PDA

View Full Version : Fitness clothing industry

bturley
10-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Hi, this is my first time ever using a forum like this and want to thank all of you ahead of time for your input and thoughts. I'm considering starting a fitness clothing line starting off with t-shirts being made at a local screen printer. My question is what are your thoughts on the fitness industry as far as clothing? From my research there's not really that much of a market for the fitness industry, people say to follow your passions, well my passion is fitness, clothes, teaching others about fitness. I think anyone who has ever started a business goes through this critical decision of whether or not you'll make it out there in the world, (your product, or service). That's my niche, any thoughts on tying trendy fitness clothing in with a healthy lifestyle approach. Would you wear a fresh new design while working out, and outside the gym. Thanks for your thoughts.! Brad

Steve B
10-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Hi Brad,

I think the basis for your decision is O.K. (following your passion). Now, you have a lot of research to do to find out if you can come up with a viable business model. I don't know anything about manufacturing or selling clothing, so I can't really help on that.

I'm not sure I understand how t-shirts from a local screen printer fits into the category of fitness clothing. Is it a shirt made of special material - or are you talking about a regular t-shirt?

Harold Mansfield
10-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi Brad,
I totally agree that you should follow your passions. But I have to disagree that there isn't a big market for such things. From what I see it is a huge market with tons of competition.
Is it possible that you are talking about a different type of fitness/athletic apparel than what I'm thinking about?

Patrysha
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
The fitness clothing I know about is fairly lucrative...but it wouldn't be coming from a local screenprinter like other posters have mentioned. The clothing I've seen in the local gym and the local sports stores is all about the high-tech fabrics...

billbenson
10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Fitness clothing and clothing for particular sports is expensive. And no, I'm not talking about a Nike T Shirt either. Clothes that fit you differently for various sports. Its all expensive either on line or at sporting goods stores and isn't available at discount shops. I have to think the margins are high. Whether you can buy from a distributor at a decent price is another issue.

Harold Mansfield
10-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I would ask what your financial situation is to break into this market because it is controlled by some very large corporations. T-shirts are not going to do it.
If you really want to break into it, I would guess that you have some design experience. You would have to. It's much more than a cool name, fancy logo and catchy slogan.
I would try and work for an existing company as a designer and build some credibility and reputation in the industry and then take that experience and then go out on your own.

billbenson
10-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I think you will probably need to go to smaller distributors at first for the products. You won't make much money if any. Once your sales volume has built up, you can try to go to master distributors or get better discounting.

NewbytoBiz@123
05-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I like you idea, as it use to be mine as well. I like to promote health and fitness and thought about doing and online fitness gear type of line. I have relinquished the thought due to other obligations with life and not sure how it would do in today's market. Have you thought about buying wholesale? Would you be selling this online? or Retail? Does the community you live in have a parks or recreation area, as this may give you a better edge as to growing your fitness line.

huggytree
05-08-2012, 07:37 AM
if YOUR research says there's not much of a market then why are you doing it?

there's a problem right there....if there really IS a market for your product like everyone else is saying then the way your researching it is bad....if you dont know how to research it correctly then you may not know your market(your buyer).........if your research IS correct then why would you get into something you know has a poor chance of success....

I have many passions too.....i enjoy looking at fast cars and beautiful women.....but i wouldnt try to make a business from it.....i followed where the money is...i chose to get into a trade because of the high pay rate and the ease of starting a business in this trade....yea i enjoy it too....

Passion is a great thing...but choosing something just because of your passion isnt a great thing.....it may blind you

KristineS
05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi Brad. I don't usually recommend one forum on another, but since you're talking fitness clothing, I think you should also check out T-Shirt Forums (http://www.t-shirtforums.com/). That forum is all about garment decoration and they can provide guidance specifically about clothing that most of us here probably can't.

As for whether the fitness market is saturated, there is always room for a new brand, but it won't be easy to cheap to establish yourself. Make sure you really understand what it's going to take before you get started.

stylishlyfit
05-08-2012, 04:00 PM
As an online fitness clothing boutique owner, I do see a upward trend for the health conscious generation who would like to shop for their workout clothing online.
The right products, a good marketing plan, and patience are all good to have while embarking on the fitness market. Make the shopping experience for activewear agood one for your customer and she/he will return...with friends!

<please set up a signature>

chimpinainteasy
05-13-2012, 06:26 PM
The reason I started a retail store to sell other peoples clothes was because I realized that people who want to start their own clothing line are a dime a dozen. I was one of them.

I can produce shirts at around 6-7 dollars each if I replicate the quality of the shirts in my store, but the shirts in my store say big name brands on them and only run me 8.50-11 bucks each. So for a person to come to me that owns a shirt company, their profit would be about 2.50-3.50 per shirt, and thats assuming I would for some reason rather sell their brand than a MAJOR brand.

the only thing you need to think about is you in the meeting with a store owner that is asking you why he/she would carry your brand of sport clothing vs the nike, addidas, or whoever.

or else, do you have the capital to fund a large online marketing campaign on running/athletic forum and communities to do the sales all online via your webpage.