PDA

View Full Version : so rude....

greenoak
10-24-2010, 09:15 AM
we had a really old guy in the store yesterday, going on and on , loudly ranting about rush limbaugh , he was a huge fan and also was talking about hoping a plane load of aclu people would crash... ....it was so out of place..nobody asked him his opinion .......why would they think that was ok in public.....
its still a free country and we can have different views..but dang!!!
i was offended and could have said a whole lot... and almost took his free cookie and coffee away from him...but no, i kept my mouth shut...

Blessed
10-24-2010, 05:35 PM
unfortunately the urge to share one's opinions with the world sometimes overwhelms the norms of acceptable social interaction amongst strangers, friends, associates and family.

I don't enjoy being in situations like the one you described above - hopefully those occurrences are rare in your store!

greenoak
10-24-2010, 07:55 PM
it doesnt happen too often...thankfully....i do have some older southern man customers who will rail against obama and throw around the n word like they were home... and old ww2 guys who still say japs....its bad...and kind of wierd when its a person i really like and know...and then they come out with their little horrors...and they really mean it too...

Blessed
10-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I know what you mean Ann - I have some extended family members that I have a hard time being around because of things like that - it really is unpleasant.

huggytree
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
something ive noticed is liberal and conservatives are growing farther apart.....there is no longer any possibility of middle ground

i cant see the other point of view anymore...its only going to get worse i fear....the left is going farther left and the right is 'attempting' to go right

your seeing some signs of frustration.....right now 51percent is telling the other 49percent what to do......your customer was just speaking out...you should have shushed him.. he can say what he wants i guess, but it shouldnt be an announcement in your shop....anytime someone says something like that 50 percent will smile and 50 percent will be offended.

tell the customer to keep his loud comments to himself

as far as your political views....keep them quite.......politics dont belong in your business...keep them at home...i work for anyone who can afford to pay me...i make no political , lifestyle or race choices.....i do refuse some neighborhoods, but thats my only no go.........you should have given him a few more cookies to stuff in his mouth to shut him up..

greenoak
10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
so true huggy...it shouldnt be in the store.... not from me either.... my son and i are on opposite sides so i hear you on the split.... its pretty sad...
i sure can see why you would stay out of some neighborhoods....

Spider
10-25-2010, 09:22 AM
"Excuse me, Sir. Come - I want to show you something..." Lead him out the front door.

"There!"

"What? What did you want to show me?"

"I wanted to show you the door. I don't like the things you were saying in my store. You are quite entitled to your opinion, and I am quite entitled to choose what opinions are expressed in my store. If you want to buy something, I will happily serve you, but I do not wish to listen to the things you were saying. Have a nice day!"

nealrm
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Ann - You stated the gentleman was "Really old", is it possible that he didn't know he was being that loud. It very well could be that he is hard of hearing and speaks loud because of that. And while you may not like his views or comments, if they were not be yelled out they could be toleranted. Next time try "excuse me sir, your voice in carrying". It might resolve the situation.

For those using the n words try - "Pardon me, but a lady is present". More often the languange is a matter of habit than anything more. I bet they don't even know they are saying it. So unless you speak up they will continue to speak in that manner.

billbenson
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
An elderly man? He might not be firing on all cylinders. Beyond that I have observed that upbringing, intelligence, being around people with a strong influence affects that. The thing is you don't want him in your store, so Spiders option seems the best.

Steve B
10-25-2010, 04:28 PM
I liked Spider's option.

