PDA

View Full Version : The rebranding and re-launching of My Space

Harold Mansfield
10-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm sure we all remember My Space. Once the worlds hottest Social Networking platform. Some say the granddaddy of them all which actually started everything.

If we remember My Space, we also know that it has taken a beating and is barely spoken of anymore for many reasons.

I found this article in website magazine that I thought would be of interest. It seems that My space has finally decided not to continue dying the slow death that we have all been watching since it was purchased by Viacom:

That happened, in part, because of the customization factor with Myspace. Backgrounds became loaded with flashing and animated elements, content was shuffled, code was mangled and the site became sluggish and just plain ugly. The atmosphere took on the feel of an online red-light district - anything goes, there was little to no policing of content and spam was running rampant. The site lacked focus. Or, to borrow a favorite expression, the inmates were running the asylum. What was Myspace? Was it a social network? An entertainment portal?

It took time for Myspace to wake up. Perhaps too much time. But, this new iteration of the website has dusted off old criticisms and revamped a once industry-leading brand. Where Facebook is clean (almost dull these days) and focused squarely on interaction and making friends, the new Myspace is all about delivering bright, vibrant and viral content, where and how their users want it.
The All-new Myspace a Model of Rebranding - Website Magazine - Website Magazine (http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blogs/posts/archive/2010/10/29/the-all-new-myspace-a-model-of-rebranding.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter)

Patrysha
10-29-2010, 04:37 PM
I've been reading a fair bit of stuff on MySpace in the last couple of days...the way it was described as online red light district is apt. Creepy, creepy place...

vangogh
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I just visited the site briefly and it does look a lot nicer. It might be too little too late at this point with everyone on Facebook. Not to say people couldn't or wouldn't migrate back, but MySpace should have made these changes years ago. They can still be a dominant network within the music niche or some other niche, but I'm not thinking they'll be back to competing with Facebook any time soon unless Facebook really drops the ball.

Harold Mansfield
11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
I think that is the direction that they are going to, being that My space is owned by Viacom who also owns MTV, BET, Nickelodeon, VH1, Rhapsody, Spike, Comedy Central, Paramount Pictures and a bunch of other entertainment brands.

I don't think they can ever be a Personal and Business Social Network like Facebook ever again, but they do have a great opportunity to be an Entertainment portal with social connectivity similar to what Apple is trying to do with Ping. They actually have an opportunity to be the biggest since they clearly have more content to present.

KristineS
11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Never did anything with MySpace or even knew anything about it. I had heard that it was getting a bad reputation and that a lot of people were shying away, parents moving their kids over to Facebook etc.

I think they could have a shot as an entertainment portal since there really isn't anything out there right now in that vein. Being owned by Viacom also gives them a huge boost when it comes to content, so that should help. It will be interesting to see what happens with this. It's also a very instructive lesson about the perils of believing you will always be the new big thing. I think MySpace rested on its laurels for too long and as a result they now have to scramble to rebrand.

vangogh
11-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Harold I think that's the niche they would have to pursue to become relevant again and I do think they have that opportunity. The problem for them is that other networks also have similar opportunities. Take Ping. Now I don't think Apple has really put all that much into it and I doubt as it it's going to amount to much. But given how much music flows through iTunes they probably could build something out of Ping and compete well against MySpace. I don't see that happening any time soon, but the possibility is there.

Unfortunately for MySpace they let their lead slip and let their brand take too many hits. Had they done what they're doing now a few years ago they likely would still be on par with Facebook and they likely would be able to dominate certain social niches like entertainment. They're probably still the leader in the entertainment communities, but the changes their making may be too late to hold off other competitors in the space.