PDA

View Full Version : Borders targets bloggers with new e-book publishing platform

Harold Mansfield
10-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Thought this was interesting:

Powered by BookBrewer, "Get Published" will let independent authors publish and sell their e-books through the Borders e-book store in a quick and easy fashion. Borders is specifically targeting bloggers with this service, promising "Blog to e-book in 10 minutes."

"Everyone has a story to tell, pictures to share or advice to give. It turns out that those are exactly the kinds of things people want to buy and read as eBooks," said BookBrewer CEO Dan Pacheco in a statement today. "We're thrilled to have the opportunity to work with an iconic brand like Borders, which not only has an incredible customer base, but also has a great local community focus."

Source:
Borders targets bloggers with new e-book publishing platform | Web Apps News - Betanews (http://www.betanews.com/article/Borders-targets-bloggers-with-new-ebook-publishing-platform/1287169180)

Main Site:
Blog to eBook in 10 Minutes! | BORDERS GET PUBLISHED Powered by BookBrewer (http://borders.bookbrewer.com/)

I've been working on starting a new blog, plus my existing one. It may be worth the money to have them available across other services and markets.

greenoak
10-16-2010, 07:02 AM
that sounds like a good move for them....very innovative....
after seeing some more ebooks, some pretty impressive ones!!!, i have put my ebook ideas on the back burner...maybe in january...

vangogh
10-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Barnes & Noble has something similar I believe. I remember reading something about it last month. It makes sense for both of them.

Just did a search on the B&N site and their platform is called pubit! (http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit_app/bn?t=pi_reg_home)

Barnes & Noble launching PubIt self-publishing platform this summer (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20005380-1.html)

By the way I recently started reading books on my iPad. I've only done it through iBookstore so far, but I have both the Kindle app and the Barnes & Noble app and I'll eventually give both of them a try as well. It's easy to see how people will be reading more on devices like the iPad, Kindle, and Nook and it makes a lot of sense for bookstores to help people self publish. Amazon and B&N are selling their devices less for selling their devices and more to get people to buy their books. The Kindle and Nook may already be selling below cost and if not they likely will be soon. It won't surprise me to see both offered for free or very low cost with the purchase of some books.

KristineS
10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Hmm, this is interesting. I'll have to check both these options out. I imagine if you were a blogger with a following, this might be a good opportunity.

vangogh
10-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Yep. I think today anyone writing an ebook for sale should really make sure their book is also included in each of the major online stores, Amazon, Apple, Barnes & Noble, and Borders. You're still going to have to promote the book, but you should be seeking the wider distribution of the different stores.

billbenson
10-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I wonder what the book stores long term plans are to keep from ending up like Blockbuster which is expected to disappear soon.

vangogh
10-20-2010, 03:25 AM
Depends what you mean by long term. I don't see books going anywhere for awhile. Most people still prefer the feel of a printed book to a device that holds ebooks. But for the time when that might happen the bookstores are all getting involved in selling ebooks. That's why you keep seeing the readers coming down in price. It's not about making a profit on the Kindle or the Nook. It's about getting your ebook reader into your customers hands so they buy their ebooks from your store.

The bookstores are getting involved in what's ahead unlike Blockbuster who waited too late to get on board.

KristineS
10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I don't see print going away any time soon. It will be a gradual evolution.

I think a lot of bookstores are already diversifying. Eventually, I bet they'll have places where you can dock your e-reader in the store and download a book. There's also music and video. Eventually that may all be download only, but I think that's going to be a long process and not instant.

The bookstores that are going to have more problems are the independent bookstores. They won't have the engine behind them that the chain stores have. If I were an independent bookstore owner I would be getting worried.