Why make excuses for this kind of language and behavior. Really, does anyone really think using the "n" word is excused because it's a habit?

greenoak
10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
no ...thats so wrong...unless you are a rapper..haha.... and the guy is a long time buddy and has spent $1000SSS with me over the last 20 yrs...hes about 70 yrs old and from alabama... so its hopeless i guess... hes nice otherwise...if you are the right color...
if something political like the old guy happpens again im going with spiders thing.....

nealrm
10-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't agree that Spider's suggestion is initially the best way to proceed. Starting with a low key response is more likely to succeed. If the low key approach does not work, then move up to a more direct approach. It is possible that nothing will work and you will need to through him out. But that should be a last choice. A confrontational approach is more likely to cause the person to react negatively.

greenoak
10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
you are probably right........ at least i plan to say SOMETHING..

huggytree
10-25-2010, 08:03 PM
my father is in his 70's and gets loud and obnoxious just like your customer...i think its probably because he's old and doesnt care...he wants people to hear his political views...he offends some relatives....since i agree with him i dont mind though..

what do you think about political stickers and signs at your business???

i have tons of friends in construction who have political bumper stickers...i warn them all...i had a NRA sticker on my work van and someone tore it off...i havent replaced it....i dont want to offend anyone

Spider
10-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes, I agree, a non-confrontational approach is best. The trouble with trying it inside the store is the person might turn it into a confrontation, especially if he is being purposely nasty and is waiting for someone to take him up on it. Then there's no getting rid of him without calling the police. By walking him outside - using a non-confrontational subterfuge - he can start compaining all he wants - you just walk away. If he follows you back into the store, you can call the police immediately without hesitation.

But such things never go according to plan and one must play it by ear!

billbenson
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Spiders option was getting them out the door without making a bigger show than already had happened. Thats what I'm agreeing with.

Steve B
10-26-2010, 06:26 AM
I'd be O.K. with some confrontation on that one. Actually, I'd look forward to it.

I agree with HT - I go out of my way to keep politics (and religion) out of my business and personal life. My wife doesn't even know my politics.

ParaTed2k
10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
This goes back to when parents tell kids, "as long as you're under MY roof..." Contrary to popular belief, a store or restaurant may be open to the public, but it is still the property of the owner (or under the rules of the management). If one or two customers are making the place uncomfortable for the other customers (or even the employees), it is the responsibility of the owner (or manager) to fix the problem.

Of course, there are better ways of handling such situations than others. However, if they hit you with the "I know my rights" crap, then you remind them, "as long as you are under MY roof..."

Spider
10-26-2010, 11:38 PM
If my memory serves, I believe the right to free speech is only - the government shall not restrict. I believe we can (constitutionally, anyway) restrict each others free speech. As Ted points out, the right to free speech is not universal.

billbenson
10-27-2010, 12:35 AM
When I worked security for Sears years ago, we used to be able to arrest people for trespassing in situations like this. I think we had to warn them first or there was at least some protocol to doing it. I do remember some high school kit that was trying to be a big shot with us and loudly saying he was going to steal from the store. We told him to leave or be charged with trespassing. He didn't stop and we arrested him. Thats 35 years ago though. Don't know if things have changed.

Harold Mansfield
10-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a lot of experience dealing with people of differing opinions and having to calm the situation, including breaking up fights, and domestic arguments. It's even tougher when people are drunk. Most times you can quietly ask people to refrain from disrupting the other customers. when that doesn't work, you have to throw them out.
It's all in how you handle it.
I've had to throw out some knock down drunk, racists in the past, and received applause for handling it with maturely. Sometimes a public situation like that can be a great time to shine in the eyes of your other customers.

greenoak
10-28-2010, 09:09 AM
kind of like the diplomatic drivers on taxi cab confessions? thats where ive gotten my impressions of las vegas...ha ha... your world is so interesting.... i dont have to deal with drunks anyway....so far!!.

Harold Mansfield
10-28-2010, 11:35 AM
kind of like the diplomatic drivers on taxi cab confessions? thats where ive gotten my impressions of las vegas...ha ha... your world is so interesting.... i dont have to deal with drunks anyway....so far!!.

Las Vegas is a fun, interesting place, but just like anything else on T.V., it's sensationalized. I don't work in the Hospitality Industry anymore, but after so many years in the business you never forget your people skills.