PDA

View Full Version : What was your motivation to "go it alone"?

virgo
12-22-2010, 12:36 AM
It's interesting looking back at the few months before the launch of our businesses (or the idea to launch our business) - What we felt, what we were doing, what inspired us.

Personally, for the months leading up I was absolutely on fire - It felt like something I'd wanted for so long was finally happening, like an absolute dream come true.

What inspired me to start my own business was I saw a gap in the market place - Too many printers care more about running their machines then whats best for the customer - I started Emroy - Print & Design with a 110% customer focus - It's worked incredibly well for me.

I think I've found that fire never really leaves you - Sure, it has it's up days (Yes! All my invoices have been paid!) and it's down (I can't believe I'm still working at 11pm) but it's still there.

Do you remember what you were like before you started your business? Do you remember what made you take the leap?

vangogh
12-22-2010, 12:33 PM
For me it was something I'd wanted to do for a long time. The reason I didn't at first was part not knowing what I really wanted to do and part insecurity about not having a regular paycheck. In the year or two leading up to my starting my business I had worked for a couple of tech companies and both times was let go through no fault of my own. There was also a longer period than I would have liked in between the two.

When the 2nd job ended it just felt like the right time to start up on my own. I knew by then what I wanted to do, was out of work anyway, and had a friend in a similar situation who wanted to join me. Our mutual business didn't do as well as either of us would have liked, but I took what I learned and started up again on my own and here I am.

A lot of the reasons for me having a business come down tot he greater freedom and flexibility they grant me. I've never been one who's productive at the exact same time every day. I also don't work my best when required to dress a certain way or speak a certain way or generally follow someone else's rules. I like the challenge of running my own business and I like that the responsibility for my success or failure is all on me as opposed to a set of rules I didn't have any say in creating.

huggytree
12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
i look at business as being like a game...football, baseball,etc.... its not necessarily about winning the superbowl, but being successful is about being a winner

trying to get better and better, making the right decisions while you see the competition making the wrong ones....

the main difference between winning and losing is all in the minor details....minor details is what people will pay more for.

some details are so minor that most people dont notice them or realize it, but ive found they make a huge difference in success...just a few extra words during a bid can increase the sell rate by 10-20 percent...being able to read the customer and put him into a catagory, then selling to that catagory...thats worth a 10-20 percent increase .

before i went into business i used to get headaches...sometimes 1-2x a week....since ive been in business it dropped to 1x a month and now its almost never...i love the challenge of it all....im pretty much in a place now that i cant lose...i can sit back and make more and more every year...i dont think i lost a customer in 2010 and my homeowner sales went up 110 percent...now i have to decide whether to stop trying to gain more customers or expand

other than marrying my wife its the best decision i ever made in my life....wouldnt change either

jamesray50
12-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I had toyed with the idea for several years of starting my own bookkeeping business, but since I had a paying job I just put it off. But, I was layed off last summer and wasn't having any luck finding anything that paid what I was earning at the job I was layed off from. And my elderly parents have moved in with me so I am their caregiver and they need someone at home with them during the day. So I decided it was time to start my own business. I like working from home and setting my own hours, and being here for my parents. It's convenient for me.

Harold Mansfield
12-23-2010, 07:53 AM
For me it was simple survival. I was tired of doing what I was doing, working for others, having a schedule, and needed to do something to make some money so that I didn't end up an old Bartender working the graveyard shift at some hole in the wall, waiting to get robbed.

I also never could stay at a job too long. 2-4 years max. I never wanted to rise, or go into management and I always thought dedicating yourself to someone elses company was a waste of time that would get you nowhere in the end and limit your possibilities and earnings potential.

I was already spending most of my free time on my computer learning and trying new things and enjoyed working on my own sites. When I realized that I knew more than most people, how big the market was, along with the limited number of reliable service providers...it was a no brainer that I should give it a go.

Now that I have a taste for it, there's a few other things that I want to spin off that I would have never considered without the experience of running my own show.

Getting started is an important step because it opens the possibilities for things that you would have previously never considered.

Spider
12-23-2010, 10:00 AM
My story has been told often enough on these pages and on my website, so I won't burden you all with it again. I just popped in here to comment on this --
I always thought dedicating yourself to someone elses company was a waste of time that would get you nowhere in the end and limit your possibilities and earnings potential.Tell that to Jack Welch, son of a railroad conductor, who started at the bottom of GE and became the CEO and regarded by many as the best CEO of the 20th.Century, and whose net worth today is estimated at over $700 million. Limited possibilities and earning potential? Tell that to Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford, who started at the bottom at Boeing, saved Being from the Airbus competition, and was then hired by Ford, the only major car company that got through the firestorm without a government bailout. Mulally's compenation is in excess of $15 million annually. Limited possibilities and earning potential?

While I would recommend anyone so inclined to start their own business, I certainly wouldn't suggest that "working for someone else" had "limited possibilities and earnings potential." I also would not recommend starting your own business to someone who didn't like the idea of being so thoroughly independent.

