PDA

View Full Version : Awesome website review tool

SiteSciences
11-13-2010, 08:23 PM
There are several posts on reviewing websites here. I came across ClueApp (http://www.clueapp.com), a free tool that will help you gain valuable feedback. It's been helpful for me, so I'm passing it along.

try it out and post the link here the next time you're looking for reviews!

Business Attorney
11-14-2010, 10:24 AM
It looks interesting. Did enough people look at the sites you posted on ClueApp to give you a broad picture of what they remembered about the sites?

vangogh
11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
It does look interesting. I've seen some other sites that offer a kind of user testing in some way or another, but I don't think I've quite seen it work the way Clue seems to work. I'm also curious to hear about some of the results you've gotten using it. it would seem to me the value of the results will depend on how well you create the test. Do you find that to be the case?

Patrysha
11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Well I played with it...I didn't want to do anything too public because my site is waaaay overdue for a comprehensive revamp, but I wanted to see how it worked and did get a couple of views. Basically all it will tell you is what words stand out most to the viewer. The preview period is very short like five seconds or something (didn't actually count...it was fast). There didn't appear to be more than that you could test so there's no real creation involved. Would be great for those looking to answer the question for themselves whether the main message they are trying to get across is evident at first glance and connecting for the viewer in the first viewing of the page.

vangogh
11-17-2010, 10:35 PM
So not so much questions about the design like did you remember seeing a button and more did you remember reading this word? I guess that can still be useful. Maybe see if people can remember the headline of your page or your tagline or best yet your company name.

SiteSciences
11-25-2010, 07:26 PM
To answer some of the questions above:

1. Volume definitely improves usable feedback. For the ClueApp basic test (remembering page content) you can still get some insights based on 20 or 30 responses, however 100+ is ideal.

A way to get a lot of people to your test page would be posting it to Facebook, Twitter (some creative hash-tags can draw a lot of response), and forums such as this. This way you're likely to get a wide range of people/demographics/experiences levels, etc.

2. Test creation definitely impacts results. Kind of like the scientific method is useless if you're testing the wrong things! However, with most of the tests they provide, such as the "which design do you prefer" and the memory test, it's doesn't take much setup on our end -- pretty quick and easy.

Additionally: ClueApp is the free version to a suite of testing tools, which provides a lot of additional options and test types, and they've all been pretty useful.

vangogh
11-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info. I know there are a few other sites online offering pretty much the same kind of testing. Where I think one site might be able to differentiate itself is by being able to supply some or most of the test subjects. Seems to me that's the more difficult aspect of this kind of testing.