PDA

View Full Version : My "Why" Statement

ParaTed2k
10-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Hello, I'm Ted!

How does a middle aged guy go from being a paratrooper, parachute rigger, paramedic, artillery, wild land firefighter search & rescue, and disaster recovery to teaching guitar and running an online business?

Just lucky I guess!

Like most people, I spent my first 20 years being a kid... and enjoying it! Unlike most people, I spent my second 20 years raising a family while making my living as a professional adrenalin and service junky.

I also (like a lot of service oriented people) didn't think money was anything I should base decisions on...

But then I noticed something. I couldn't have done any of the services I provided if someone with money didn't foot the bill. I also noticed that it was the people in charge of that money who got to decide what help was available, and who it was available to. In other words, the Golden Rule even effects phylanthropy.

So I decided, why let the others have all the fun. Why not make that money myself, then finance my own service projects.

So that's what brought me here (as well as other business oriented forums and websites). I hope I get to learn from you, and maybe you might even learn something from me.

See you around the forums!!!

Spider
10-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Welcome aboard, Ted. Jumping out of airplanes is not my idea of fun. Good thing it takes all kinds to make a world!

cbscreative
10-11-2010, 10:21 AM
That's an interesting intro, Ted. Welcome aboard. It looks like you've already dove in to the forum just fine, so I'll be seeing you in other threads. BTW, jumping out of airplanes would be my idea of fun, I just haven't taken the opportunity to do it yet.

SEOHelp
10-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the forum Ted!
I say if there is nothing wrong with the plane - no reason to jump out. Now for my husband that's a different story - he loves jumping out of planes.
That's whats great about this forum you will get to chat will a lot of different people and learn a lot from each other.

Business Attorney
10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Welcome to our community, Ted, and thanks for the extensive introduction. Those of us who have been around for a while (and that includes almost all the "regulars") eventually come to know quite a bit about each other, but you have jump started that process. I look forward to seeing you join in our conversations.

billbenson
10-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I jumped out of an airplane 30 years ago. Dislocated my knee and didn't do it again. It was fun until I hit the ground though!

Make a post of what you are trying to do online and we'll help you any way we can.

Blessed
10-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Ted! I'll side with those here who don't go for jumping out of airplanes... I mean, if it's mechanically fine, why abandon the ship? However... I would love to try hang-gliding one of these days. :D

Glad to have another musician here - I play piano, organ, sing and am learning the accordion - I love music!

vangogh
10-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the forum Ted. You've certainly had a lot more excitement in your life than I've had. The good thing is all that excitement probably taught you a lot more about business than you may even realize. You're prepared for all the risks you have to take and I doubt you're going to be squeamish when it comes to making decisions or taking a chance spending money on marketing.

Being able to make those decisions is one reason many of us went into business and I'm sure you'll be glad you took that step too. Looking forward to getting to know you better and thanks for joining the community.

KristineS
10-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the forum Ted. It sounds like you've had some adventures.

ParaTed2k
10-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Welcome aboard, Ted. Jumping out of airplanes is not my idea of fun. Good thing it takes all kinds to make a world!

Thanks Spider! I know jumping isn't for everyone, but it is for me! Jumping is fun, getting paid to jump was awesome! :~D

ParaTed2k
10-12-2010, 02:52 PM
That's an interesting intro, Ted. Welcome aboard. It looks like you've already dove in to the forum just fine, so I'll be seeing you in other threads. BTW, jumping out of airplanes would be my idea of fun, I just haven't taken the opportunity to do it yet.

Yeah, as you can see, I'm not usually the "dip my toe in" kind of guy. I jumped into the forums and I'm looking forward to seeing where the jump takes me... or where I can take it. ;~D

ParaTed2k
10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum Ted!
I say if there is nothing wrong with the plane - no reason to jump out. Now for my husband that's a different story - he loves jumping out of planes.
That's whats great about this forum you will get to chat will a lot of different people and learn a lot from each other.

Hey SEOHelp! People always ask "Why would anyone want to jump from a perfectly good airplane?" My answer to that is, "A perfectly good airplane is the only kind I ever want to jump out of!" ;~D

Maybe someday your husband and I can get our knees in the same breeze!

cbscreative
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Ted. It sounds like you've had some adventures.

Maybe even Excellent Adventures. Sorry, just couldn't resist. :)

My jokes do get better, I promise.

MommyL
10-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Nice to meet you Ted! Good luck with your new adventure.

ParaTed2k
10-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Welcome to our community, Ted, and thanks for the extensive introduction. Those of us who have been around for a while (and that includes almost all the "regulars") eventually come to know quite a bit about each other, but you have jump started that process. I look forward to seeing you join in our conversations.

Yeah, after reading the introduction posts from others, I noticed mine was a bit longer than most. Hopefully it wasn't long and boring though. I kind of figured that "jump starting the process" was kind of the point here.

I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forums too!

ParaTed2k
10-12-2010, 06:22 PM
I jumped out of an airplane 30 years ago. Dislocated my knee and didn't do it again. It was fun until I hit the ground though!

Make a post of what you are trying to do online and we'll help you any way we can.

Yeah, they say, "if at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving" :~D

I have, and will continue to make posts, but what I'm trying to do online is learn small business from people who run them.

Thanks for the welcome, and see you around the forums!

ParaTed2k
10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Maybe even Excellent Adventures. Sorry, just couldn't resist. :)

My jokes do get better, I promise.

Thanks Bill..er, I mean Steve! :~D

greenoak
10-14-2010, 06:55 AM
welcome ted..i cant even fly ...
..i hope you like it here....and share whats working in your world...

Lyrafire
10-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm with SEOHelp--if it ain't broke, don't jump!

So, did you get bored with the routine, or what?

Anyway, welcome to the forum! People here are good and helpful.

Patrysha
10-15-2010, 07:34 PM
It depends on who your market is...the online small business owner does not appear to represent the average small business owner in my area. Most small business owners here are not online and actively engaged in learning and growth experiences through forums, email groups and social media. If I am wrong and they are all online they're not letting marketers know about it...lol