PDA

View Full Version : dba.

mrscr
12-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey, Im steve. I have had my dba for about 4 years now and have decided to start making it grow. Now Im 22 and dont really know where to start... obviously i need clientel. which I have. It is a handyman service by the way. Anywho. I was just looking for some advice mainly to get things on the road.I know i am eventually going to need insurance. And a buddy of mine is unemployed also, so Id like to put him tow ork also. Does anyone have an suggestions on my next step? How would I work the taxes and such to be paying myself and him. Obviously it is not going to be a huge pay. But with my dba, how would I work that? would I just pay him as a dba also? or would I take taxes out for him? Like I said. I am new to all this. I used my dba for tax purposes when I was a subcontractor doing construction. Any help would be awesome. thank you!

Spider
12-19-2010, 08:03 PM
While there are some very knowledgeable people on these forum, a discussion forum isn't really the right place to get the sort of in-depth information for which you ask. I'd recommend a visit to SCORE - the Service Corps Of Retired Executives. They are all over the United States, so check your local librarian for your nearest office. You will be able to sit down with a SCORE executive and they will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Evan
12-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Are you employing your buddy? You going to be working together as partners? Are you sharing responsibility and profits? You have a lot of questions to answer in order to determine really how to proceed.

Business Attorney
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
... I know i am eventually going to need insurance. ...

Steve, that should probably be sooner rather than later, both to protect yourself and to give assurance to your customer. Personally, I would not let any contractor work on my property without appropriate insurance. Too many bad things can happen.