PDA

View Full Version : New Pool and Spa Care business

Poolboy
10-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Hello, I am in the process of starting up a Pool and Spa Care business from scratch. This year's pool season is at its end so I am focusing on breaking out during the new season in the spring. Right now I am in the process of getting vendors for the Pool Chemicals and Accessories I will be selling.

Most of my business will be service oriented, but for those of you that have pools know, there are a lot of chemicals and accessories that will need to be used to keep a great looking pool. I have received a resale permit and am looking to start with marketing during the off season. Any suggestions for compiling a customer base over the off season? I will have my business cards next week, and plan to place an ad in the paper. I also plan to visit every hotel with a swimming pool in the surrounding area. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I will also add that there is only one company that offers these types of services in the city I plan to service so tips on being competitive would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Steve B
10-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Welcome Poolboy. I'm always glad to see a new member that is service oriented and operates only locally. I'll have a fair amount in common with you and hope to help you if I can.

I don't have any huge tips - other than it will take several contacts before people start recognizing your name. So, your first several marketing attempts will seem like they are wasted, but you'll be building some name recognition that may pay off later. Your local newspaper will probably be willing to do a free story on you as a new business - one time. I would time it for the spring so you can take full advantage of it. You should probably write a press release at that time also. I would use the winter to do LOTS of research. Perhaps you can even drive around and write down the addresses every time you see a pool.

Build a nice website - or have one built for you (I know a good web guy - the Moderator of this forum - Vangogh). Visit my website and see if you like what he can do (Electronic Pet Containment for your Dog in Louisville, KY | Derby's Pet Fence (http://www.DerbysFence.com)).

Find out as much as you can about your competitor. Find out their weaknesses and differentiate yourself from them.

Find some complimentary businesses that you can network with (Landscapers, builders, etc.)

I hope you have another source of income for the next year or three while you build up your business.

I guess I had more advice than I thought.

Poolboy
10-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the advice Steve. I plan on going to the county assessor's office to see if they have a list of in-ground pools in the area. If they do I will be compiling a mailing list to mail out information about the services I will be providing. A website is definitely on the to do list during the off season, but it still looks like I will be "pounding the pavement" for a while to get my name out there.

huggytree
10-24-2010, 10:35 PM
we had a pool guy in my subdivision(pools are really popular around here for some reason...its odd since pool weather is like 4 months here)

he was a teacher who sold chemicals out of his garage in the summer....he added on a garage addition and started to sell accessories....then when he retired from teaching he built a brand new building 2 miles away....he slowly built up his customer base and made a mailing list of all his customers....so when he went full time he had a great start...he sells pools now in addition to the chemicals and accessories...he always did maintanance too......he also sells hot tubs in the winter months...

get to know as many people as possible and look for ways to pinpoint your advertising....im a big believer in starting small and building up....starting full time from scratch probably means your first year will be a loss.....I do like it that your researching on the off season....

KristineS
10-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Definitely join all the local groups you can, Chamber of Commerce etc. Always carry business cards with you and hand them out every chance you get. Even if you don't have a website yet, you could set up a company page on Facebook and set up a Twitter account. Follow people in your area and give out a lot of pool care information and tips. Don't constantly sell on your pages, try instead to be a resource for people locally who have pool questions. You may also want to let the local newspapers, radio and television stations know that you've started your business and you're available for interviews and to give advice. Local media is often hurting for experts and stories, and they like to use local people.

huggytree
10-26-2010, 08:01 PM
advertise in the small local phone book (if you have one)

i get the best bang for my buck on that little book...i actually make profit from it....large books are horrible

ParaTed2k
10-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Since you are the newcomer in a market where one company has enjoyed a monopoly, it's up to you to become the preferred one. You want your name and company to be synonymous with pool services in your area. Since you have no way of proving yourself during the off season, you have to find ways to get them excited about you without it.

Appreciation Marketing is exactly what you need. Talk to people who own pools as soon as you can. Get into networking groups and your local champer of commerce. Learn people's birthdays and other special days so you can send birthday cards. Establishing personal relationships during the winter will reap benefits long after the winter is over.

Steve B
10-27-2010, 05:32 AM
I think sending personal cards to people you barely know is not a very good idea or use of your time and money. Your potential customers are looking for better quality, price, or service - not another birthday card.