PDA

View Full Version : AdWords, most confusing...

orion_joel
09-19-2008, 02:40 AM
Hi All,

I am not sure if anyone would have seen that i have been running a small test of adwords on both my business articles site, and my personal blog. To see what affect this may have.

I placed the ads in a campaign on AdWords over a month ago, and was mainly testing a good range of relevant long tail keywords mixed with some short exact keywords. I had been checking every couple of days to see how it was going and was very disappointed to find no impression at all. Then when i was checking it today, i do not know what i clicked but it changed the display setting in some way and i have just figured out that in fact i have had close to 500 impressions of the ad's since i set them up.

To date no click's however, it has shown me not one of the long tail keywords has been used. All the impressions have either come from one keyword, or the content network (which does not show a keyword breakdown).

I just found it quite strange that some how a certain period must have been selected and remained a default showing old stats for another campaign i had.

vangogh
09-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Oh yeah the stats date doesn't automatically update. That threw me off a few times too until I noticed it. You'd think it would default to the last month or something similar.

Poke around in there. There are a few things you'd think would be default, but aren't.

billbenson
09-19-2008, 09:04 PM
But if you get some clicks, take a look at your site stats. It'll show the keyword that got clicked on.

orion_joel
09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah now i have found it i was surprised at the ad that i am trialing for my blog, even though it has had no actual click's, it seems like my name is a popular search term, and is getting the bulk of the impressions.

billbenson
09-19-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm guessing a bit here, Joel, but I assume its the blog in your signature. If your adwords ad is the same as your signature link, its optimized for your name. The page content has to do with an adwords test. If your adwords ad is something like keyword(name)->ad optimized to your name -> landingpage optimized for your name; This will get you impressions for your name.

Now this might get some clicks: adwords trial -> ad below -> adwords trial optimized landing page.

Here is the kind of ad I would use:

Adwords Trial
What really works for Adwords
My results with my Adwords Trial
ww.domain/Adwords-Trial

Use htaccess to redirect domain/Adwords-Trial to your landing page which right now is your index page. Also use domain/Adwords-Trial as your actual landing page and optimize it for adwords trial not your name.

That's how I would have approached it anyway.

You didn't ask for a review, so hopefully I didn't step over my bounds here.