PDA

View Full Version : Marketing a Sports Program for Special Needs Children

boogle
10-11-2010, 12:17 PM
So I am working with a non-profit that runs sports programs for special needs children. They have been around 6 years and have a steady base of kids, typically around 150/year. They have asked me to evaluate their marketing plan and try to find ways to get more kids involved, they have been steady at around 150-200 kids for 3 years now. They run sports year-round, baseball, soccer, basketball, bowling, and hockey. They are also adapted to meet the needs of any kid regardless of how sever their disability is.

Right now, they have almost no marketing. They have a pretty poorly built website, they stay in touch with the kids already involved, have an okay base of donors, and their income pretty much meets their expenses with a little each year to drop in savings. As always, they are not wanting to spend much if anything on marketing.

Those of you that know a little about me, I am pretty new to this and this is one of my first jobs. I have come up with 2 strategies that I want to implement simultaneously (on top of streamlining their materials and revamping the site). (I will add databases of families with special needs children is legally protected, so a strategic mailer or contact list is out of the picture)

First, they do not really have a newsletter. They have their participants emails on file and contact them when the next sports signups are etc. But they do not have a way to get prospects on their list. I am recommending they begin a monthly newsletter that tackles issues faced by a lot of special needs families. Tax breaks that are available, local pediatricians that specialize in the area, ideas for games and activities etc. The organization has a lot of this knowledge and there is no centralized place to find information like this in our town. A lot of parents who have special needs children have at least one stay at home parent, which to me suggests that a lot of them spend a substantial amount of time online. I think the newsletter, promoted through local forums, facebook groups, and even promoted to local schools and doctors would be a great way to get people signed up and valuing the organization, and then eventually signing up for a program. The newsletter would have a side bar with a new testimonial and information about getting involved in their sports.

Secondly, they have around 150 kids who love their program and they are doing nothing to turn those families into marketers. I want to implement a referral system, offering any current participant 50% off their next program for any new client who signs up for a program.

As I said, this is one of my first jobs, so I just wanted some input. How does this sound? Are their ideas to make these strategies better? Am I on the right track or should I be looking at things differently?

Thank you all so much for your help.

vangogh
10-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Both of your ideas sound good to me. Neither should cost all that much money and both sound like they can help stay in touch with people already using the program and help generate new business. I do think you should try to get the business to see past the thought of not wanting to spend money on marketing. They either have to spend money or time if they want to grow the business. Instead of seeing marketing as something you spend money on they need to see it as an investment to help their business bring in more money. Get them to invest in the website and other traditional and web forms of marketing.

Why not set up an olympics sort of thing for the kids. Have them compete in some of the different sports and make it an event. Something like that should be incredibly easy to get PR for. All the families come out to support all the kids and bring a larger crowd with them. I would think the press would love that sort of thing too. It's such an easy story to promote. it would cost money to set up an event and you'd need to get the word out to the local papers, radio, and tv stations. If you talk to a PR person (we have some here by the way) they should be able to help you figure out the best way to set up the event as well as how to contact the press.

KristineS
10-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I think your newsletter idea is a good one and could be done for a relatively small expense.

I would also remind you not to forget Twitter and Facebook when developing your marketing plan. Many people don't consider using Facebook or Twitter for local contacts, but many organizations have done it successfully. These sites are free ways to develop publicity, and to communicate with potential customers. You do have to invest some time to make the feeds worth following, but it can be very worth it.

rdcclu
10-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I think one possible answer to both your board's unwillingness to spend money on marketing as well as getting the word out about your programs is partnering up with local businesses.

You sound very sharp so I'm sure you can take this and run with it. But let me give you a couple thoughts just off the top of my head. I'm guessing this will spark many other ideas.

1. Every business has its own database of customers and clients. Use theirs instead of starting from scratch.
2. Your programs are the kind that tug at the heart of any business owner. They would welcome the chance to help (while realizing they are going to get some free PR).
3. Contact your local radio stations. Would they be willing to do a 30 second spot using some of their unsold advertising time?
4. The same for local magazines, if you live in a big enough city. Not all their ad space is sold for each issue.
5. Is there a college or university in your community? There's a lot of ideas here. The best part is they probably already have a budget. Something has to go on all those drink containers at sporting events.
6. Almost every community has a group that comprises all the local pastors and ministers. That's a way to cover a lot of ground just by getting the support of one group.

Hope that provides some help.

boogle
10-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for all the input so far everyone. We currently offer a few events that get some pretty good publicity. We have a couple of minor league sports teams that come out and play against the kids as a fundraiser.

As for the database of customers and clients, how would you initialize that. Would you just simply ask them to forward your newsletter to their newsletter's recipients in return for being listed as a sponsor?

Love the radio ad idea, I have a recording studio so throwing that together should be pretty simple. We have the 2nd or 3 largest university in TN in our town. The sponsorship is a great idea.

I am not too involved with local religious organization, any idea what the group of pastors and ministers might be called. I have done a few google runs with no success.

Thanks

vangogh
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
We have a couple of minor league sports teams that come out and play against the kids as a fundraiser.

I think that's a great idea.

dynocat
10-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi boogle.

You might want to check out Eagle Mount (http://www.eaglemount.org/) in Bozeman, MT. They are a very well organized, growing local organization that
Creates therapeutic and recreational opportunities for people of all ages and disabilities. Information provided about programs available, ...

I'm guessing you'd get all kinds of ideas as far as the website, fund raising and marketing organization from their site.

Good luck