PDA

View Full Version : Facebook launches messaging service

Harold Mansfield
11-15-2010, 07:06 PM
The new service, which will provide users with an "@facebook.com" email address, is designed to meld email, instant messaging and SMS text messages so that users can manage their communications through a single inbox.

Read more: Facebook Unveils Messaging Service - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703326204575616672123580274.html#i xzz15Oodd3Nu)

vangogh
11-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Here's the official announcement from Facebook (http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=452288242130). One thing I found funny in the announcement is:

You shouldn't have to remember who prefers IM over email or worry about which technology to use.

You still have to remember who's using Facebook though won't you. They say it as though everyone on the planet has and uses a Facebook account. A lot of people do, but it's still not everyone. I also assume to use messages both parties would need to be logged into Facebook so you need to know that too.

It makes complete sense for them to do this. Quite honestly it makes more sense to have a site like Facebook deliver you email and instant messaging than it does a search engine like Google. Facebook is built around the idea of communication after all.

Not that I have any plans on getting a Facebook email address or using messages. I suppose if I wanted a new email address and they offered pop3 or imap so I could get the email in my email client of choice I might. Don't need one now though and I suspect you'll always need to visit the site. As for messages I can already send instant messages to the people I want to chat with and don't need or want another way.

One question just occurred to me. Will there be a way to block some people from contacting you via messages? Or does this mean that all my hundreds of Facebook friends who I barely know will be sending me messages throughout the day? I do hope Facebook lets you have a lot of control over who can and can't communicate with you via messages. If they don't it's going to mean a lot of people getting dropped as friends, which I would think counter to what Facebook would like to achieve.

KristineS
11-16-2010, 04:18 PM
One question just occurred to me. Will there be a way to block some people from contacting you via messages? Or does this mean that all my hundreds of Facebook friends who I barely know will be sending me messages throughout the day? I do hope Facebook lets you have a lot of control over who can and can't communicate with you via messages. If they don't it's going to mean a lot of people getting dropped as friends, which I would think counter to what Facebook would like to achieve.

Oooh, I didn't think of that. I don't like the thought of that at all. Historically, Facebook hasn't been real great with the privacy controls. It will be interesting to see how soon this issue comes up and how it's handled.

jamesray50
11-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Will everyone actually switch email accounts because there is a new provider? I'm not. I don't want to have to change my email address. Then I would have to notify all my friends of my new address. That is as bad as physically moving and notifying everyone that you have moved. But I am of the older generation and I guess I don't like change as much as the younger ones do.

Harold Mansfield
11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
I may use it for something, but the last thing I need is another email address. I can barely remember what each of the ones I use now are for.

vangogh
11-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I've been reading a lot about this the last few days. I still think it makes sense for Facebook, but by no means is this going to kill gmail or any of the other things people are saying about it. It's mostly something to improve internal messaging at Facebook and I can see how there are some pros and cons.

If your communication is mostly a quick and short back and forth between friends this will probably be good. It will let you keep the conversation going as you move from device to device. If your communication is more meaningful or for businesses you probably aren't going to care for this.

It seems like Facebook will give you some level of control over who can or can't message you, but the control isn't granular for each person. Supposedly the messages you receive will be grouped so that the messages you want will be at the top and together, however I've yet to see an automated system that does that well. It wouldn't surprise me if as a result of messaging you see more people dropping friends who aren't really friends in the real world sense. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe Facebook will add a new group for acquaintances.

Basically it seems like if your communication is mostly a quick back and forth and your friends and Facebook are really your friends, you'll probably like the new messaging. For everyone else it'll probably be a bug yawn.

KristineS
11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm just waiting for the first business on Facebook to figure out how to use the service to spam all their fans. You know it will happen.

greenoak
11-18-2010, 08:23 AM
we have 4 email addresses now...im sure we wont be joining....but i dont text or im...
ann