PDA

View Full Version : 911 Salute

cbscreative
09-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Many of you may not know this, but I live about a mile from the Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, MI. Today, people from all over the area gathered there for an annual event to salute our fallen heroes of 9-11. This event is put on by local police and firefighters, and is enthusiastically supported by the local Boy Scouts. It lasts the entire day today and anyone wishing to participate salutes to the flag at half mast for 3 minutes (you can take as many 3 minute shifts as you want, but the idea is that someone is saluting at every moment throughout the day).

My son is in a troop which is part of the Gerald R. Ford Council, named after our 38th President since he was a Boy Scout here in his youth.

I've posted a picture in my Album (http://www.small-business-forum.net/members/cbscreative-albums-gerald-r-ford-museum-9-11.html) of my profile page, and later, I will post some more pictures. In the picture I have posted, I am on the end, and my son is in the middle of the group who was saluting at the time. I also have a picture of Pres. Ford's grave site which is located on the grounds of the museum.

KristineS
09-11-2008, 09:03 PM
That's a very cool thing to do on this day, Steve. It must be a sight to see all those people saluting in their turn.

I was at the Gerald Ford museum once some years ago. It was an interesting place.

cbscreative
09-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Yes, it was a sight to see all those who participated. I was there during a less busy time, from about 11 am to 12:30 or so. I missed the early morning kickoff, but I was told about it by other who were in attendance.

One thing while I was there that was really cool was the lineup of Boy Scout moms who sang the National Anthem during their salute. If I had known they were going to do that, I would have wanted to do video, but it didn't make much sense to try to get it after they started. I do have stills though, but it's not quite the same.

As you may have noticed, I did add some more images since I posted above.

thehunterswife
09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
What a very nice tribute.

cbscreative
09-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Time to bump this thread, we did it again for 2009 and I added a new Album (http://www.small-business-forum.net/members/cbscreative-albums.html) showing a taller son of mine and a thinner me.

Blessed
09-12-2009, 12:38 AM
These kinds of tributes are important. They help us remember - and that is so very important.