PDA

View Full Version : First Steps

dcampbell918
09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
What are some of the first steps you take when starting a new business? Are there any key actions to take to begin this process? Or right away once it has been launched?

Steve B
09-16-2008, 09:01 PM
It really depends on what you want to do. A solid business plan that is reviewed by several objective people and a S.C.O.R.E. counselor (through the Small Business Administration) was how I started. This helped confirm my decision to start a business.

After that decision was made, I made an appointment with a local business attorney to make sure I took care of all the legal stuff. In my area, there wasn't too much to worry about as far as licenses etc. Then, I opened a separate bank account.

KristineS
09-16-2008, 09:14 PM
I'd say a good solid plan is a must. It doesn't have to be formal, but you should have a good idea of where you want to go, what your target market is and how you're going to reach them, and how you're going to manage the day to day operations of your business.

I think Steve B's recommendation of talking with a SCORE counselor or the Small Business Administration is a good one. They can help you in a lot of ways.

cbscreative
09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Hello again, Dan. In addition to some great advice you are already getting here, we had another thread a while back that dealt with this too, and you can also glean some useful ideas and considerations there.

Here's the thread:

http://www.small-business-forum.net/planning-your-business/273-recommendations-new-business-owners.html

Dan Furman
09-16-2008, 11:38 PM
I'd go make a sale first. Really.

Don't worry about a plan. Don't worry about the name, a logo, business cards, or a business bank account. Just go make a sale.

If you make a product, make one and sell it on ebay. If you want to start a service, go do the service on some Saturdays. If you want to open a store, go sell some product at a flea market.

Go make some sales. That should be your first step. The rest will come from that.

Good luck!!! :)

bthompson6472
09-28-2008, 05:04 PM
I would definitely incorporate. Did you know that if you incorporate in Delaware you can take advantage of options not offered when incorporating in other states?

You might be interested in this blog post that gives some good reasons to **Spam deleted**

Evan
09-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I would definitely incorporate. Did you know that if you incorporate in Delaware you can take advantage of options not offered when incorporating in other states?

You might be interested in this blog post that gives some good reasons to **Spam removed**.

Bad idea. http://www.small-business-forum.net/planning-your-business/456-incorporate-delaware.html

Dan Furman
10-02-2008, 06:15 PM

You might be interested in this blog post that gives some good reasons to **Spam removed**.

Sorry, but this is pretty close to spam.

cbscreative
10-05-2008, 07:39 PM
You're right, Dan, but we did straighten that one out. There was a misunderstanding about forum rules on this post, it's been cleared up, and we appreciate everyone here paying close attention.