PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Honesty

501graphics
12-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi guys and gals. I just found sbfnet today, and think this is a great forum!

Please take a minute to peek at my website. I would appreciate brutal honesty. Any and all suggestions will be taken to heart!

501 Graphic Design (http://www.501graphicdesign.com)

Thanks so much!

Business Attorney
12-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I'll leave the tough comments for the pros, but one thing I can comment on is that the portfolio on the home page rotated way too fast for me. It made me dizzy, whether I was trying to check out the examples or just reading the main text.

vangogh
12-02-2010, 12:16 AM
I have to agree with David about the rotating portfolio. I'm not a big fan in general of moving parts on websites, but on your site they're definitely changing much too quickly. It pulls all attention to the rotating image and never allows me to truly see any other part of the page. Also know that by default I have Flash blocked in my browser. I have to click to allow it to run, meaning your header and the portfolio images loaded as large blank rectangles for me with a button to click to activate the flash.

I'd also suggest the background pattern is a little distracting too. I think the main things you'd want people to see when landing on your home page are your company name and then the services you offer. Both though are somewhat relegated to the background because of the background pattern and rotating images that are grabbing more focus.

More color would be nice. Very blue and white right now. Something as simple as using a different color for the page headings would make them stand out much more and liven up the pages. Perhaps also for the links in the main navigation. They aren't standing out to me as they are.

I like a lot of the work you show in your portfolio. It might be good though to divide it better into logos, business cards, websites, etc. I see you have things ordered this way, but having headings for each or even having different types of work in different places might be nice. Also with the websites I really want to click on them and see bigger images or links to the live sites.

From a search engine optimization standpoint you want to use a different page title on every page. Right now you use "501 Graphic Design - Logo Design. Print Design. Web Design. Consulting. - Little Rock, Arkansas" for every page. I'd suggest starting each page title with the keyword for that specific page first with your company name in location toward the end.

I'd also suggest creating more targeted pages. For example a single page about your logo services, another about your print design services, etc. Then each of those pages might have a page titles like:

Logo design services in Little Rock, AR | 501 Graphic Design
Print design services in Little Rock, AR | 501 Graphic Design

If your brand is well known you might want to use it first in the page title. You might also choose to use it first on your home page. Otherwise leave it at the end and let the main keyword of the page lead the title.

I'd like to see more page copy in general and some specific about your company. If I land on your site looking for your services I'm going to want to know a little about you and your business. How about an About page.

I'd remove your payments page. I would think before anyone is going to pay you they're going to need to contact you first. You can send them a link to that page when the time for payment comes. You can even send links to pay at PayPal in an email and many billing programs will create invoices with clickable links to PayPal. The page as it is serves no purpose. Your site should be convincing visitors to contact you. Until they do that there's no reason they should see a payment page.

Overall while I see the basics of what you do and offer there's not enough convincing me to hire you specifically among all the other similar businesses I would think exist in Little Rock. Why you? What makes you better than the graphic design company down the road. I want more information from you about how you're the best to serve my needs.

Harold Mansfield
12-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Well,
I have to say that I'm not crazy about the design. It doesn't do, what looks like good work, justice. I understand what you are trying to do, but I think it's too many directions and distractions.

First of all, I am not a big fan of the variable width. You don't have enough text or graphics to pull it off. Your text can be part of your styling. With the layout stretching across my monitor, it makes the site look small and emphasizes the immense amount of open, wasted space with nothing in it.

Second, The services page is more of an itemized list of pricing than it is a description of services. Other web or graphic people may know what you are talking about, but to a regular non tech, non "arts"person, none of that means anything to them. I think having that many differentiations of styles and prices is confusing to "regular" people. Pick the most requested, recognizable and popular services, highlight them and sell them. Use the lesser known terms and services as additional bullet points or additional services.

Most people don't really need to know the technical term of what you are doing, they just want to know that you can do it. save the jargon for the invoice.

Create an informative services page that sells the product, not just a price list. You want people saying to themselves "Yeah, that's what I need!", or "That's what I'm looking for"...not trying to figure out the difference between a Vector Logo - Font-Based, Vector Logo - Icon-Based - Basic and a Vector Logo - Icon-Based - Complex.
Anyone on the fence or not sure about spending the money will run screaming from that page and just assume the whole thing is too complicated to figure out at the moment.
They will also assume that you won't talk to them in away that they can understand. People don't like to feel in the dark when hiring someone.

