PDA

View Full Version : Networking Groups.

ParaTed2k
10-31-2010, 10:02 PM
When I got into my own business, I heard and read about the importance of joining neworking groups. So I found one that didn't already have a Sendout Cards distributor and joined up. I do enjoy the weekly meetings, and have made a few friends there. I have made referrals when I can, and I think I participate well.

However, referrals haven't come to me very often. People love the cards, and the service, and they often tell me how much their business could benefit from Sendout Cards. However, that hasn't translated to people actually joining.

At this point, I seriously wonder if I'll bother renewing my membership after my initial year.

I also wonder if this is just me, just my current group, or if others are having the same experience?

What are your thoughts on networking groups?

Patrysha
10-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Some are better than others...unfortunately it can take a long time to nurture referals in some groups and in others you get instant results but you never know until you try them.

ParaTed2k
10-31-2010, 11:13 PM
True, and I'm not giving up on anything yet. I mean, there's no reason to quit going as long as I've paid for the year and I'm enjoying it anyway.

Steve B
11-01-2010, 05:36 AM
I'm not a big fan of networking groups that you have to pay for. But, if you've already paid you might as well keep going. It may just be that people want to be sure you're not a fly-by-night company. Only time will show them you're in it for the long run.

Harold Mansfield
11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
If you enjoy the people in it, I'd stick around. Networking groups can be a source of new business but more than that, if you are in a group that discusses business issues, you an learn a lot about different aspects of running your business, bounce ideas off of each other, etc.
I would think that there would be more opportunity for referrals from the members than actual business from them directly. I'd probably work that angle a little more.

Spider
11-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Sadly, few people (at least, few people in the groups I attend) really understand how to benefit from networking and referrals. The common approach is 1) to try and get business from members of the group, and 2) see how many referrals one can get. Rarely is any attention paid to how many referals you can give.

If everyone is taking out and no-one putting in, the jar becomes empty very quickly.

Every time you refer someone to a business, you are giving that business your stamp of approval. If that business isn't any good, you get a black eye. So, people are reluctant to refer their friends and especially their clients to a business they don't know. But that isn't what networking is about.

Networking is about getting to know other people, finding ways to help them other than giving them leads, introducing them to fellow business owners with whom they can do business - joint venture some advertising, complement each others' services, tell them of seminars and trade shows that will benefit them, and so on. The more you do to help someone else, the sooner they regard you as a great person to do business with and the sooner they will feel comfortable referring you.

If all you do at your networking meeting is swap leads, I'd say quit and find a real business networking group and work it. It really depends on you, not on the group. A good networker can do well in any group of people.

ParaTed2k
11-02-2010, 04:48 AM
Spider, thanks for the attitude adjustment!

Spider
11-02-2010, 11:06 AM
You're welcome.f you want to take it further, I recommend a book called "Work a Room." The one I have is probably out of print now but there's sure to be updates or revised versions at Amazon.

ParaTed2k
11-02-2010, 01:15 PM
You're welcome.f you want to take it further, I recommend a book called "Work a Room." The one I have is probably out of print now but there's sure to be updates or revised versions at Amazon.

Thanks for that recommendation too!. The irony is, I started out a lot like that. When I talked to other members, I made sure we talked about their business more than I talked about mine. I wanted to learn what they did and how they did it so I could make recommendations on how my business could help their's grow. Somewhere along the line, I lost sight of that.

I'll look for that book!

Harold Mansfield
11-02-2010, 01:24 PM
It's easy to lose sight when you need to make some money. Networking takes time and patience. You almost have to not expect anything out of it financially in order to truly benefit from it.

KristineS
11-03-2010, 03:11 PM
The biggest thing I've learned about networking is something similar to what Frederick said, you have to be there for the connection, not for what you can get out of it. That applies whether it's a bunch of humans in the same room, or a bunch of humans on Facebook or Twitter. The minute it becomes all about you, your needs or your business, you've lost your audience and your chance to make connections that could be beneficial. Any kind of networking is usually about playing the long game. You have to look at it like you're planting seeds for trees that might sprout long after you've moved on.

Spider
11-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Classic example happening right now. On Monday last, I went to a networking event. I was known to some of those present but at least 8 of the 12 people present were new to me. At one brief spell, I was holding court because the conversation had gotten around to employing people and profit-sharing. This, I believe, is one of the main reasons for the success of my past business. At no point did it come up about what I do now - business coaching. I thought to offer my business card around at that moment but chose not to. The conversation moved on, I started takling one-on-one with the person next to me - about her business (dermitology), my wife's business (dogs), and this person's love for horses. Again, my business was not mentioned.

I have just, this afternoon, received an e-mail from this person to an e-mail address that is only displayed on my website, and judging by the message, she read at least some portions of my website. She learned about me willingly and by her own volition. I believe that gives the information she garnered far more impact and is more likely to lead to a business relationship than if I had tried to sell her at the meeting.

What is more - and this is the whole point of a networking group, for me - she is now part of my network. I know a little of her, she knows something about me, we have a relationship, and I am more likely to refer her than any other person I met that night. And I believe she is more likely to refer me.

huggytree
11-09-2010, 09:02 PM
networking should be all about getting leads for other people...when they feel they OWE you one you'll be suprised how quickly a lead can come in return.....if your not getting leads look in the mirror....how many of those people have you given leads to?

ive been in 2 networking groups.

I was in BNI for 2.5 years (just quit 2 weeks ago)...Originally i got 15 percent of my sales from my group....i tried to use everyone i could even when it cost me extra money and even when the quality wasnt as good as i could get elsewhere...if i needed something printed i used our groups printer (even though he wasnt good). When i needed flowers i used our florist (even though she was 50 percent more expensive)....keep everything in the group...I quit the group because people were NOT giving me the leads back...Id use them, but they would find a cheaper Plumber in return. Our group got too many members who were just bad(poor quality/service)...the group started getting members who were all about being the lowest price..since im not the lowest price plumber they didnt refer me.....my sales for the past year were down to 3 percent ....it wasnt worth the 1 hour drive time and the 1.5 hours of the meeting...

the 2nd group was BRG...there werent any businesses that i could refer to other than an electrician...i gave him 3 leads, never got 1 in return from him (even though he's 20x larger than me)...so i dropped out after 6 months...

networking groups are great for learning how to network...my business is all about networking...i have 50 business people who refer people to me...when i get a lead from them i always call to thank them...if it turns into a large job i send them a gift certificate for $100 to a high end restaurant.....getting them a lead in return is always best, but giving them something is necessary....i want to reward them somehow....a thank you is the minimum.....

Spider
11-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Well, the last two posts describe two very different ways to network - both work, obviously -- and the good part is, we can do both.

ParaTed2k
03-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave me input here! 6 months later, I am happy to announce that I do intend on renewing my membership in the Greater Ozaukee Networking Group. They are a great bunch of entrepreneurs and I've learned so much from them! I'm glad I stuck it out!

jamesray50
03-31-2011, 11:25 PM
I've been thinking about joining the local Chamber of Commerce. Have any of you belonged to them and what are your experiences with them?

Patrysha
04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Chambers really vary depending on the membership...the one in the town I live in was a backstabbing batch of people who would suck out your work and talent if you let them and spit you out just for fun...the ones in two neighbouring towns are awesome, active and helpful.