business page looks like it has what you want. There's a link to a page on Assumed Names/Sole Proprietor. It looks like you'll need to file a Certificate of Assumed Name for your business. The filing fee is $25. There are other links for corporations, but I'm guessing you'll start as a sole proprietor. It looks like you also need to then publish your certificate with a legal newspaper in the state for 2 consecutive issues. Once you've done all that your name will be good for 10 years.

Reflo Ltd
01-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Your Secretary of State's office would be one place to start... at least it is in Ohio. I am always very pleased with ours in Ohio. They always offer great info on the phone, with a live operator. Always very helpful and friendly. Same goes for our Department of taxation and other state departments here.

Just off the top of my head, you can file with the SOS as a business entity. I filed as an LLC (limited liability company)... you can also file as a corporation. Don't recall if there is an actual filing for a DBA. I think it cost about $125 to file as an LLC here in Ohio. There may also be other protections to creating a separate entity instead of operating as a DBA.

You may also want to file with the IRS and obtain an EIN (employer identification number). This is a big help so that you do not have to use your social security number when dealing with other companies and entities.

You will also have to register with your state department of taxation for the collection of taxes from taxable sales. In Ohio I only have to collect sales taxes (based on the county in which I operate) from buyers that live in Ohio. The myth is that internet sales are tax-free but I think that is false. My understanding is that a buyer is repsonsible for paying their sales tax to their home state when they make an internet purchase from outside of their state.

It would also probably be necessary to have some sort of product liability insurance. It is not too expensive at all and well-worth it if you should ever have a problem.

If you are manufacturing your product, then check with agencies that may have requirements for safety. agencies such as the FDA and CPSC, for instance, may have requirements for a product you make or sell.

If you plan to import products from another country, then there are customs rules you must follow, including markings that must be on those products.

Thats all I can think of for now. I hope it helps. I know it sounds like a lot but it really isn't bad at all.... It can just seem a little imtimidating at first.

jsingerston
01-10-2011, 08:38 AM
You sound like an ideal candidate for a crash course on starting a small business in Minnesota. I suggest you look up your local Chamber of Commerce. Ask them if they offer a crash course like this. The cost will be next to nothing or possibly nothing at all. They will probably put you in touch with someone who is a small business advisor. This person can set you straight on all of the local, state and federal red tape that you need to take care of. Believe me you do not want to screw any of that up. The best person to be asking your questions to is someone who is very local to you. If you actually call the Chamber and schedule an appointment with a small business startup advisor, you will not regret it. You will learn a lot and be much more confident.

vangogh
01-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I spent some time at a local Chamber of Commerce when I was first getting started and I found it helpful. Sat in on a few classes and asked a bunch of questions. At the very least I learned enough to seek out further information on my own. It's definitely worth it if you're unsure of how to get started. And do go through the website for the Secretary of State. There's usually a lot of good information there that can answer your questions.

KristineS
01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
The Small Business Administration and SCORE can also be very helpful. We have branches of both affiliated with a local community college and they've given a lot of help to local small businesses. You might also check if there are any economic development committees in your area. Those are all about helping small businesses get started.

vangogh
01-10-2011, 11:49 PM
You know I think those classes I mentioned were through the SBA. My bad. I did join one local Chamber to network and visited another for some event. Tried to do a little networking at both, but it wasn't my thing.