PDA

View Full Version : Please read and comment on this email I received

jamesray50
01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
I received this email through the contact us form from my website:

"I'm seriously disapointed in your recent slander of my post on the small business forum. You're out of line. I did not join the site to be labeled a self promoting spammer by some fool.

I did join to help others with the broad experience and success I've had throughout the years.

Thanks for being a vigilante with unfounded values."

I am disturbed my this, I don't recall being rude to anyone.

mattbeck
01-02-2011, 07:19 PM
This thread maybe? Guy is confused?

http://www.small-business-forum.net/website-reviews/4291-review-our-search-engine-optimization-usability-marketability-etc.html#post42441

I wouldn't worry about it.

greenoak
01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
jo ellen...i cant imagine you being rude to anyone.....
wierd.....and mean...

jamesray50
01-02-2011, 08:11 PM
This thread maybe? Guy is confused?

http://www.small-business-forum.net/website-reviews/4291-review-our-search-engine-optimization-usability-marketability-etc.html#post42441

I wouldn't worry about it.

It wasn't that one. It was another one where they had only posted once asking for a review and when I looked at the website I could tell that is was very professional and they had been in business for years. I don't remember what they were selling but I think I made the comment about them looking for free advertising. But that isn't slander, is it?

jamesray50
01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
jo ellen...i cant imagine you being rude to anyone.....
wierd.....and mean...

I try not to be, but if my buttons are pushed, well...

billbenson
01-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I reported the same post as spam, which it was. It was deleted by a moderator later. You did nothing wrong. The fact that he sent you that email proves that he's someone that at least I don't want on the forum. We don't need stalkers.

Getting an email like this is one of the risks of having your real name on posts, your website etc. Unfortunately, you have no choice but to put your name out there as you are selling yourself. For others reading this thread, its a reason not to put your personal information on the internet if you don't have a business or other valid reason to do so.

BTW, the site and post was for site design. The posters site was 100% flash and had zero SEO. Something you want to stay away from in 99% of web sites.

vangogh
01-03-2011, 11:17 AM
You did nothing wrong Jo Ellen. I already dealt with the post and the member in question. You reacted fine. Maybe in the future just report the post instead of leaving a comment, but there was nothing wrong with anything you said. What you're seeing from this other person is a gross overreaction to have a post deleted. It's nothing you did at all.

Just ignore the email through your contact form. It's not worth thinking about.

jamesray50
01-04-2011, 01:57 AM
I deleted the email. When I first saw I got an email from my contact us form I got excited thinking someone else was inquiring about my services. Then I read the email and I got really, really mad. I thought, just who does he think he is? I thought lots of things, but then I finally calmed myself down and realized he was just being a jerk. But, I will be careful in the future on how I make comments on here.

KristineS
01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately you will get what are called "trolls" when you deal with people online. Trolls are people who like to start fights, who tend to overreact to things and who generally don't know how to behave. I'm guessing you've just had your first encounter with one.

I wouldn't worry about it. The best thing to do is just ignore those kind of people and report them to an admin or moderator.

Harold Mansfield
01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
It happens. A couple of years ago, I got so inflamed by someone on another forum that it got really bad. So bad that we were calling and threatening each other on the phone and I was seriously considering making a road trip.
Pretty immature I know, but as K pointed out, some people troll. It's easier to let them fade off into the sunset than to let them get to you.

Funny, I have a reputation on another forum as a BS killer. I challenge every noob or scam artist that comes on there with BS. I hate to see people get steered into scams when they are looking for help because there are so many con artists, money sucks on the web that pray on people who don't know any better and forums are their hunting ground. Everyone thinks their BS is new just because they just thought if it.
So I guess in a way, I'm a troll myself. But only to dishonest people. And never here.

jamesray50
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I have never heard of trolls. Interesting.

KristineS
01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
If you hang around forums for long enough, you will encounter one at some point. It's just forum slang basically. Some people just like to come to an online site and hide behind a screen name and be jerks. It's sad, but it does happen. We just call those people trolls. I'm not sure why they're called that, but it's pretty common slang for anyone who drops into a place where you can post comments and is rude.

maintenanceguy
01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
I even get silly emails from people who heard one of my commercials and have nothing better to do than send me stupid comments on my contact us page. I just send em a coupon and say thanks for visiting our site. It makes me smile when I do because I am polite, business like and know it tears em up lol.

vangogh
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Dan that's the perfect way to respond. Generally it's never a good idea to start arguing with trolls since their whole point is to try to anger you. Best is to ignore them. I like how you send them a coupon and thank them. That's a nice touch. Wouldn't surprise me if you turn a few into loyal customers.

KristineS
01-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I like your solution too Dan. I never argue with trolls. There's no percentage in it, as they can't be convinced and they're generally just out to be annoying.

Spider
01-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Trolls are little ugly little creatures that live under bridges in European fairy tales. They pop out every now and then to annoy travellers and demand food. You might remember that the bridge the three billygoats Gruff had to cross had a troll under it, and that is why they had to run across the bridge as quickly as possible. You can't reason with them, you cannot drive them away. There's only one solution (unless you are the big billygoat Gruff) - don't feed them.

The moral of the story is -- Don't feed the trolls!