The portfolio page. Again, the big wide page makes your work look small...as in unimportant.
Not a big fan of the client page at all. It's just a big list. If you aren't going to link the portfolio work to specific clients, then just drop the list of clients all together unless it's as a testimonials page.
I don't think that you should have important things rotating in and out unless you are going to provide, or link to additional information about them. Showcasing some examples of your work is important and it shouldn't just fly by as if it's just some random group of photographs.

I like the effect in the header, I actually love it, but I was really hoping to see "Little Rock" (since that's the market you seem to be targeting) and your phone number appear. You have your phone number way down at the bottom of the site as if you are hiding it.
If you are going to put it on the site for people to call, put it in their face so that they can see it.

Payments: Big page with one paragraph and a pay pal logo. Wasted space.

Overall, your work looks better than the presentation of it. I don't think that site does your work justice at all. It washes it out, makes it look small and is not the focal point of the website. The header and background (which is a distraction) are. When I left your site, those are the things I remembered..the header and background, not the work.

That's my brutal honesty.

greenoak
12-02-2010, 09:37 AM
i was just on the first page..the most important page......i like the colors and the simplicity...but i cant see the examples....thats pretty irritating.... they seem to look real good and interesting but then they are gone....couldnt they be at the bottom in a row ? i thnk they should be on the landing page and they would be a good contrast to the simplicity ..

501graphics
12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Wow! You don't understand how much I appreciate your honest opinions. The constructive criticism has been great. You all make valid points, and the funniest thing is: almost everything you've mentioned is something I've either considered, or done in one of the previous versions of my site. Like I said before, I'll take every comment to heart. It looks like I have a lot of work to do!

vangogh
12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Glad we could help Aaron. Please do keep sharing as you continue to make changes to the site.

Just to reinforce a few things Harold said I agree that your site doesn't do your work justice. I liked everything in your portfolio more than your site. I also agree about the fluid design. I'm not usually a big fan of them, because I think most people don't pull them off well. Your site currently doesn't have enough content to really justify the fluid approach either.

Again share more as you make changes.

mattbeck
12-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Pretty much think the visual things have been well discussed, but you have a bunch of validation errors as well that you should really take care of.

w3c validator for 501graphicdesign.com (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.501graphicdesign.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0)

501graphics
12-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Thank you again, guys. I'm looking into this boatload of validation issues right now. I'm really glad you like my artwork, and will work to improve the layout of the site immediately, and will happily share them with you as I progress. Here's a final question: how do you feel about CSS vs tables?

Harold Mansfield
12-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Thank you again, guys. I'm looking into this boatload of validation issues right now. I'm really glad you like my artwork, and will work to improve the layout of the site immediately, and will happily share them with you as I progress. Here's a final question: how do you feel about CSS vs tables?

Don't like tables. I have personally never used them, but i hate it when i am redoing someone's site and there are tables everywhere that I have to navigate to pull the content. It severely bloats the code and I only see it on the oldest of websites. That's just me. Some people still swear by them.

Here is some thought on the subject:

In the best case scenario you’d be adding at least another table cell to get another block of information compared to adding another div for another block of information, which would grow our code equally. Most of the time though, that relationship won’t be 1:1. It will usually involve adding more tags on the table side as compared to the div side.

More code leads to more potential for errors. Software developers have known that for years and it’s equally true of the code used to develop a web page or site.

Hmmnn, now where could I have gotten that from?
Oh yeah:
CSS vs Tables: The Debate That Won’t Die | Van SEO Design (http://www.vanseodesign.com/css/css-divs-vs-tables/)

Spider
12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Did someone say something? :-D

Harold Mansfield
12-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Shhhh. Secretly likes tables ...
Did someone say something? :-D

jamesray50
12-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Hi Aaron,

I don't review websites, but I do like the work you showcased on your website. I loved the doggie business card. Really cute. The people on this forum are really great about giving good advise about websites. I've made lots of changes to mine based on their suggestions, changes for the better. Good luck.

