PDA

View Full Version : Google verify my site

jamesray50
11-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Why do I need Google to verify my site? The way it works for my website is to add a code to the meta tag field, but when I click on verify it is not working. In the support section, several people also had the same problem and I didn't see where anyone had answered with a fix for it. So what happens if it is not verified? Does it hurt my ranking with Google?

Harold Mansfield
11-27-2010, 01:43 AM
No it doesn't necessarily hurt you in any rankings that you may get, but without verification it will be difficult if not impossible to use other Google webmaster Tools. I don't know what to tell you about it not working on your site without knowing how that system is set up.

The way I have always done it is to add the file, and then submit a sitemap.
I suspect that if there are many people asking and there isn't any answers that there may not be one. They are aware of a possible problem, but don't have a way to fix it.

vangogh
11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Like Harold siad it won't hire your rankings. I assume the verification is something through Google Analytics or Webmaster Central. Google needs to know you're the actual site owner or someone allowed to see statistics on the site before they'll show you those stats. If you don't have access to add the meta tags then it stands to reason you don't have permission to see the stats.

I usually use the other verification option. The one to create a new file with a name that matches the string Google gives you.

n_touch
02-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Not sure why you are having problems, but without it they may not let you use analytics. I would just work with the different options that are there, you should get one to work. Like vangogh said, they just want to make sure that it is your site, or that you have permission to do work on that site.

vangogh
02-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Jo Ellen, did you ever get this working? Has Google verified your site?

Anthony
04-30-2011, 07:29 AM
I can understand that this issue can affect your website ranking also. There are one solution for that do one if meta tag is not working then you can download the HTML file from the Google analytic account and upload it on the root of the server and then verify i am sure this will definitely work for you.