PDA

View Full Version : What computer to buy?

billbenson
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm trying to gather info to buy a new pc. I probably won't buy one until Mar / Apr of next year. I do a lot of resource intensive stuff. Not gaming, but this could apply to gamers as well. I'll post my main questions and answers below them:

Dual processor chips vs quad?

Quad, but a dual could actually be faster if it has a higher clock speed.

64 bit vs 32 bit architecture: I was worried about software support among other issues:

All 64 bit processors emulate 32 bit if you have a 32 bit os. I believe vista has a 32 and 64 bit version, but am not sure. Linux is 64 bit. If its a 32 bit OS, you have no benefit from a 64 bit processor.

32 bit systems only support up to 4G of ram. 64, 8G and beyond.

For those that don't know, a 64 bit system is not just twice as fast as 32. It's 2 to the 32nd power vs 2 to the 64th power. Literally billions times faster. There are certainly other things in the motherboard / processor that will ultimately limit speed, but not the buss architecture.

------------------------------------

Right now, I think I will buy a 64 bit clone system, 8G of ram, and install a dual boot Windows and Linux. From what I have been able to find, just about everything I need is available for Linux and most of it is free.

This is way overkill for most people here, but anybody doing resource intensive web stuff, there appear to be a lot of options. I might put RAID 1 in there for backup.

The funny thing is, if you either build it yourself or go to a decent clone shop, it's not much more than a basic dell dude. I'm budgeting $1600 or so. The motherboard and CPU are going to be $600 ish. after that its just what case, PS, HD's etc you want. Oh, and 8G of ram, haven't priced that yet.

Oh, I'm going to stick with Intel, not AMD. AMD is getting better though. The only thing I currently use that doesn't work on AMD is a windows install of php mysql apache. Might work under Linux, I don't know.

BillR
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
You could always buy a 64-bit higher end processor/MB/RAM and buy the Microsoft VM applications and create separate Virtual machines on the on machine. On each of those you can install any OS.

billbenson
09-10-2008, 12:47 PM
What would that buy me over just a dual boot machine Bill?

orion_joel
09-11-2008, 12:41 AM
That would allow you to swap from windows to linux in seconds. You have them running side by side, and it is just like switching from Outlook to Internet Explorer.

billbenson
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Thats what I thought when I read the description.

Anybody know if there are any issues running win 2k on a 64 bit machine? I've heard both yes and no on that one.

orion_joel
09-13-2008, 09:16 AM
I am struggling to remember if there was a 64 bit version of 2K or not, i think if it was to work it may bring the system back to 32bit, if there is no 64 bit version or option.

billbenson
09-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I've been told that all 64 bit processors emulate 32 bit, if the OS isn't 64. That came from a PHD in Computer Science. Problem is sometimes a good computer tech with a high school degree may give better advice from a practical standpoint.

For example, if I use Linux which is 64, you will run faster because the OS is doing the fetches from RAM. Still, will you see noticible improvements in other applications running under the OS? Do they need to be 64 bit programs as well or is the OS the only gating item?

orion_joel
09-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately, i dont even have the high school degree, but i think that the actual education may not be much of a gauge for ability with computers. You can have someone that has done every piece of education for a computer topic who from a practical standpoint does not know how to do something and someone with no education on the topic knows it better then the educated. However that is besides the point, i dont think i have the best grounding in computers really.

In regards to 64-bit stuff, i don't really know to much but there has been a bit i have read about compatibility with other program's, However the majority of this i think is on the Windows side of the fence, i would think that with linux being a 64bit OS mostly the applications should be best built to take advantage of this.