Harold Mansfield
12-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi Jamesray,

Just wanted to say that all opinions are helpful. While some of us may give a technical eye to things, what's most important is any outside view of what a potential customer might see. You don't need to be able to build websites to share your impression. Fresh eyes from a variety of people is the only way to get a rounded view of what is going on and how other people see it.

Some of us can't see things plainly anymore without breaking down the procedure or looking for the stitching in the seams.

A non technical view is probably most important because it is just an honest impression.

AmyAllen
12-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I've used both - Tables way back in the day when I was first learning (because that's how it was done back then) and now I use CSS. I think there is definitely more of a learning curve with CSS, but once you've learned it - it's a much more sophisticated way of doing things.

Tables were never really meant to be used for creating layouts, so using them that way is really just coding using a lot of "cheats". It works, but the code is really bulky and hard to wade through. CSS on the other hand was meant for designing and because of that - the code is cleaner, and easier to update and understand.

Obviously there's a lot more behind this debate: page load times, browser renderings, etc. But having used both, I prefer CSS. I also think learning CSS is a better investment in the future as standards and design practices change for the web. Tables might be left behind, but CSS is the official language of web styling.

501graphics
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
As it is now, my site uses a mishmash of both CSS and tables, but with the redesign I'm working on now, I will attempt to eliminate the tables altogether. I'm working hard to employ everyone's suggestions because I always welcome constructive criticism and I like to change my site often.

I'm really excited about the new site design. I'll hopefully have something to show you before the weekend is out.

I can't thank you all enough!

Paper Shredder Clay
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
My first impressions are, I don't like "Design" being backwards. I understand you want it to standout but putting the whole thing backwards is not unique, it's disinteresting because people know the only reason it is backwards is to stand out. Spacing is bad, there is too much space between alot of the items. Typography is bad. Spend more time making the text stand out. Text should not stretch out across whole horizontal, I believe they say text shouldn't be much over 500 pixels wide or it slows reading down. On the client page way too much space between the text. Image rotation too fast on homepage.

Best things to work on is type, type width, slow image rotation.
Don't have all of "design" backwards, focus on one letter and make it backwards but not whole word.
If those get address, I think it will help alot.

I admire you for being so willing to ask for critiques, that will help you a lot in the future.

KristineS
12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm a writer, so I tend to comment on the writing aspects of sites, plus I think a lot of the visual stuff I would have mentioned is already been covered.

One thing I did notice is this, you have more text about your terms than you do about your services and/or your description of yourself. Your work is very nice, but after reading the text I don't really come away feeling like I know why I want to work with you, or what it would be like to work with you. You also use terms like SEO that not everyone would understand. That's not a bad thing, as it's an educational opportunity, but the information to help educate people needs to be available for them to access.

Your services page is just a list of prices, your descriptions of your services on the front page aren't bad, but they're pretty generic. They sound pretty much like standard web design/graphic design web site copy which, again, isn't a bad thing, but you guys do some unique work and your copy should reflect that.

I'm not saying what you have on your site right now is bad, it's not, I just think your content could be used to better advantage.

jamesray50
12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Okay, I'll give you my opinion of your website. First of all I suffer from migraines and looking at a computer screen can trigger a migraine. The flashing pictures are not something I would want to see if I clicked on a website. Also reading blue on blue is hard on my eyesight. That would also cause me to get a headache. I would just click off the website and find another website that was easier to read rather than take a chance on getting a headache. I don't always get a headache when I'm on the computer, but sometimes if I have been on for a long time I can. Sometimes just a short time on the computer and I'll get a headache. I'm sure there are other people who are the same as me.

501graphics
12-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Alrighty...updates a-plenty. What do you think now?

Hopefully, there will be no headaches this time around, but I won't be surprised if there are.

How badly will the Flash landing page hurt me SEO-wise?

jamesray50
12-06-2010, 02:51 AM
WOW! It's not even the same website! I actually liked the other one better except for the tone on tone. Sorry.

Oh, personally I don't like websites where I have to go through a door to get into the site. I'd rather see up front what is being offered. It's like it's a secret. I rarely click through when I come to a website like that.

Spider
12-06-2010, 08:21 AM
This one did nothing for me, I'm afraid. I think Splash pages are dangerous. My thought process went --

1. Is this all there is for a home page - home, portfolio, contact?
2. No, wait! This is a splash page. Drat! Click, Skip Intro.
3. Second page - Is this all there is? From a design firm?
4. Bye!