Harold Mansfield
12-23-2010, 10:09 AM
My story has been told often enough on these pages and on my website, so I won't burden you all with it again. I just popped in here to comment on this -- Tell that to Jack Welch, son of a railroad conductor, who started at the bottom of GE and became the CEO and regarded by many as the best CEO of the 20th.Century, and whose net worth today is estimated at over $700 million. Limited possibilities and earning potential? Tell that to Alan Mulally, CEO of Ford, who started at the bottom at Boeing, saved Being from the Airbus competition, and was then hired by Ford, the only major car company that got through the firestorm without a government bailout. Mulally's compenation is in excess of $15 million annually. Limited possibilities and earning potential?

That's not my reality. That was theirs at that period and time. I was never in an industry where I saw any growth potential outside of middle management, nor any stability. I was never going to run a division or be a Fortune 500 CEO for an existing company. Most people in America aren't going to be Jack Welch.

So it's either sit back and read about other people's success and dream, or take a chance of creating my own.

I enjoy the stories of people like Jack Dorsey (creator of Twitter), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Steve Chen (You Tube), Alan Green (Quicksilver) and other self made business titans that gained success with their own company. Many of them weren't the "climb the corporate ladder" kind of employee, which is why they took a chance on their own. I'd rather be Ford, than the guy who works for him. That's just me. I'm sure other people have different aspirations.

Spider
12-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Sure, most people in America aren't going to be Jack Welch, but why is that a deterent when most people aren't going to be Mark Zuckerberg, either? Every sizeable company has managers earning millions or approaching millions, just as there are many entrepreneurs. And just as there are many employed people who never get into management, so there are many entrepreneurs who don't make the big time - or the big bucks. And to say, you were never in an industry where you saw any growth potential outside of middle management, is obviously saying more about you than it is about industry. I can say that even though I wasn't with you at the time, because every industry has growth potential - always did, always will. YOU may have limited your vision, but the growth was available to you just the same as it was available to Jeffrey L Bewkes (CEO of Time Warner - Total compensation $15 million - been with the company for 24 years) and to James J Murren (CEO of MGM Mirage - been with the company for 12 years - total compensation $10 million.)

The point is, Harold, creating and running your own business is great fun and can be very profitable. But I will not try to turn people off making a success of their lives by holding down a great job and making a lot of money by working for someone else. There is as much - if not more - potential as an empployee than as a private business person. Simply because there's more money in and around large corporations than there is within the scope of a small one or two person business.

"Go where the money is," is a good business motto for anyone.

KristineS
12-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I think everyone has to follow their own path, and each path has it's pluses and minuses. I don't think anyone who is reading this thread would interpret anything that's been said as saying one path is better than the other. Eborg's experiences are his. Jack Welch's experience is his. Some people do very well starting their own business. Others succeed in a corporate business structure working for a company that someone else owns. I think it's the qualities of the person that ultimately determines whether or not they will succeed, regardless of where they work. There are people who start their own businesses and never do better than o.k. There are people who work for others and stay a middle manager their entire career. There are also those who will succeed regardless of obstacles or surroundings. Each individual has to decide what structure and what situation works best for them and if they can accept both the good and the bad of whatever situation they choose.

vangogh
12-23-2010, 12:26 PM
You can be successful and have a great life either working for yourself or working for someone else. It depends on who you are and how you define success. I think Harold's point about time is that Jack Welch might not have been able to rise like he did were he trying today as opposed to yesterday. Like Harold, most of the places I've worked didn't seem to have any kind of career path to the top or even offer hope that you could get there within the company.

On the other hand I can guarantee we'll be reading about people who are doing just that. I'm sure there are people working right now who are working their way up just like Jack Welch did. And there's no reason to think any of us couldn't do the same.

A lot of this comes down to who you are. I know myself well enough to know that working my way up the corporate ladder wasn't going to work for me and starting my own business was the better option. For someone else the better option might be the corporate ladder. There's no right or wrong answer here.

Harold Mansfield
12-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I can't speak for other peoples motivations or what their goals are. The name of the thread is "What was your motivation...?" So that is mine. I'm sure everyone's (motivation) is going to be different. People don't all do things for the same reason.
Of course there are plenty of people managing companies that are making good money, but that wasn't what this thread is about. I was merely stating my motivation from where I was in life and why I wanted to start my own thing.
If I saw a path that would have lead me to be CEO of a major corporation I may have taken that road, but I didn't see those doors opening for me that would have led to that kind of success so I deemed anything less a waste of my time because of the companies that I worked for, middle management just wasn't that attractive.

And based on the people that I know that took that road, looks like I made the right decision.

vangogh
12-23-2010, 12:59 PM
We have similar motivation I think. I was definitely not going to rise up the corporate ladder. Just not my personality to do the things you need to do to get there. Plus I really enjoy having all the responsibility and control over my own success or failure.

UFOnaut
12-25-2010, 06:42 AM
My motivation was my bosses stupidness and I think: "Such dummy can do business, but he can't do it without such workers as I am."

brookeandcamera
12-26-2010, 06:02 PM
I was determined to make a profit when I went 100% in business on my own. I knew it was important for me to work in the field which I did and the knowledge I gained has been priceless. I knew I was ready when I had enought equipment paid for, and enough savings cusion that I wouldn't go into debt. I went with the careful method, no loans, low overhead. I couldn't be happier entering 2011 with a profit from 2010 and new clients on the horizon. It took about a year to build up momentum, but my inspiration has remained steady.

vangogh
12-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Good to hear your inspiration has remained steady. That's one of the hardest things in the beginning. It does take some time to build the momentum you need and you usually need to keep at things through some down times. That inspiration helps so much to get you through those times.

