PDA

View Full Version : Link Building Tips for Small Businesses and Personal Blogs

vangogh
11-12-2010, 02:23 AM
I came across a good post on SEOmoz tonight, Link Building Tips for Personal Blogs (http://www.seomoz.org/blog/link-building-tips-for-personal-blogs), which offers some great tips for building links to anyone who isn't a large company with a huge budget.

These are things anyone can do in a little bit of time each week. You don't need a big budget to hire someone to do the work. These aren't complicated things that you can't understand how to do. These are mainly simple things that only require an investment of time and effort. How much time and effort is up to you, but naturally the more you ut in, the more you get back.

For those of you who don't know how to get links or where to get them from, here's a good place to start.

greenoak
11-12-2010, 08:10 PM
thanks vg....i might try harder to find directories..

vangogh
11-14-2010, 03:11 PM
It's not too hard to do, though it's also not the most exciting thing to do either. I find it easiest to do a little at a time consistently over a few weeks or months. Know that directories are not going to be the greatest links you can get, but they're generally easy enough to get. Don't submit to directories that require a link back and look for the most appropriate category for your site. Don't expect great results, but you'll probably see some small gains.

KristineS
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Good tips! I'm proud to say I already do some of them, but there are a few I could try. I also think the one about a well maintained blogroll is a good one, and it's something a lot of people neglect.

jbeidler
11-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I've heard that directories are still a good foundation for a link-building campaign, but I haven't done a lot of it because I find it terribly boring. Everyone's different, though...

Spider
11-17-2010, 09:29 PM
What's a blog roll? Nothing to do with a sausage roll, is it?

vangogh
11-17-2010, 10:40 PM
It's more like a sushi roll :)

When a blog has a series of links in the sidebar pointing to other blogs it's called a blogroll. I'm not sure if WordPress created the term, but it's a built in part of WordPress. It probably existed before WP though. I'm guessing it comes from the term roll call.

You don't see them quite as much anymore, though early on when blogging became prominent everyone would list some or all of the other blogs they read by linking to them in the sidebar. It was a way blogs connected to each other. Some blogs still use them. Fewer use them well.

KristineS
11-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Blog rolls are a nice way to build community among bloggers who deal with similar subject matter. I have them on all my blogs although some are more extensive than others. I manage my blogroll pretty closely though. If you don't update often or offer good content, you don't stay on the blogroll.