PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to obtain a backdateed DBA?

David4321
10-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I have been doing business for a number of years. I now plan to incorporate the business, and I have been told that if I had filed a DBA when I began doing business, then I would be able to incorporate the duration of the existing business activity as the age of the new corporation, which would be valuable to me.

So my question is: Is there any way NOW to obtain a DBA which is in any way "backdated" to represent the full actual duration of the business activity?

Thanks for any help or research leads.

vangogh
10-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I have no idea, but I'm guessing you can't. Thought I'd respond in the hopes that others who do know might notice the thread.

Lots of thing would be valuable to us in hindsight, but most have a limited time frame in which to take advantage. I can see where you might be able to incorporate at a slightly earlier time than the present, though I wouldn't think you could go back a number of years.

Harold Mansfield
10-10-2010, 01:29 AM
I don't know for sure either, but it doesn't sound legal.

Spider
10-10-2010, 09:34 AM
It doesn't sound logical to me. If you weren't incorporated last year, you didn't function as a corporation then and backdating your date of incorporation cannot change that fact. Likewise, if you didn't have an assumed name (DBA) registered last year you were not operating under the assumed name, you were operating under your own name, even though you might have been leading your customers to believe otherwise.