PDA

View Full Version : A challenge for myself

orion_joel
09-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I was just reading This Post (http://www.small-business-forum.net/planning-your-business/341-down-economy-3.html#post4622) in the Down Economy thread and some kind of lightbulb went off in my head when i read this

Another great analogy that I think can be applied to the business world is an old Chinese proverb that says the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is right now.

It kind of got me thinking, maybe i need to set my self a sort of small business goal while i am stuck at home off work. I figure i have 5 full business days that i am going to be at home, and i should look to do something with my business, and make things happen, and as the quote while the best time would have been 2 years ago, the second best time is right now.

I was thinking along the lines of getting 1 sale or 1 new customer, or something, it isn't to big, but could provide a challenge that will get me motivated. What do you think, maybe any other idea's for my little 5 day challenge, I have about 32 hours to figure it out, so i look forward to your input.

KristineS
09-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I think that's a great idea Joel. It could be something as simple as developing a plan for going foward, or working on marketing yourself.

You're right, you're going to be at home so you might as well use the time productively.

vangogh
09-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I think it's a good idea too. I usually prefer not to set specific monetary goals for myself, but rather task specific goals. If there's something you've been wanting to do with the site, changes you want to make, etc. Or just like Kristine said you could use the time for creating a plan that takes you forward. As long as you remember that a plan only becomes useful once you act on it.

I agree that the best time to do something is right now.

mr.ro
09-15-2008, 10:26 AM
yeah I think you should use this time for setting up a plan that will take you forward in anything that you are currently lacking behind in. You have got me questioning myself i really need to be getting a steady flow of clients as well and I am currently just useing the word of mouth that works for me which is okay but it can be so much more if i set up more goals to get clients.

KristineS
09-15-2008, 12:11 PM
I think setting goals is so valuable. I know there are times when I say something kind of generic like "I really want to work on my blogs". Sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't. If, however, I say something specific like " I want to write two blog posts" I tend to accomplish the goal. Being specific just seems to work better.

vangogh
09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
When 2008 started I set myself some very specific long term goals and within each a variety of short term and task oriented goals to accomplish the long term ones.

It's amazing how much more productive I've been this year. I've had a road map in front of me and also some very specific tasks to work on to get there.