PDA

View Full Version : What Office Chair

billbenson
10-14-2010, 02:24 PM
I keep buying office chairs from Staples or Office Depot. Within months the foam goes flat. Now after a year or so the leather stiching has ripped out.

Harold, I bought this one about the time you bought your chair. I remember you had a post on your chair.

I want a comfortable chair with a high back that will last. I sit in the thing 12 hours a day! Does anybody have any recommendations.

Harold Mansfield
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
I still have that chair and it still feels fine. I have been thinking about getting another one, but I don't really need it just yet. I paid less than $100 for it too.

billbenson
10-14-2010, 05:23 PM
What was the brand?

Harold Mansfield
10-14-2010, 05:42 PM
What was the brand?

Had to find the link. Looks like the price went up since I purchased it:
Amazon.com: Alera Nico High-Back Swivel/Tilt Chair, Black: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/Alera-High-Back-Swivel-Chair-Black/dp/B001MS6Q8Y/ref=pd_ys_iyr7)

Blessed
10-15-2010, 12:05 AM
I just need a chair that emits low voltage electricity and gives a mild shock to anyone besides myself who approaches the chair...
oh the joys of having your desk in your living room... sigh :)

That does look like a nice chair Harold, mine is similar - I got it second-hand from someone with a fancy office who was going out of business after 6 months.

Business Attorney
10-15-2010, 10:25 AM
At my home, i have the same problem that you do. I buy chairs at the office supply stores and they don't last. They either break, come loose, or just become uncomfortable. At my office, I have had maybe 3 chairs over the last 25 years. I get them from office furniture companies and they probably have run around $500 but they last forever, still look good when I have clients in the office and most important, are comfortable when I sit in them all day. A good office chair is much too important to your health to take lightly.

Lyrafire
10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Bill--I think I bought mine from you! Did you ever sell your chairs at a yard sale on Route 296 in South Carolina? Foam: not so much. Sit back: chair wants to flip over. Nice high back, though. And it forces me to sit up straight. And the casters are worth the $15 I paid for it. :)

cbscreative
10-15-2010, 12:31 PM
At my home, i have the same problem that you do. I buy chairs at the office supply stores and they don't last. They either break, come loose, or just become uncomfortable. At my office, I have had maybe 3 chairs over the last 25 years. I get them from office furniture companies and they probably have run around $500 but they last forever, still look good when I have clients in the office and most important, are comfortable when I sit in them all day. A good office chair is much too important to your health to take lightly.

I completely agree that a good chair is too valuable to be purchased on price alone. I did get a great deal on mine, but it was 20 years ago, and they were used when I bought them. I know how old they are because the manufacture date is on the bottom. One is 1977 and the other is 78, but they are a matching set. Sure, they look "dated" because they were contemporary when they were made, but extremely comfortable and obviously very durable. They match the office decor, look really good yet, and offer a bit of a statement, so I have no need or desire to replace them.

I'm not saying this to advocate 1970's furniture, but to point out the importance of quality. Who made them? Herman Miller. Yes, you pay big bucks for HM, even used, but I think it's worth it. Considering how much time I spend sitting in mine, I would definitely know if it was causing fatigue.

billbenson
10-15-2010, 05:41 PM
You got me thinking Steve: I went on craigslist and just bought an Ethan Allen chair for $75 that retails for $1100. Nice comfortable thing that looks like it should last a long time.

cbscreative
10-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Sounds like a steal, bill, congrats. You'll probably be very glad for that decision.