PDA

View Full Version : Full vs summary

AaronConway
01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
On the home page of your blog, are there any benefits to showing posts as full text vs summary? I'm guessing it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Aaron

jamestl2
01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
When you have several full-length posts on the home page, it can get pretty long and there's a ton to scroll through (usually), which can hamper navigation and finding things.

That's the biggest issue with multiple full posts on one page that I see.

vangogh
01-03-2011, 04:03 PM
There's also a search engine issue with duplicate content. If you publish full posts then for every post on the home page there's a duplicate on another URL. Better to show a summary.

I think it's always best to publish a full feed, but limit the home page of your blog to only publish the first paragraph or so. If you use the <!--more--> (look for the more button when writing a post) after the first paragraph then only that first paragraph will show on the home page.

Harold Mansfield
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I think it's mostly personal choice and aesthetics. If you only have one post on your blog page, you may want to display the whole thing.

Spider
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I am showing the full text, because I have decided to keep each post rather short. I don't like to read long articles and p2, p3, p4 always puts me off reading more.

KristineS
01-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I tend to go for the whole post thing, mostly because I hate having another click to get to the content. That's just my preference though, and I do click through to read other people's content if I find it interesting enough.

dojo
01-11-2011, 07:28 AM
I usually post pics too and this increases server load A LOT. So I decided to go with the excerpts. Less bandwidth, more page views.

vangogh
01-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I tend to go for the whole post thing, mostly because I hate having another click to get to the content.

You realize that most people probably aren't entering the site through the main blog page so? If I'm subscribed to your blog than I'm generally never visiting your main blog page. I'm going directly to the content itself. There's no saving in clicks.