There was nothing to compel me to stay around and learn about you.

SEO? I don't see anything the SEs could index. But SEs are not the only way to get work, of course.

ADDED: About the color. I'm not an expert on color, by any means, and you surely know a lot more about color than I do. Blue, to me, is an authoritative color - a take-charge color - vibrant, strong, commanding. But there is also another kind of blue - down, depressing, sad - when you have "the blues." You seem to have chosen this latter kind of blue, and I don't think that is helping you. (If you don't agree with that, ignore me - I really am not a color expert - as my wife will eagerly confirm!)

Blessed
12-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I too liked the other one better - I didn't watch the whole splash page and the home page doesn't hold my interest.

Business Attorney
12-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Sorry, but I agree with the others. This is a step backwards. Think of yourself as your client here. From what I have seen of your work in your portfolio, you would deliver a much more effect site to your clients. Do the same for yourself.

Harold Mansfield
12-06-2010, 10:51 AM
I have to agree as well. Not too big on splash pages unless they immediately go to the home page.

I know exactly what you are going through. It's easy to do for clients because they give you something to go on, but when you are doing your own it's a lot harder.
On the one hand, you want your site to be a visual representation of your skills and talents, but you also have to make it user friendly or they will never stick around to see it.

I think you should go back to the basics and answer the questions that people will want answered immediately when they come to your page.

1. Who are you?
2. What do you do
3. Are you any good?
4. Why should I hire you?
5. How do I contact you?

And then figure out a way to wrap that in your style.
The new version shows off your skills, but it doesn't effectively sell your services or provide a potential client with enough information to make a decision.
Writing the content on your website is even harder than designing it, but you have to engage people and make them want to call you.

501graphics
12-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Ugh. Thanks again guys.

vangogh
12-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Looks like I missed a lot. I may have missed an intermediate design. What I see now I like a lot better than what I initially saw when you started this thread. Based on what everyone else is saying about this being a step backwards, I'm thinking I missed something in between these two.

What I see now though looks far better than what I saw originally. I think it shows off your talents better. However…

I agree with everyone about the splash page. Splash pages and intros do nothing but keep people away from the content they want. If you want to show off your ability with Flash do so inside the site where people who want to see it can access it, but everyone else can ignore it. And realize that there are people who prevent Flash from loading by default. Me for example. So when I landed on your home page I saw a lot of emptiness.

I still think you need more content. Sure I can see the three types of services you offer, but I really want to know more before choosing you over the company down the street.

The way the portfolio is set up now the next and previous links aren't obvious. Keep in mind many people will need to scroll to see them and may instead click back or away instead of scrolling, particularly when the page doesn't give much indication there's anything to scroll to.

501graphics
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Actually, you're seeing exactly what everyone else dislikes. I'm in the preliminary stages of a redesign that will a) eliminate the landing page and b) contain much more content. I'm glad you like it!

KristineS
12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I like the design and the use of colors much better. You've definitely made strides in that area. Not wild about the flash page and the fact that the portfolio starts scrolling and there really isn't any way to tell what you need to do. I finally clicked the home link to see what would happen and then I got some explanation.

I'm also totally in agreement with Vangogh about the need for additional explanatory text.

Remember, and I'm sure as a designer you know this, sometimes you have to go through a couple of sort of right versions before you get to one that is right. I think you've made some good changes with this one, now you just need to refine it.

501graphics
12-07-2010, 03:56 PM
You're right. This is about the tenth version of my site over the last copule of years. Lol If I get bored and have no work coming in, I redesign it...and it's not always a good thing.

vangogh
12-08-2010, 11:55 AM
If I get bored and have no work coming in, I redesign it...and it's not always a good thing.

I know the feeling. :) Most of my redesigns tend not to end up on the live site, but they do exist in various stages. Tweaking a live site often can be a good thing. A total redesign probably isn't appropriate all that frequently.

AmyAllen
12-09-2010, 11:44 PM
I also like this version better than the last - at least in terms of style/graphics and colors. I think the navigation on the first site was more obvious. I don't even mind the Flash intro. I also agree - you need more content (I say this very hypocritically, as someone with a one page website.)

