PDA

View Full Version : How do you get customer info?

mobile resolutions
12-30-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm new to the business market and I just wondered if anyone had a great way of getting and maintaining customer lists?

Steve B
12-31-2010, 04:43 AM
I have a feeling you're talking about Prosptective Customer lists. If it's customer lists, then that's easy. I collect that information when I sign them up as a customer. I maintain that list by putting the information in Outlook Contacts.

greenoak
12-31-2010, 09:39 AM
i try to get everyone who comes in on my list....never mess with cold lists unless its on a facebook ad...we do sign ups , drawings, and mine the addresses on the checks.....they want to be on our mailing list so they find out whats gfoing on at the store evernts etc...
as a buyer and on line surfer i dont care for and usualy dont go into sites that make me sign in before i even get a look at what they are offering...

mobile resolutions
12-31-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree Ann...those are some good ideas.

mobile resolutions
12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
@ Steve B - Do you have to input each customers info in Outlook as you receive it or do you havea program that does that for you.

Steve B
12-31-2010, 02:50 PM
I do it as they come in. It all gets written down on a form as I'm talking to them (often on the side of the road in my van). After the job is complete, I enter their information in Outlook. I then can dump it into Excel and sort and do regular mailings, or e-mail newsletters etc.

mobile resolutions
12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Do you mind if I ask what business industry you are in?

Harold Mansfield
12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I put everyone in Outlook too. I don't keep info on every person that calls one time, just some notes maybe. Everyone else goes in Outlook with everything I have on them. The more I talk to them the more the info grows.
I even have some people's anniversaries and kids birthdays in their profiles, just from random small talk or quick mentions.
If you follow you your clients on Facebook, you can get a wealth of information about them. People put a lot of information on Facebook.

I sent one of my clients a "Happy Anniversary" email, just because I noted that he wrote that his grandchild was born 30 days before his wedding anniversary.
Facebook is better than the FBI.

mobile resolutions
12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
@eborg-so true. You mentioned following your customers on Facebook so do you market your business on facebook or just use it as a social connection to your customers.

Harold Mansfield
12-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Actually I do not.
I like Facebook to crack wise, have a few brief conversations with friends and to give politicians grief. One of my websites and it's corresponding Facebook page bears my name and it was hard to differentiate between me personally and me the business. I made the mistake of naming my Facebook page haroldmansfield.com, and my personal profile is just Harold Mansfield.
That was not a good move, I see now.

I'm trying to rectify that now so hopefully I can integrate it a little more next year and keep things separate.

mobile resolutions
12-31-2010, 07:12 PM
I am having the same issue with my facebook page. I have had my fb page for awhile as a connection with friends and family, and I just started my business so I know what you mean. That is the reason I linked my business to Twitter. I think I will open a new fb page for my business because it can be a great marketing resource.