PDA

View Full Version : Emotion

ParaTed2k
10-13-2010, 02:09 AM
The goods and services we offer are what we do, but what we really sell is... emotion.

I've used this off and on as kind of a "tagline" in networking groups and online dicussions. Of course, some agree with it, others don't. One of the reasons a friend of mine disagreed was, he said that in the finance business, emotion is the last thing he wants with a client.

I asked him, ok, even if you don't want your clients to be emotional about their financial decisions, how do you want them to be when they are talking to their friends about you?

We all want to be preferred by those in the market for our goods and services. How do we get preferred if we don't strive for an emotional attachment from our valued customers?

I drank Mt Dew from the age of 12 to the end of last year. Drinking Mt Dew became a part of my identity. My friends are shocked when they learn I've given up soda pop completely. That is the kind of customer we're all looking for, and you don't get that without tying your name to their best memories.

greenoak
10-13-2010, 05:49 AM
i look at it a little less personal.... but i want the customers to have a great experience at the store....a fun pleasurable experience...and i feel so good when they later tell me how much they like what they bought ....or that they come to the store for their green oak fix, . i want to be their go to place.....and if they really like me or more likely my son or my star employee so much the better...
if i were using a financial guy...and that sounds stressful, , i would definitley feel better if some good feelings were floating around.... not hugs....but real respect and hope and faith that he was on the up and up...
im not into hugs and fake friendliness...but a happy time is good...imho...one of our tag lines is a fun place to shop...
i have 20 + yrs history with lots of customers...so there are occasional hugs involved....and real attachment...

Spider
10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
About 20 years ago, when we decided to expand my wife's pet grooming business into pet boarding, I purchased an ongoing franchisee business. The first client the previous owner had became the first client I had, and we still board their dogs today (I'm picking them up again this evening, in fact - third set of dogs.) I still call her "Mrs. Smith" (not her real name) and she calls me Frederick. I have watched their little girl grow up to being a pet-owning univesity student and board her dog when she comes home for visits. "Mrs.Smith" has referred so much business we could have given her free boarding for the past 20 years and still be ahead.

There's emotion in that, although not a single hug, although I walk in and out of their house like I live there. Ted is right on - and his finance friend is failing to see the emotion he needs to generate to be a cut above at his job. The sort of emotional attachment Ann seems to have generated.

It's the difference between having "good customers" and "raving fans."

KristineS
10-13-2010, 04:27 PM
I definitely agree that you should forge a bond with your customers if you can. That doesn't mean not being professional, it just means creating a memory and a link that keeps them coming back. When I go to trade shows, I have customers come up and hug me and tell me they came to the show just to see me. It may be someone I've never seen until that minute, but I know about their business and what we've done to help them and that creates a link that makes the customer feel important.

Emotion does matter, both positive and negative. No one can do more damage to a company than a customer that feels lied to or betrayed. You have to be aware of both sides of the kind.

ParaTed2k
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
To all 3 of you.. Exactly! While hugs aren't necessary (and often not appropriate), we do want to generate excitement in our customers. At least enough to get them telling their friends about us. I think fake friendliness works the opposite way. I know if I sense a person is being fake with me, I don't usually go back.

KristineS
10-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Fake friendliness is a definite no-no. I think you can be professional and genuine without overdoing it. I don't need every customer and potential customer to be my best friend, and don't need them to know details about my personal life nor do I want to know details about theirs. I just want to form a bond over the business they do with us and have them walk away feeling that we're trustworthy and worth doing business with again.

greenoak
10-14-2010, 05:59 PM
i have to remember back when we had a record store and the discounters came to town....the customers...teens, still liked us but they bought their records at the other place...about 1$$ cheaper... just sayin...you have to have the right thing to sell as well..
ted, can we see your site?

huggytree
10-16-2010, 09:12 AM
i always try to become friends with my customers...they arent hiring my company, they are hiring ME...as i get ready to grow i will lose some of that connection i have.

when i walk into a house i always look for something i like....an old car, a dog, a collection...something to make a conversation about...a connection...i always pick something that i am truly interested in, so its not fake (i dont say nice hummel collection)........they hire me again and again because they want to see their friend Dave again...this type of relationship doesnt always happen, but its always my goal.....repeat customers ask me about my kids or my vacations...when you get to this level price is never even an issue anymore...plus it makes the day more enjoyable

when you have a connection your customers also trust you...your advice is gospel