I like the idea of showcasing your portfolio with Flash, but the fact that it just starts scrolling through random icons was a little strange. It took me a minute to realize that I was looking at a portfolio. It was a little random.

Also, when I did go to your portfolio page, it took me a minute to find the "previous" and "next" buttons. You might consider making those a little more obvious.

Anyway, like I said: I think it's an improvement overall. The last version with the blue on blue felt dated to me. Your portfolio is great - so you'll get there with your own site. It's just so much harder when it's yours! I'm struggling with a redesign of mine right now as well. Good luck!

vangogh
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Amy one difference with your site and Aaron's in regards to the content is you haven't tried to place the content over several pages. Sure you could probably use more content in general, but it doesn't feel so in need since the site is only the single page. More pages call for more content.

501graphics
12-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Alllllllrighty. If you guys get a free minute, please peruse the latest incarnation of the ol' website. The navigation's labeling has changed, the portfolio is no longer Flash, and there is quite a bit more in the content arena than before. I understand that the content still needs beefing-up before it's all said and done, but I think it's a decent start. Oh, and I haven't changed the page titling, keywords, etc. for each page, either.

Also, please forgive this message if it seems to make no sense. I'm exhausted...

And again, I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to look at my site and provide feedback. I'm sure you have better things to do, and it means a lot to me that you would help me in this way.

Spider
12-13-2010, 10:59 AM
First - with the logo on the right of the screen, my eyes shot to the right then had to retrace to the left to start reading. Momentary, perhaps, but unnatural and disorienting. It might help if the first words of the text - "501 Graphics" - were bigger and/or bolder and/or capitals - they might even be a fancy graphic - to keep my eyes on the left and encourage me to start reading.

This first page is clearly the WHO? page - About us. Yes, but I didn't come to your site to find out about you - I came to find out what you could do for ME. Even your WHY? page - Differences - was all about you and not about me. Word count - You, your = 5 : We, us = 13

Judging by your WHAT? page - our work - you are very good at design. Judging by your own site, you are not so good on text. I recommend you hire someone to do your copywriting. Focus on what you do best and stop struggling with the words.

"Sell your strengths and hire your weaknesses"

KristineS
12-13-2010, 12:24 PM
It's better. I like the who, what, when, where menu options, but that's probably because I wrote for newspapers when I was younger. If you've ever taken a journalism class, that's drilled into you.

I like the colors and the design. It's making more sense now as a unified site. You do have more text, which is good. I would have to agree with Frederick that the text needs some work, but it's better than it was. If you have a copywriter you work with, or if you can afford to hire someone who knows how to write copy for websites, that would probably be a worthwhile expense.

I think this version has made a lot of strides, now you just need to keep refining.

jamesray50
12-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I like it better than before. I like the who, what, when, where, how. I also liked how it changed when you hover over it. But, I don't think your home page looks like a home page. It looks like an about me page. Also, there is no header. I guess a website doesn't have to have a header, or your menu items are your header. I didn't like where your logo was and I thought it was harder to read, expecially Design. That's it. Please feel free to critise my webpage since I have been so hard on you.

Blessed
12-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Aha - I think now we're getting someplace...

I'll echo Frederick and Kristine on the copywriting - hire it out, or if you have a collaborator who is better with text get them to help you out.

The thing that seems to be missing to me now is branding. Yes, I see your name and even your logo - but I'd like to see it more prominent, at least on the home page.
Maybe on the what? why? and when? pages simply having your logo repeated at the end of the text in some largish, branded, stamped, sealed & approved manner would be sufficient. But... I like to know whose web page I'm visiting without having to read the text and the logo you have over on the left hand of the page tells me that - but it doesn't really make much of an impression.

I like the portfolio much better this way than how you had it before.

501graphics
12-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks again everyone. The landing page is different now, by the way.

I'm not finished - I realize this - but I think I'm making progress.

501graphics
12-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, it seems that despite my horrendous copywriting skills, my site has reeled-in two new design clients in the past two days! lol I'm kind of excited about it, too...

Don't worry, guys; I'm still working the kinks out. I GREATLY appreciate all the feedback I've received here. Y'all are the best!

jamesray50
12-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Congratulations on your new clients and good luck!

