PDA

View Full Version : Making Business Fun

Spider
12-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I am starting another blog. (The last one became part of a website for Houston Toastmasters Speakers Bureau.)

This one is called Making Business Fun (http://makingbusinessfun.com)

As you will see from the first short post, I believe that goals are not nearly as motivating as we like to think. In fact, the pressure to achieve a goal can be quite unmotivating, making the work of achieving decidely miserable.

My view is that the only thing that brings us back time and again is enjoying something. We enjoy watching football so we watch it often. The more we enjoy it, the more we watch it. We enjoy time with our buddies, so we do it often - the more we enjoy it, the more we do it. That, in fact, is how procrastination kills dreams - not doing something is more fun than doing it, so we spend more and more time not doing it.

My MAKING BUSINESS FUN blog will be to get down on "paper" (so to speak) as many ideas as I can come up with to make work fun -- to turn work into play. I hope eventually to turn it into a book. I will encourage people to comment and add their ideas and experiences on this subject.

So - for my blogroll, I want other blogs that feed this concept. I don't want other business coaches' blogs becasue I hope my blog will gain me new business but any other discipline that fosters the idea of Making Business Fun, will be added to my blogroll. I will start searching soon.

First off, though, if there is anyone on SBF who has a blog that they feel furthers the concept of making business fun, let me know and I will add a link for you.

We have begun making business fun.

Spider
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
In setting up the Share settings in this new blog, I have the choice of

Facebook - Twitter - Email - Print - Digg - Reddit - StumbleUpon - Press This

I have chosen to have a Facebook share button and a Twitter share button, but I don't know these other services. Is there a bookmarking service called Email? If not, how would a visitor "share" email? Likewise Print - it doesn't makes sense to me.

And, Digg, Reddit, StumbleUpon, Press This - what are these, and should I let visitors share my blog using these services? These names mean nothing to me (except Facebook and Twitter.)

Thanks

jamesray50
12-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Nice blog! I clicked on the tweet button so now it shows up on my tweet page. Saves me from having to tweet today. Thanks!

Spider
12-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Thank you, Jo Ellen. And, if you have a neat way to make business more fun from or in the accountng department, I would love to invite you to comment over there.

Bruce Chang
12-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Hi Spider, I checked your blog via proxy(unfortunately your website is blocked in China), it looks really nice. It's a great idea to make business fun. People will have fun if they like their jobs. Also, good relations with the people you work with give you some happy time.

jamesray50
12-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi Spider, I checked your blog via proxy(unfortunately your website is blocked in China), it looks really nice. It's a great idea to make business fun. People will have fun if they like their jobs. Also, good relations with the people you work with give you some happy time.

Bruce - how do you check a blog via proxy? Forgive me for being dumb.

Bruce Chang
12-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Bruce - how do you check a blog via proxy? Forgive me for being dumb.
First I run a proxy software, then visit the site. Many sites including Facebook and Twitter are blocked in China, people including me have to use proxy to have a look at the outside world.

jamesray50
12-10-2010, 01:30 PM
First I run a proxy software, then visit the site. Many sites including Facebook and Twitter are blocked in China, people including me have to use proxy to have a look at the outside world.

Would that cause you any problems with your government if they knew you were doing that?

Bruce Chang
12-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Would that cause you any problems with your government if they knew you were doing that?

No, as long as you stay away from the overseas activists. I use proxy to visit Facebook and other sites, which is fine. The government has been growing more tolerant, a good thing.

Spider
12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
In my latest blog post - at "Making Business Fun" - I have told how my very successful plumbing company was started on a joke.

Has anyone here a lighthearted story about how their business started, along the lines of making business fun? How did your business start?

Care to share it with us by commenting at the blog? (See sig for link)

TIA

jim_c
12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
Very cool idea and great concept. So many times people look at work as just that work so it can get mundane and boring. I like the idea of trying to turn it into fun. Great idea there :)

Spider
12-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Thank you, Jim. Welcome to the forum.

Spider
12-17-2010, 11:59 AM
My latest blog post is about Happy Customers--

Your business will make more money if your staff are happy. Having fun at work helps the staff to be happy. Therefore, having fun is good for business. Get it?!

Who wants to visit the Making Business Fun blog (link in sig) and tell us how they make their customers happy in a fun way - yes, I know, you make them happy by doing what you promise and selling them good stuff, but let's be honest, many of your competitors do what they promise and sell good stuff. What do you do to make buying from you FUN?

Spider
12-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Well, I have a few posts up on my MAKING BUSINESS FUN blog, but no comments. How 'bout paying me a visit and commenting. How do YOU make YOUR business fun?

jamesray50
12-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Frederick - I have thought a lot about this alot. I really wanted to write a comment for you but I really can't think of anything about my job that was fun. That's not to say that I don't enjoy my job, because I really love what I do, I love bookkeeping and payroll. I like helping clients take their unorderly set of books and make them orderly. I like it when I can teach someone how to use their QuickBooks. But, I can't think of how I make it fun for me or my clients. I make it easy, but not necessarily fun. Maybe I'm just not creative enough to think of fun ways to make my job fun. But it is still enjoyable. Sorry I can't help you with any comments.

brookeandcamera
12-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the link to your blog. A good read.