PDA

View Full Version : could have been my most disgusting day yet as a plumber

huggytree
12-16-2010, 07:53 PM
i had a service call for a toilet overflowing....i asked right away 'the tank or the bowl'...she said tank, so i figured a stuck fill valve...nice, easy, clean job...i dont do drain cleaning or plugged drains

i get there and its the bowl....poop and TP all over....i do carry a toilet snake on my van and i was already there, so i figured id give it a try....i jammed my snake in and twirled it for a bit...tryed to jam it back and forth...nothing.....now my decision was to somehow empty the poop (somewhere?) and pull the toilet...then snake it backwards.....it wasnt a clean house or clean people...the smell wasnt good.....it was a tenant for a steady customer, so i didnt feel i could just walk away without losing a steady customer. I decided to give it 1 last try. I jammed the snake in and turned the snake 1 last try, but it refused to go through the clog...when i pulled my snake out there was a tennis ball hooked onto the end...i fixed it!...the tenant wasnt happy though because it meant the landlord would be charging her $180 for my work.....

anyone else want to be a plumber?

Harold Mansfield
12-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Nope. Not one bit.

Spider
12-16-2010, 09:06 PM
THAT is the very reason I didn't do house jobs, repair jobs, even new additions. Brand new major commercial installations only.

jamesray50
12-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear you had a rough day. But I'm sure your customer was glad you did a good job.

cbscreative
12-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Nope. Not one bit.

Ditto that!

Patrysha
12-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Nope. Not one bit jealous of your job at all. I've had enough fun with the simple plunging, with helping hubby reseat a toilet (discovered it was a flipping candle blocking the way not a hot wheel like I thought) and with the wonderful mess last year when the stupid tree roots grew into the sewer lines...ugh, ugh, ugh.

huggytree
12-17-2010, 01:08 PM
now you know why i dont do drain cleaning....i dont get messy very often...once or twice a year i get sprayed with something bad though...just happened this week...i ran out to the truck and scrubbed my face.....then put on a full face shield...the few times ive gotten sick from sewage were horrible...you cant eat for about 1 week...its been years since ive gotten sick though.....i got my Hep. shots

Blessed
12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Ewww Huggy - that sounds like an awful day! I hope the rest of them this week are good enough to make up for it!

And I think I'll stick to this computer work :)

jamesray50
12-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Lets change the subject now!

AmyAllen
12-17-2010, 11:00 PM
I can't believe the things people stick down their toilets! I didn't even realize a tennis ball would flush!?

Anyway, glad I don't have your job!

Patrysha
12-18-2010, 12:18 AM
I can't believe the things people stick down their toilets!

Sometimes we have little people to help with the experiments in plumbing...

huggytree
12-18-2010, 02:15 PM
I can't believe the things people stick down their toilets! I didn't even realize a tennis ball would flush!?

Anyway, glad I don't have your job!

i wouldnt have thought a tennis ball would fit either....and it wasnt one of the new higher flow toilets either...this one had the same 1 1/4" trap way...the new ones have a 1 1/2 or 1 3/4....maybe the ball would have went though those....

i rarely touch poopy stuff.....so yes my week went better.....there's no more work right now, so i will be doing bathroom painting this next week.....time to catch back up with house projects and spend some time with family....its going to be slow until jan 2011