PDA

View Full Version : Disqus

Spider
12-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I was attempting to comment on a blog and there seemed to be a sign up requirement so I clicked a button or two and registered. I thought I was registering for this blog but it seems they are running a "blog commenting" application called Disqus and I find myself registered at Discover your community - DISQUS (http://disqus.com)

But I cannot make out what they are and what they do. Oh, there are explanations there but I don't understand them. I guess one needs some conceptual understanding before the details make sense - like being confronted with a calendar but not being familiar with the concept of dates and time.

So, can anyone give me an idea of what Disqus is?

vangogh
12-10-2010, 12:24 AM
It's just a commenting system with more features than you typically find with blog comments. For example you can click or mouse over the commenters name and get a popup showing their profile in the system. I guess they kind of add a social network specifically for commenting. For the blogger they have spam and moderation tools.

There are a few other systems that do similar. Intense Debate is a commenting system by Automatic the people guiding WordPress. I think they started here in Boulder before becoming part of Automatic. They may even still work on Intense Debate here in town.

Again just systems that offer enhancements to the typical blog commenting system.

mattbeck
12-10-2010, 01:20 AM
I think the key thing about systems like these is that the actual comment system is not part of your site, they typically get generated and pulled in using javascript/API calls.

So they can be really useful for adding commenting to sites that don't have a built-in commenting system, because you basically just include their code snippet and do a little styling.

There are pros and cons to using something like this over hosting your own comments of course, but i think that's the main difference.

Spider
12-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Okay - we're getting there. Is there anything I should know from a SEO pov? This started off me commenting on someone else's site. Now it seems it might be useful for adding comments to my own site. But are there any SEO implications, good or bad?

thedz
12-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi -- I work at Disqus and came across this thread. To answer your question about SEO, it depends on how you integrate Disqus.

If you use the Wordpress plugin we provide, Disqus will automatically sync all comments to Wordpress's native comments. This means that when Google indexes the page, it'll see Wordpress comments that match anything you receive through Disqus.

We do a similar thing for Blogger, Movable Type and Drupal.

If you choose to use our universal Javascript embed, then we can't affect the content of your page when indexed by a search engine, since it's just Javascript. But in that case, we provide APIs that you can access from your side to grab comments for the current page and output them for search engine spiders.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at dz@disqus.com -- or reply here, I'll keep an eye out.

Spider
12-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Oh! I get it! ....NOT!

Don't worry about me - I'm the UN-tech member. I'm sure the others understand.

Thanks for stopping by.

Harold Mansfield
12-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Frederick the main benefit (IMO) of using Disqus is that it allows people to log into your site using their social ID's, making it easier for people to interact you. Facebook log ins would obviously go their walls which is good for picking up more traffic.

It's not going to harm you in anyway SEO-wise. Any fresh content, even recent comments, is beneficial overall.

I also like the function of letting people attach links, files and video with their comments. If you have a busy blog, things like this also help promote more interactivity by enhancing user experience.
Enhanced user experience, along with great content is how you pick up natural one way links...so to answer your question....The more readers you retain that appreciate your blog, the more links you will pick up to it.

So yes, if used properly along with other aspects that enhance the readers experience it is another tool that can hep you create a blog that people like to read and reference with links.
Links are good for SEO.

vangogh
12-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the additional info thedz. Appreciate you stopping by. I have to say I've been noticing a lot more blogs using disqus in the last year or so that I had previously. I've generally been impressed.

Spider
12-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Okay. Here's my basic plan. I will adopt Disqus. I cannot use it on my 'Making Business Fun' blog because I continue to use WP.com. Not interested enough in the technical aspects or advantages to go .org. Still, that blog is somewhat separate from my Coaching site. I do like the idea of introducing Disqus comments throughout my coaching site, and because - if I understand it correctly - Disqus is like a single commenting base from which I can connect to the comments from visitors on 20 or so pages. It would be too time consuming to check 20 pages on which there may or may not be a comment to answer, but with Disqus, the visitors comment on the 20 pages while I see all the comments collected in a single place.

Did I undersand it corretly, DZ?

