PDA

View Full Version : Tips on finding or approaching buyers from retail entites?

Reflo Ltd
12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I have had a good discussion going on here about my new product and expected profit margins for wholesale vs retail. As of the first of the year, we will begin marketing and one of the things Iwould like to do is present the product to retailers. Probably just smaller local retailer chains like grocery stores, perhaps.

My product is the Reflo Smart Cup. You can see the info about it at my website Reflo Ltd - a smart alternative to sippy cups (http://www.reflo.net)

I have wholesale pricing established. But how do I approach a potential retailer? Do they normally buy an amount of product (if they are intersted in it) and see how it sells in one or a few stores?

Would it be a good strategy to offer them a free case to display and sell and if they do well with my product they can then begin paying for more to sell?

What is the title of the person that typically buys for mid-size and larger retailers? Do you call them, mail them, email them or send them an unsolicited product sample?

Thanks in advance!

Patrysha
12-22-2010, 04:23 PM
I have wholesale pricing established. But how do I approach a potential retailer?

The cheapest way is to have existing or potential customers approach the retailer for you, asking for your products. Set up a tab on your website for retailers to explore your product and have your offer of a free case highlighted...so they can order via your website or social media channels by filling in an application form. (make sure you make the qualifications to apply clear and have someone ready to go through them in a timely manner)

You can also do direct mail or online campaigns to reach out to the prospective retailers...there's a whole bunch of strategies that you can apply to that.

While you're doing that you can reach out to all the mommy bloggers out there, on your own or with the aid of someone like myself or similar publicist/social media person/firm. That can be hugely powerful, but must be done with care. Learn who the influencers are and reach out to them...it's all at your fingertips.

Do they normally buy an amount of product (if they are intersted in it) and see how it sells in one or a few stores?

Most would go through distributors. At least that has been my experience here in Canada. You might want to approach @MitchMcMullen (that's his twitter handle...I'm sure you can track him down through his profile there). He is a coffee roaster in California who got his products into local stores and Costco outlets...so he's been where you are in some respects. He makes liberal use of social media, not sure where he's at with the whole publicity thing.

Would it be a good strategy to offer them a free case to display and sell and if they do well with my product they can then begin paying for more to sell?

I think so...I outlined one method that could work above.

What is the title of the person that typically buys for mid-size and larger retailers? Do you call them, mail them, email them or send them an unsolicited product sample?

Thanks in advance!

No idea, but I think it would be easy enough to find out. Also look into trade magazines for the industry. Getting coverage in them publicity wise may be a bit challenging and you will have to be wary of pay for play type systems, but I know there are a few magazines directed at grocery store managers and retailers because I used to read them when I was a grocery store clerk for a brief time in a northern town.

Reflo Ltd
12-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Thank you for all the info.... maybe we'll talk more some day soon about your services.

n_touch
01-17-2011, 09:20 PM
I like the way you think Patrysha. A few other suggestions that I would look into:
1. Maybe try getting your foot in the door with a day care, you would have to find a local one and not one that is national since that would be harder. If a mom sees that their child is doing well with your product there, you are not only getting good advertising, but also a few sales, if they are a local business they would be more inclined to work with you so that you can sell your product there and give them a cut.

2. I would also look for all of the local boutiques, I have a few products that I like to buy, and I know were I can find them. Most of the time, there are places like candle shops, hallmark stores, and maybe a resale shop that may be a good avenue to get into. I know that these are not major market establishments, but a foot in the door is a foot in the door.

Good Luck with your product.

Blessed
01-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm seconding all of Patrysha's recommendations and n_touch's point about local boutiques.

When I worked at a local boutique as the Assistant to the Manager - we constantly received and reviewed samples, product fliers, and etc... - and we purchased from those places. Look into the local boutique type stores selling infant/toddler products and try to get your foot in the door with them. I know of a half dozen of those types of stores around here. I typically find new products there first and then see them show up in Target/BabysRUs/etc... later. You need to direct your contact to the Store Manager/Owner of the boutiques.

Another good place to be would be "Market" I've never had the opportunity to attend one of the big Markets - where products are displayed and store owners/managers/purchasing agents peruse the aisle's for new things to spice up their shelves, but I know people who have been both selling and buying at Market and they say it is really key for finding stuff and for getting your product in front of a whole lot of people at once.

Reflo Ltd
01-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Thank you n_touch and blessed. Great suggestions. I will pursue these avenues!

I have had some interst from both a local drug store chain (13 locations) and one region of a national retailer (300 stores total, 30 +/- in the interested market/region).

Reflo Ltd
01-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Another good place to be would be "Market" I've never had the opportunity to attend one of the big Markets - where products are displayed and store owners/managers/purchasing agents peruse the aisle's for new things to spice up their shelves, but I know people who have been both selling and buying at Market and they say it is really key for finding stuff and for getting your product in front of a whole lot of people at once.

Is "Market" the actual name of the event? I am not having any luck with looking it up that way. I would love more info about it though, if you could. Thanks.

Blessed
01-18-2011, 11:28 PM
They are actually trade shows - just always referred to as "Market" from the people I've talked to. Here is a link to one: Home Page - Specialty Trade Shows, Inc." (http://www.kidshow.cc/), and a link to a directory I found : Search results for listings - TSNN.com (http://www.tsnn.com/results.asp). Some of the things listed in the directory are consignment sales - I know because I participate in the local one and do quite a bit of work with several others around the country. But it might give you a spot to start looking. I found these two things after just a 2 minute look so... :) Maybe someone else around here knows more about finding these types of shows.

Reflo Ltd
01-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the clarification.... the TSNN link is awesome.

KristineS
01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Most larger retail chains will have a Vice President of Purchasing or a Purchasing department. They will probably also have a ton of hoops you have to jump through to even be considered for sale in their stores. Generally the rule is the bigger the chain the more you'll have to do to get them to sell your product. Most bigger chains also require a lot more paperwork, have more specific packaging and packing requirements and may require a lot more in the way of barcoding, invoicing etc.

Your best bet may be to start off with smaller venues and get some revenue generated and some experience under your belt. Once you've done that, you can add staff and then you'll be more likely to be ready for the big chain stores.

greenoak
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
as a retail store, i usually just get brochures in the mail.... and if it looks good i might look at the website..... another way is shoing your wares in a booth at the gift shows, or finding a rep to show your product.....
...something that all stores want its the wholesale price to be half of the retail price....this is a big point to small retail store owners....but maybe not for supermarkets... they probbably work on a lot s maller margin...
the big markets i know about are in chicago...at the merchandise mart, called the living and giving....and beckmans..
..then there is the atlanta gift show at the amerismart?????
and aslo dallas and las vegas....but i dont know the names of those...

Tri-Win
05-06-2011, 10:26 AM
1. great product. If i had kids I would want it
2. great site I was able to tell what you were selling, what it did, and why it works better than a classic sippy cup from your landing page photo alone.
3. sending out a brochure in the mail to retailers like greenoak mentioned is a good way to get your name our there. Sent the mailer one week. follow up with a call the next week. then hit them with another mailer a month later. that way you can connect with them three times. Just make sure you know you are talking to the right person first. Nothing is more annoying than selling the person who needs to ask their boss if they can buy it.