501graphics
12-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks so much!

Blessed
12-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Well, it seems that despite my horrendous copywriting skills, my site has reeled-in two new design clients in the past two days! lol I'm kind of excited about it, too...

Don't worry, guys; I'm still working the kinks out. I GREATLY appreciate all the feedback I've received here. Y'all are the best!

That is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Spider
12-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Good job! Maybe your copy wasn't so bad after all. "What works" trumps what "'experts' say" every time!

Blessed
12-17-2010, 12:37 AM
I maintain that the copy needs work - it isn't awful, but it isn't great either - I would like to see the quality of the copy be equal with the quality of work in the portfolio.

Just my two cents - of course, I'm no expert... just an old newspaper girl who has moved on to other things now - like junk mail, catalogs and stationary :D

KristineS
12-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I think things can always be improved on any website. Bringing customers in is great, but you can never let a site rest on its laurels. You have to identify the stuff that works as well as it should, and fix or upgrade the stuff that could be better. Every site should always be a work in progress.

vangogh
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Congrats on the new clients Aaron.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone. I like where the site is going, but have the same thoughts about the copywriting. It's not that it's bad, but I know if could be much better. For example on your why page you have

We aren't comprised of snobby hipsters with shiny Macs and tight jeans; we are outgoing, friendly, we love our PC's and have a Hip-Hop flair.

1. I highly doubt any of your clients will care whether you use a Mac or a PC. They just want you to do good work for them.
2. With that line you have 0% chance of landing a client who owns a Mac since you've basically insulted them.

The line does nothing to sell your services, but potentially turns a significant number of people away.

I agree with Frederick about the logo. You can certainly have it on the right, but there's a reason it's usually located in the top left corner. I'm mixed on the use of the who, what, why…

It's not too hard to understand what will lead where, but I wonder if people will be looking for a home link.

Why no page headings? The solid blocks of text could use some headings. You might also want to think about incorporating some lists, and quotes (ideally from happy customers). Something to break up the solid block of text so it looks more visually appealing.

Harold Mansfield
12-17-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree with Frederick about the logo. You can certainly have it on the right, but there's a reason it's usually located in the top left corner.

Top left corner is the first place people look. Both on the web and naturally when reading or browsing any kind of documents. It's how we (English speakers) read, Left to right, Top to Bottom.
That's usually where people will put the most important information, title, branding or any kind of eye catcher or slogan.

Blessed
12-17-2010, 02:13 PM
1. I highly doubt any of your clients will care whether you use a Mac or a PC. They just want you to do good work for them.
2. With that line you have 0% chance of landing a client who owns a Mac since you've basically insulted them.

I, who am a Mac owner, took the whole "snobby hipsters" business as tongue-in-cheek especially since I haven't worn tight jeans in years... :D but Vangough raises a good point - because although you and I are basically peers, I respect the work I've seen on your site and etc... the sentence still made me roll my eyes and did discredit you a bit on some subconscious level that I've learned to be aware of in my 15+ years of working in the newspaper/graphic design/marketing/pr fields.

I also want to second Steve's other points - especially about the solid blocks of text - I never read a site that looks like that. Even a blog has a bit more interesting things going on in the sidebars, etc... to keep your attention on the page a bit longer.

Harold Mansfield
12-17-2010, 02:25 PM
I think the whole Mac thing was cute, but..yeah you don't what to do that. It's just as bad as bad mouthing other service providers...which I see a lot of people do on their websites.
Keep personal feelings, jabs and wise cracks out of your business website.
Humor is fine. Even helpful, but it needs to be funny across the board.

501graphics
12-17-2010, 02:58 PM
lol! I love it. My "snobby hipsters" jab was more out of jealousy than anything. ;) I'd own a Mac if it was feasible...and I once lost a client over the fact that I don't own a Mac. I definitely see the point about it driving people away, though, and I definitely don't want to do that. I'll have to force it into my 'Inappropriate Attempts at Humor' file with all the rest of them.

The logo will probably stay on the right. I've been toying with the idea of making it obnoxiously huge, but haven't tried it just yet.

I also agree that my text needs headings and have considered something on the sidebar, possibly a 'featured project' or something of that nature. As I've said before, I understand that it's a work in progress, and I can't thank you guys enough for the wonderful critiques. Although I've never intended on leaving it alone, I must put further revisions on the back burner; I owe that to my new clientele.