Reflo Ltd
12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I have always been self-employed in one manner or another. As a young man I started in construction with my own company. I don't think I have worked as an employee of anyone for more than a year total since I've been an adult. I am now 41.

I do think that starting off early, with nothing to lose, made the entire self-employed lifestyle easier. It would be much harder to own a home and have a family before you decided to quit your regular job to take a risk on self-employment.

It has not always been a piece of cake but overall I have done pretty well for myself.... but I think it is in my blood. One big reason self-employment was my chosen path is because I could never get past the concept of busting my rear while earning the same pay as the guy next to me that was dragging his. I also hate the concept of limited earnings. As a paid employee is is highly unlikely you will earn outside of your salary or wage no matter how hard you work for the company.... yes, you might get raises but overall your potential is limited.

I am also always hustling and trying to make a buck. Construction is my main field but I will always buy something on which I think I can make a profit or try my hand at something new. I have recently (a year ago) applied for a patent on a product that I am now having produced and selling.

A big part of getting ahead is taking risks... but not stupid risks. My wife, on the other hand, hates to leave her comfort zone. When I told her that I bought some kitchen equipment form a client for $600 she had a fit. When I sold that same equipment for almost 6k, she wanted me to do more... lol. We've been together since we were teens and she is just getting more comfortable with the things I do.

My father was the same way. He never had a regular job in my lifetime (worked in construction too) and was always wheeling and dealing. He made a good enough life for my sister and I as a single father. We didn't grow up wealthy at all but we lived ok, grew up in a working class Cleveland neighborhood. He was financially secure however in his later years, after my sister and I had moved out.

mobile resolutions
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM
For me it was restlessness. I love my job, but I love the flexibility and freedom that comes with having your own business. I have always wanted my own business, but was unsure which business to get involved with. I am less then a week in and I couldn't be more excited about the decision to start my own business. Merry Christmas to me :)

greenoak
12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
IT WAS NEVER A QUESTION FOR ME....THE HOW WAS THo.....and we have had several versions of our thing over the years, we are flexible ....luckily i had and have a great partner who felt the same...i couldnt do what he does and he couldnt do what i do...so in a way our partnership doubles the effort/possibilities/output etc..
being my own boss is worth it to me for sure..and the motivation was just to do my own thing within my own pleasures, standards and rules....
.... even back when there wasnt much money. it was still good... but frustrating...
.i like the money but i came from a rich family and i definitley know money isnt everything.... it would never be my main description of success...i would want more of the good parts, not just the money.......
such a deep question!!! also i was a type AAAAA virgo and an english major and secondary education in college....and always a bit outside the box and definitlely didnt want to get in the boxes available to me!!! .... and definitly had no corporate desires and no teaching desires, after seeing what the school teachers actually had to conform to to be in the system.... so this life fits me like a glove...

Blessed
12-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I had kids and wanted to stay home with them - so I had to work from home and working for myself from home made the most sense.

I had always wanted to work for myself and when working for other people was always happiest when working for small businesses whose owners recognized my entrepreneurial spirit and provided bounds for me to stretch my wings within while giving me advice and helping me learn what I needed to know so that when I was able to work for myself I would have some idea of what I was doing. I could have stayed at the newspaper I worked for forever - unlimited growth potential, freedom to make decisions, an understanding of the finances and how important each thing was, my opinion was valued and sought out - I started at the bottom there as a receptionist and worked my way through every "department" and as close to the top as I could get without replacing the owner - of course it was a small operation with less than a dozen employees. On the other hand, I was actively seeking employment elsewhere when I found out I was pregnant - the print shop I was at was not a good fit for me. I was miserable. I did good work, everyone liked and respected me but I had no freedom - I felt like a caged bird.

thewebwriter
12-30-2010, 09:27 AM
For myself, I wanted less stress and more family time.
I feel lucky in that I have done a lot of things in my lifetime and can turn my hand to pretty much anything. Also spending 20 years in BCP/DRP gave me a lot of knowledge about contingency planning, so I always had several "what-if" plans in the back of my head.

For me the motivation to go it alone was stress both for me and my wife - we didn't want any.

greenoak
12-30-2010, 11:50 AM
jenn so good to be home !!! it really goes fast..and you are building a business at the same time on your terms....
..when my kids were little i had limited hours, just open 3 days a week and some night hours out in the barn selling furniture and dh would be in with the sleeping kids...
im sure a job would totally stress me out!!! but work doesnt...

daveb
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM
to see my ideals come through and be able to do charitable work with the money that ive earned through my own rights

ruth
01-22-2011, 11:52 PM
After I took an early retirement, I fell in love with a hobby and then began selling specialty craft supplies on the internet. I sleep late, stay up all night and sometimes work in my jammies. :)