Now, All I need is a set of instructions in plain English! ;-)

Harold Mansfield
12-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm confused. If you aren't going to use self hosted Wordpress or any other CMS or blogging platform, where do you plan on installing it?

Spider
12-10-2010, 05:45 PM
On my main Coaching website - frederickpearce.com. "Leave a comment" is commonly seen on blogs, I know, but I see no reason why comments cannot be used on static pages. You often see comments on articles - the likes of HubPages is based on that. Each of my webpages is about a different aspect or idea, around which a conversation could easily develop, don't you think?

Harold Mansfield
12-10-2010, 06:27 PM
On my main Coaching website - frederickpearce.com. "Leave a comment" is commonly seen on blogs, I know, but I see no reason why comments cannot be used on static pages. You often see comments on articles - the likes of HubPages is based on that. Each of my webpages is about a different aspect or idea, around which a conversation could easily develop, don't you think?

Hmnn. I'm not sure that will give you the interaction that you are looking for. I really think it works best when used with new information like blog posts. I'm not sure if that is such a good use to use on static pages.
My opinion is, if you want to create a discussion and have people interact, is not to use the pages where you are trying to promote your services. I wouldn't recommend to a client that they use it that way.
And, I personally don't use a comment section on my static pages because I'm not looking for opinions, or discussion, I'm looking for people to take action and contact me. So the bottom of my pages link to my contact form or email address.

I also don't think that it would be such a good look. If you want people to interact and leave comments I think you should do that on your blog where you are expressing ideas that warrant opinions.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Spider
12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
The way you describe it there, I would be discussing my services, which is not really the way to go. Hmmm. Perhaps I'd better rethink this.

Harold Mansfield
12-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Have you thought about writing for others? Maybe guest writing on industry related blogs, or blogs of friends and acquaintances?
It sounds like you like the idea of posting an article every now and then, but not as an everyday thing.

If you use other people's sites it's win win. You can still promote your individual articles the same way as if it were on your site. Most people who accept guest writers give you an authors box for a short bio and a couple of links. And you have someplace else to post that links back to your website.

There are even sites like Examiner that "hire" writers and bloggers in all kinds of niches both locally and nationally.

Spider
12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
That's a good idea, Harold. I think Examiner want a regular posting - they seem to me to be a sort of online newspaper with lots of contributing - but more or less fulltime - writers. But an occasional article for another site would be good for me. I think I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Harold Mansfield
12-11-2010, 02:30 PM
If you do a slight rewrite, especially of the first 2 paragraphs and change around the headline, you could distribute the same article to multiple sources. Say you have 3 or 4 associates that agree to post your articles. That way you are actually syndicating your material and gaining backlinks to your own website. It helps the blog owners because they have fresh informative content, and it helps you because you don't have to run a blog to get the benefits of distributing your articles.

What you want to look for is sites that will give you a well displayed byline (with photo if possible) and an authors box at the end for a short bio and at least a link to your website, contact information, or at least your email address. Sort of how I have mine set up: Blog | 1st Internet Media (http://1stinternetmedia.com/blog/)

If you are a registered contributor, you can still be alerted of any comments via your email and respond to them by logging into the site with your credentials.

As far as Examiner goes, they want frequency. It doesn't have to be daily. I'm an Examiner contributor and I do not post everyday.

thedz
12-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Spider, I can't comment on strategy for your site, but yes, you are correct that Disqus let's you see all the comments made on your posts in one place.

Here's a screenshot of the main administration page where there's an aggregated feed of all the comments made on all the sites you use Disqus on:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11056840/Screenshots/zqx7.jpg

Spider
12-12-2010, 11:34 AM
And, DZ - Disqus also brings together all the comments I make around the web on various sites and blogs, to a single page at Disqus - is that correct?

dojo
12-16-2010, 11:08 AM
It's a commenting system. I do stay away from it though. Wordpress "knows" how to handle comments, I don't need a third party for this.

vangogh
12-17-2010, 12:36 PM
True, but the default WordPress commenting system leaves a lot to be desired. It works, but it's really nothing special. Disqus and Intense Debate offer a lot more features. You don't need either, but both offer more than you get with the native commenting system.