PDA

View Full Version : Making Online Website as a Business

phantom
11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi:

I have recently started my new company and our main focus is building "websites" for clients who wish to sell products online. Usually we start from a blank website (no content at all) up till the website is completely finished, fully functional as a business.
We have a group of programmers who write the codings for building the website.

My business is based in Austin, Texas. My business is still under Sole Proprietorship and I would like to know what other structures are recommended for this type of business.
We have less than 10 employees right now.

I was thinking of either LP or LLC.
A second partner might be possible if the structure requires it.

Please let me know what you guys think and I really appreciate any advice.

vangogh
11-09-2010, 02:30 AM
I think you could certainly run as a sole proprietor even with the number of employees you have. I think the next most logical step would be an LLC. I wouldn't bring on a partner just because you're thinking of changing the business structure. Take on a partner because you think that person would be valuable as a partner. If you do have someone in mind to be a partner because of the value that person adds then some form of partnership makes sense. If not I think an LLC will likely make more sense (assuming you don't want to stay as a sole proprietorship).

Two other choices are to form an S-Corp or C-Corp, but I would think an LLC makes more sense for your situation.