View Full Version : What do you think about all the earthquakes that have been going on?

prettyimpress
10-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Do you think it's Earth's way of trying to tell us something, or is it just it's natural way of movement?

I believe in the second choice. I don't really want to believe in the "world is ending" scenario.

Harold Mansfield
10-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't believe in "end of the world" rhetoric either. People have been predicting the end of the world since the the beginning of the world.
I don't think the Earth is doing anything that it hasn't been doing for 1000's (or millions) of years, we are just keeping more accurate records using more sensitive measuring equipment to mark it.
If Mt St.Helen's erupted for 100 days in the early 1400's, do you think anyone in Europe recorded it? or Cared? Or even knew what was happening?

I also don't think that when speaking of the Earth, we can measure natural events according to our time line of our human lifespan.

Ask me that question again on December 13th 2012.

nealrm
10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
There are no more earthquake going on today than there were 5 or 10 years ago. The news media just get on kicks were they will report on everything related to a certain subject. Next year they will all be reporting on sun spot activity, plane crashes or some other current "Crisis".

Spider
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM
I think it's the Republican's fault!

No! Wait - I mean, it's the Democrat's fault!

No! wait! - It's the Irish!

No! Wait........

...(this being a business forum) -- it's the banks' fault!

cbscreative
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Even during the time they have been taking measurements, the frequency of earthquakes has been increasing, but I wouldn't use that to predict an end of the world date. It's true the Bible does say this will happen near the end, but there are several other "signs" mentioned too. Ironically, what most people don't seem to realize is the Bible is not exclusive in predicting the end of the world. The Quoran has a lot of "prophecy" about the end too. If you were to study both, and familiarize yourself with the attitudes of the followers of both, you might end up with a whole new appreciation for current events whether you believe either one or not.

BTW, bookmark this post and read it on December 22, 2012 (maybe even label it "Do not open until Christmas 2012"). The reason I can say that is I'll guarantee the world will not end on 12/21/12. That's a bold guarantee, but I'm quite sure of it.

Harold Mansfield
10-13-2010, 01:08 PM
If you just look at what the earth is...a rock 25,000 miles in circumference, floating and spinning in a gravitational pull around the hottest star in the galaxy. It's molten, boiling rock in the center, yet frozen on both ends and covered with cool liquid, while the middle temperatures fluctuate from hot to cold over and over again and rocks are constantly being hurled at it at lightening speeds from all sides of the galaxy.
You'd be a little volatile too.

We are still trying to figure it out, so there is no way that anyone can say that the earth is trying to tell us something because we don't even know what it's supposed to do.
For pete's sake, one of the most volatile, active volcanic regions in the world (Yellowstone) is a tourist attraction where people walk right up to the mysterious pressurized hole in the ground and take pictures.

We don't know nothing about the earth, never did. If we did, no one would ever build a city at the base of a volcano. But we do. And then we hope that it will never erupt. If we had the earth all figured out, would we do that?
We don't even know what's at the bottom the oceans.

billbenson
10-13-2010, 01:17 PM
From everything I've read, there haven't been any more earthquakes. They just have been happening in more populated locations so the get more publicity and cause more destruction.

Spider
10-13-2010, 01:20 PM
.... but I'm beginning to think it might be the French.

cbscreative
10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
.... but I'm beginning to think it might be the French.

What about the Swiss? It's the quiet ones you need to worry about.

KristineS
10-13-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't think it's anything all that different than what has been happening. Everything goes in cycles. One year it's hurricanes. One year it's earthquakes. One year it's blizzards. I'm not particularly concerned that it means the world is coming to an end.

Lyrafire
10-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Look up plate tectonics. The Earth's plates shift. They always have. They always will. I think the whole 2012 thing is hilarious. If I'm wrong, I guess I don't have to worry about retirement anymore.

ParaTed2k
10-16-2010, 06:02 PM
My reaction to natural disasters is a bit different than most. I spent a few years going on disaster relief operations. I have just enough braincells still geared toward them, so when I here news of one, part of me gets ready to head out and go to work. Sadly, I can't be in that business anymore. My mind still goes over what the plan should be and how to respond, but the thoughts fade with the small shot of adrenalin.

Now I guess I'm like everyone else, I worry about, and pray for the people affected and their familiies, and cheer on the emergency workers who get to go work the scene.

efraim
10-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Look up plate tectonics. The Earth's plates shift. They always have. They always will. I think the whole 2012 thing is hilarious. If I'm wrong, I guess I don't have to worry about retirement anymore.

Yes it just plates shift. It happens in my country many times but I still don't believe 1212 would be the end.