PDA

View Full Version : Computer Security

wperry
11-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Is there any interest in computer security for small business?

Patrysha
11-21-2010, 12:36 PM
That's a huge question. There is likely to be an interest that ranges from a mild "Yeah, I should get around to that" to a "OMG Yes I need help right now"...but success will depend on the details of the offer and how it compares to what they already have going on.

billbenson
11-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I would think you have an educational issue. You are going to need to educate people on why they need security and how bad their computer security really is.

wperry
11-21-2010, 01:32 PM
That's a huge question. There is likely to be an interest that ranges from a mild "Yeah, I should get around to that" to a "OMG Yes I need help right now"...but success will depend on the details of the offer and how it compares to what they already have going on.

You're right.

I didn't see that topic addressed when looking through the forum. Security risks are huge and I think you are correct - their is a range of interest from yawn to help.

:)

wperry
11-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I would think you have an educational issue. You are going to need to educate people on why they need security and how bad their computer security really is.

Yep. Do you think that someone could be successful with an on-line business doing precisely that?

Harold Mansfield
11-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Individual computer security? No. Most people trust the password system with both their main computer and wireless set up and there are plenty of add on products from removable hard drives to biometric scanners to enhance home of small office security.

Network security? Maybe. For larger businesses and multiple computer networks.

billbenson
11-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Yep. Do you think that someone could be successful with an on-line business doing precisely that?

I really don't see how you can do it online unless your target companies that already see then need and they won't see the need until some security problems occur. I bet a large percentage of small business don't ever have security set up on their wireless networks. That would be pretty easy to check. Take a laptop with you and drive around some office parks looking for open networks.

What sort of business model are you thinking about?

cbscreative
11-22-2010, 11:03 AM
We recently had a quote in a thread here that said, "People won't spend a nickel to prevent anything, but they'll empty their pockets for a cure." I don't remember who originally said that, but this will for sure be your biggest obstacle because the expression is very true.

I know a lot about computer security and I firmly believe that small businesses desperately need it because so many (maybe most) are flirting with disaster. To sound the alarm means risking their perception you are using scare tactics. Probably your biggest challenge will be educating people without them blowing you off because they don't want to be "sold."

If you could position yourself somehow where they've taken the fall and are finally ready to listen so it doesn't happen again, then your message will fall on less deaf ears.

To illustrate the importance of your marketing approach, let me share something I found very interesting when I did some checking a few years ago. Because it was so long ago, I don't remember the numbers, but I can illustrate the principle. I did some keyword research on computer disasters. When you research "prevention" there is almost no one looking (I think it was single digit numbers, but i know it was extremely low). When you research "recovery" the numbers are through the roof.

Bottom line, almost no one seeks to prevent it from happening, but you can almost feel the panic when you discover how they are desperately searching for a solution after they experience the thing they thought would never happen. Those numbers also reveal how many people are experiencing a computer disaster. When it's a business, the stats tell us 80% go out of business. Your service is very, very needed. The downside is, very few want to hear it.

That's not to discourage you, you just need to know it in advance so you can plan your marketing accordingly.

KristineS
11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I think there is definitely interest, particularly when it comes to managing payments and credit card numbers.

wperry
11-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Interesting.

Do you think that individuals are aware of open ports or malicious software that is embedded in attachments?

wperry
11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Steve I think you nailed it. You can talk about computer security but unless the listener has experienced a breach the buy-in is weak.

I've seen businesses lose their shirts where an ounce of prevention could have stopped it.

Just around the corner is some heavy duty regulation such as the security rule (ePHI) under HIPPA.

wperry
11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
I was thinking of several. One being basic on-line instruction for employees. Another was through publishing on the web and monetizing. Still it looks like a hard row to hoe. Ring-tones, whitening your teeth, get your ex-wife back and other silliness seems to have the volume.

Spider
11-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Could you offer free ring-tones for every employee if the company secures their system through you? Free teeth-whitening for every member of the IT department?!

I dunno - some strange things happen in marketing.

wperry
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I love it! ;)