If I missed anything, I apologize. I need to do some Christmas shopping for the kiddos.

Blessed
12-17-2010, 06:41 PM
It doesn't really matter what computer you have - I lost a client once because I'm Mac based - I was surprised, but hey... whatever floats your boat, right? :) Anyway... my Mac is definitely well worth the investment!

Christmas shopping? I've been done with that for a couple of weeks! <ducks to avoid rotten potatoes, eggs and etc...>

Spider
12-17-2010, 08:30 PM
If you want to keep your logo on the right, for whatever reason, I think it would be a mistake to make it large. Perhaps your reasoning for right placement is sound, but the point is, readers must start reading at the top left corner of the page. There's no avoiding that. You need something that will draw their attention to that location. A large ornate letter (a drop-cap) - a blob of color - anything to tell the reader "Start reading here!"

vangogh
12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah I did realize the Mac comments were humor. Just letting you know how it might come across to some.

I'd definitely rethink the logo placement. Can you offer a reason for placing it on the right? People (in countries that read left to right) start in the top left corner when looking at a web page. Your logo is probably one of the most important things you want people to see when first landing on your site. Placing it to the right runs the risk of people not noticing it.

You probably don't want people visiting the site and being very close to convinced to hire you. Then they leave and can't remember that site they checked out. Also it's not as though you're using the top left for anything that needs to be in the top left. I would think placing the logo in the top left and having the navigation centered over the main content would work better.

501graphics
01-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I hope everyone has had a wonderful Holiday Season! Happy 2011 to everyone!

I have redesigned the site yet again. Some of you won't like the fact that I returned to a basic blue design, but I did retain a yellow contrast color. I wanted to utilize the current colors as well as the Little Rock skyline due to branding issues (I have some very expensive business cards that use the same shades of blue, as well as the skyline, but without any yellow). I have edited the copy somewhat and even moved my logo to the left! lol

Thanks again for all of the great comments you guys have given me! I greatly appreciate you all!

Again - have a GREAT New Year!!!

Blessed
01-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm liking it better - I do think the white text is hard to read - could you make it dark blue or black instead?

I'll take a few minutes to read through the copy later, right now I'm supposed to be doing other things :)

jamesray50
01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I like it.

vangogh
01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm liking it more too. I like the rollovers on the navigation links. I'm not sure the information adds all that much, but I still like it. I do agree with Jenn about the white text. There's not enough contrast with the background. I think a darker color would work better.

It looks like you're adding more content too. I'm not having that same feeling of thinking there's not enough content there. I haven't read through it all, of course. Definitely looks more like a full site though than it did originally.

KristineS
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
I have to agree with others who said the text needs to be some color other than white. The white text on the light background is hard to read.

I think the text is better. I can get a sense of why I would want to work with you and what to expect when I do.

501graphics
01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Great! I tried to utilize as many of your critiques as possible. The text looked bad in black. A dark blue might look better, but it's currently the rollover color for my links. What if I made the background darker to enhance the contrast with the white text?

Patrysha
01-06-2011, 02:10 AM
That's going to be hard on older eyes if you go with a white on dark. There's a good thread on the topic at Is white text on black background bad? Accessibility and Usability forum at WebmasterWorld (http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum116/48.htm)

vangogh
01-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I'll add that I recently finished reading a book by one of the most successful advertisers of the last century, David Ogilvy. In the book he mentions that time and time again black text on a white background outsells white text on a black background. Black on white offers the most contrast between text and background. Anything else is going to be harder to read and therefore harder to understand. I don't know that you always have to use the absolute darkest text (black) on the lightest background (white), but I'd be careful deviating too far from either.

I can't speak to how others will respond the to text/background combination, but I do know when I encounter light text on a dark background, I'm much less likely to stay and read the text.

Harold Mansfield
01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Not to get too sidetracked, but I've also noticed a trend lately to using lighter shades of grey text against white backgrounds.
I don't know how this got started, but it is equally disturbing and hard to read.
It doesn't have to be absolute black (as in #000000), but when we start making whole paragraphs ( that are supposed to be important) lighter and lighter text, it's a move in the wrong direction.